RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel 12/16/19 and stuffed it into the garage to avoid the snow storm heading to New England. Ran around town a few times afterwards and a few days after Christmas we headed down to Cleveland, OH and then onto Raleigh, NC. and then back to the Boston, MA area. We traveled around 70-75 mph and we averaged around 25.3 mpg totaled. In each of our stops we ran around town a bit for sightseeing and even drove down to the coast from Raleigh to see friends.

Overall experience is this truck is an absolute Cadillac of a ride. Very smooth, very quiet and plenty of power when needed. The creature comforts are second to none. The only thing I wished I would have done differently was to have the stock power folding mirrors. I opted in for the trailer tow mirrors, and these wind sails I am certain cost me 1-2 mpg. We averaged 25.3 and the best I saw on flat road no wind to speak of was around 27mpg. I am still very impressed that a 1/2 ton truck this size can get 25mpg and we were up and down some moderate size mountains coming through West Virginia. We left and mileage was around 350 miles on the truck and got back with appox 2800 miles.

Couple of quirks:
1. Seems like once in a while when backing up the backup sensor senses something behind the truck and the safety stop engaged.... sort of gets your attention... and there was actually nothing behind us.
2. Was changing lanes once and I believe I was actually braking and also had my foot on the accelerator a bit and Service Warning came on and hesitated for a couple of seconds to accelerate. This may just be a safety issue where if you are on the brake and also accelerator the safety warning pops up.
3. I have used about 5 gallons of DEF in the 2800 miles so far. I was told that 5 gallons of DEF would last for about 8000 miles... maybe its a break in thing ????
4. Rambox on passenger side slightly warped.

Final comments:
1. The ride is unbelievably smooth and quiet.
2. Backseat is VERY large and my friends rode in the back for a couple hundred miles and said is was very comfortable.... they are now going to look into buying a new Ram
3. The large display screen is very easy to use and navigate.
4. Wasn't sure if I would like the split tail gate, but is has already proven that I will use that more then just the drop down function.
5. Headlights and fogs will certainly turn any dark road into very viewable road.

So far loving this truck ! ! !

·
Super Moderator
2,542 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience And glad to see it was positive. A couple things, 25mpg running 75mph is doing great on fuel mileage in my opinion. Also it sounds as though the use of def has been increased significantly as def usage has nothing to do with break in. Most likely they have increased def usage to limit EGR usage as much as possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should have added that one of the most impressive or convenient parts of the trip from Raleigh to Boston was that fact that I filled the 33 gal tank and not once had to add fuel and it was 705 miles door to door and the display still noted that there was 90 miles till empty. That would have been like 3 fill ups in my old King Ranch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So ya, it used more DEF when breaking in, they all do. After maybe 12,000 miles it settles in to the 10,000 range. I don't know if they changed the tank size on the 2020, my 2016 is around 8 gal. Really, don't tell us you are one of those that drives with one foot on the brake and one foot on the go peddle , please don't o_O:oops:;)

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
A couple points. Yes, the towing mirrors are nice but large. When I was choosing the specs for what I ordered I stumbled onto a note that said there was no 360 degree camera view with the trailer tow mirros so that settled it for me this time so I bought the brake controil as a separate item and kept the stock mirrors. Glad I did.

Ref the backup warnings I have had the same problem on my new 2020 and my 2018 Pacifica. I went into the Uconnect settings and shut off the automatic brake application so all I get is a sound warning and I can apply the brakes if I want but I found the magic automatic brake application when it decided it wanted to wasn't for me on either vehicle.

I agree that they are beautiful vehicles for a trip and as quiet and comfortable as nearly anything else you can buy.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Usually I like people in the back seat to be uncomfortable. That way they get out of there and get their own ride. You use it to sell more Rams. Pretty unique.

This is the kind report many will find both informative in many areas. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to create and post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Usually I like people in the back seat to be uncomfortable. That way they get out of there and get their own ride. You use it to sell more Rams. Pretty unique.

This is the kind report many will find both informative in many areas. Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to create and post.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i'm still waiting on my Laramie Billet Silver Night Edition truck to be built. I also added the Off-Road package to mine and no sun roof. Very nice looking truck you've got.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I must have missed the specs on truck? 4WD, 3.92, quad/crew, 5'7" or 6'4" bed??

·
Registered
895 Posts
An average of ~25mpg at 70-75 mph sounds pretty normal on a truck with no miles. My lifetime average is just over 22 mpg and I'm at about 33k miles in two years. It looks like this tank is going to be higher, so maybe the 30k miles was a sweet spot for break in.

I agree that the ride is what sold us. Having all that room is the cab was a bonus. It was great when my granddaughter was too small to get in her car seat and one of use could stand, well stoop really, in the backseat and buckle her in. Now we just leave the flat floor in place and she climbs up and in. Just have to reach over to buckle. The truck is wide enough that two adults and the car seat can be comfortable for awhile. Not giving time since I'm either behind the wheel or in the front passnager seat. One of the benefits of being an old fart!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts