RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
ckslack,

Is this your first Ecodiesel?

I just started receiving a social security annuity that I don't need so I can have a expensive new truck for the rest of my life and was pricing out 2020 Limited.

I would configure it without the tow package so I could get the regular mirrors and the surround camera, and just add the brake controller as an option.

If you had a prior year Ecodiesel how does the 2020 compare? Since my 2015 only has 50k miles on it and 20k left on my extended warranty I will probably keep it for a while and get a '21 or later truck but I really like all the options on the Limited.

Is the 12" screen really that easy to operate without really looking at it? I'm on a business trip and my rental has a large touch screen and no knobs and I find myself spending too much time looking at it instead of the road...might be an unfamiliarity thing as well.

Other than the warped Rambox cover, does it take up much if any bed space? I had a Honda Ridgeline and so miss the in bed trunk so the Rambox is of interest to me.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I looked at the 20 with the Ramboxes on the dealer's showroom floor last week. The boxes fill from the inside edge of the wheel wells and I don't think they add any height to the sidewalls. The big question is what do you need the bed for and how often? If you're going to be hauling landscaping materials, firewood, rock, etc, then the Ramboxes will limit what you can load in there. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about cleaning the corners above the wheel wells out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Picked up the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel 12/16/19 and stuffed it into the garage to avoid the snow storm heading to New England. Ran around town a few times afterwards and a few days after Christmas we headed down to Cleveland, OH and then onto Raleigh, NC. and then back to the Boston, MA area. We traveled around 70-75 mph and we averaged around 25.3 mpg totaled. In each of our stops we ran around town a bit for sightseeing and even drove down to the coast from Raleigh to see friends.

Overall experience is this truck is an absolute Cadillac of a ride. Very smooth, very quiet and plenty of power when needed. The creature comforts are second to none. The only thing I wished I would have done differently was to have the stock power folding mirrors. I opted in for the trailer tow mirrors, and these wind sails I am certain cost me 1-2 mpg. We averaged 25.3 and the best I saw on flat road no wind to speak of was around 27mpg. I am still very impressed that a 1/2 ton truck this size can get 25mpg and we were up and down some moderate size mountains coming through West Virginia. We left and mileage was around 350 miles on the truck and got back with appox 2800 miles.

Couple of quirks:
1. Seems like once in a while when backing up the backup sensor senses something behind the truck and the safety stop engaged.... sort of gets your attention... and there was actually nothing behind us.
2. Was changing lanes once and I believe I was actually braking and also had my foot on the accelerator a bit and Service Warning came on and hesitated for a couple of seconds to accelerate. This may just be a safety issue where if you are on the brake and also accelerator the safety warning pops up.
3. I have used about 5 gallons of DEF in the 2800 miles so far. I was told that 5 gallons of DEF would last for about 8000 miles... maybe its a break in thing ????
4. Rambox on passenger side slightly warped.

Final comments:
1. The ride is unbelievably smooth and quiet.
2. Backseat is VERY large and my friends rode in the back for a couple hundred miles and said is was very comfortable.... they are now going to look into buying a new Ram
3. The large display screen is very easy to use and navigate.
4. Wasn't sure if I would like the split tail gate, but is has already proven that I will use that more then just the drop down function.
5. Headlights and fogs will certainly turn any dark road into very viewable road.

So far loving this truck ! ! !
What about LAG when it is first started and cold. Like what the AEM did to Gen 2 engines. Is it gone?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I looked at the 20 with the Ramboxes on the dealer's showroom floor last week. The boxes fill from the inside edge of the wheel wells and I don't think they add any height to the sidewalls. The big question is what do you need the bed for and how often? If you're going to be hauling landscaping materials, firewood, rock, etc, then the Ramboxes will limit what you can load in there. On the other hand, you won't have to worry about cleaning the corners above the wheel wells out.
The bed with the ramboxes isn’t impaired. Takes 4x8 sheets of drywall, and as far as mulch goes it will take a yard and the difference in volume isn’t impacted (e.g., it’s not like they are preventing me from 2cu yards, that wouldn’t happen either way.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picked up the 2020 Ram Ecodiesel 12/16/19 and stuffed it into the garage to avoid the snow storm heading to New England. Ran around town a few times afterwards and a few days after Christmas we headed down to Cleveland, OH and then onto Raleigh, NC. and then back to the Boston, MA area. We traveled around 70-75 mph and we averaged around 25.3 mpg totaled. In each of our stops we ran around town a bit for sightseeing and even drove down to the coast from Raleigh to see friends.

Overall experience is this truck is an absolute Cadillac of a ride. Very smooth, very quiet and plenty of power when needed. The creature comforts are second to none. The only thing I wished I would have done differently was to have the stock power folding mirrors. I opted in for the trailer tow mirrors, and these wind sails I am certain cost me 1-2 mpg. We averaged 25.3 and the best I saw on flat road no wind to speak of was around 27mpg. I am still very impressed that a 1/2 ton truck this size can get 25mpg and we were up and down some moderate size mountains coming through West Virginia. We left and mileage was around 350 miles on the truck and got back with appox 2800 miles.

Couple of quirks:
1. Seems like once in a while when backing up the backup sensor senses something behind the truck and the safety stop engaged.... sort of gets your attention... and there was actually nothing behind us.
2. Was changing lanes once and I believe I was actually braking and also had my foot on the accelerator a bit and Service Warning came on and hesitated for a couple of seconds to accelerate. This may just be a safety issue where if you are on the brake and also accelerator the safety warning pops up.
3. I have used about 5 gallons of DEF in the 2800 miles so far. I was told that 5 gallons of DEF would last for about 8000 miles... maybe its a break in thing ????

Final comments:
2. Backseat is VERY large and my friends rode in the back for a couple hundred miles and said is was very comfortable.... they are now going to look into buying a new Ram
4. Wasn't sure if I would like the split tail gate, but is has already proven that I will use that more then just the drop down function.
5. Headlights and fogs will certainly turn any dark road into very viewable road.

I used a lot of DEF the first 5,000 miles or so. I filled the tank up at 6000 miles, and now I have 7400 miles on the truck. In those miles I have used 1/8 of a tank of DEF so it seems to be using less as I get some miles on it.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Sounds like a ride I take. Boston to Greenville SC. Done it so often no Gps required.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There isn't any lag/dead petal at all on my 2020 gen-3, it's a pleasure to drive around town.
Wish the rest of us could say that. Mine has horrendous amounts of lag and throttle dead zone and also slow transmission downshifts. Also, check out Diesel Power's review from August 2019 when they got to test drive one. They even asked the engineers about it and were told that "it's that way because of how we're dealing with emissions." Sigh....

·
Registered
44 Posts

Couple of quirks:

Final comments:

I agree with everything in your post,
I have a thread started for bragging rights on fuel range

your quirks are the same as mine,

but I have a pass mirror that hangs up after backing up,

sunroof has trouble going from vent to close once in awhile,

fuel economy in cluster doesn’t match real world numbers, was dead on in my 2016

and yesterday I through a cel p203e lucky me, def gauge not working

And some reason I can’t disable the fog lights that turn on when turning

all little stuff my truck is the sh!t!
Enjoy the pics

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
For what it's worth on the Ramboxes...

I have a '14 EcoD so first year of the Gen2 ecodiesels. Mine is a Laramie Longhorn so all the bells and whistles - and of all the options (except the engine - which I love) the Ramboxes are my favorite feature. Bed space isn't really impacted since the bed is still wide enough for drywall and plywood and just as tall as a standard bed - but you gain weatherproof storage for tools, hitches, gloves, shop towels, extension cords for the block heater, etc. Can even fill them with ice and cool down your beer or put in gun or rod holders to take to the outdoors.

Me loves my Ramboxes ;-)

Bob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wish the rest of us could say that. Mine has horrendous amounts of lag and throttle dead zone and also slow transmission downshifts. Also, check out Diesel Power's review from August 2019 when they got to test drive one. They even asked the engineers about it and were told that "it's that way because of how we're dealing with emissions." Sigh....
I’ve put 15,000 miles on mine and I can’t really say I have any complaints about performance. With a diesel I didn’t expect a “snappy” throttle per say but it’s much faster than my 2014 ED and I can’t thing of any drivability complaints I’ve had to speak of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with everything in your post,
I have a thread started for bragging rights on fuel range

your quirks are the same as mine,

but I have a pass mirror that hangs up after backing up,

sunroof has trouble going from vent to close once in awhile,

fuel economy in cluster doesn’t match real world numbers, was dead on in my 2016

and yesterday I through a cel p203e lucky me, def gauge not working

And some reason I can’t disable the fog lights that turn on when turning

all little stuff my truck is the sh!t!
Enjoy the pics
just letting everyone know my CEL p203e

turned out to be a loose pin in the harness, all good no issues

21 - 33 of 33 Posts