RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this has already been beaten to death..........I'm wanting a tonneau for my 2020 Laramie ED Crew 4x4. Wondering which is the best and why? I'm leaning towards the retractable models, not the fold up or roll up ones. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Forgive me if this has already been beaten to death..........I'm wanting a tonneau for my 2020 Laramie ED Crew 4x4. Wondering which is the best and why? I'm leaning towards the retractable models, not the fold up or roll up ones. Thanks in advance.
I have a 2019 DS Classic Laramie you probably have the DT body style. Either way I chose the soft fold up unit that was economical and I don't leave outside and don't store tools and such inside the bed. If you want security then the hard fold, retractable or the hard cap would be best. With my fold up I can undo clamps easily and remove whole cover to haul something large in the bed. It's not heavy and easy to put back on. I did have to work on getting the proper seals in place to keep water out but it works great. It's just a matter of what you'll need, security, cost, ease of install etc. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
20 Posts
I definitely gravitate to the retractable and these more secure models than the original soft tonneau covers for security and other reasons. I researched quite a bit for my then new 2017 Ram and went with the Retrax. Selected the same with my 2021 EcoD. I was looking hard at the American Roll but in hind site now would have selected the American Roll (by just a slight edge). Happy with the Retrax this second time around but the American Roll has slats that are much narrower. End result is that the “box” that the system is stored in is significantly smaller. Reason I went with the Retrax was due to longer warranty. Both are very similar mechanically and in the locking function. The American Roll is a little more water tight although the Retrax is pretty dang good. Can’t go wrong either way. Fold up models don’t work for my needs so can’t comment on them.

Let us know what you end up with and if good/bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leaning towards the Retrax MX Pro retractable. As most know, the Gator is just a rebranded Retrax, and Retrax makes them and has a lifetime warranty on the MX Pro. Can't find many bad things written about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went with the Bakflip MK4 and just installed it last weekend. Like it so far and is a lot more secure than the access covers I have had on my last couple trucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts