RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new 2020 Limited 1500 ED. Sticker price is $71K and they have it listed for $57K. What do you guys think I should offer since the truck is already so heavily discounted?
I'm a NOOB here!
UncaBuddha

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Before making an offer, you need to understand if the $57,000 price does or does not include any rebates currently on offer. If it doesn't include rebates that seems like a good price. Remember rebates should be thought of as FCA reducing the price and actual markdown from the sticker price thought of as dealer reducing their markup. Not counting rebates, the dealer invoice price minus 2% is about as low as I have seen a dealer go. Ask them to show you the dealer invoice. In the past you could also see the dealer invoice on Edmunds.com. Try that too.

If you are trading in something make sure they don't get the reduction back by reducing what they give on your tradein. Everything I read nowadays says dealers are hungry for used cars so used prices are going up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before making an offer, you need to understand if the $57,000 price does or does not include any rebates currently on offer. If it doesn't include rebates that seems like a good price. Remember rebates should be thought of as FCA reducing the price and actual markdown from the sticker price thought of as dealer reducing their markup. Not counting rebates, the dealer invoice price minus 2% is about as low as I have seen a dealer go. Ask them to show you the dealer invoice. In the past you could also see the dealer invoice on Edmunds.com. Try that too.

If you are trading in something make sure they don't get the reduction back by reducing what they give on your tradein. Everything I read nowadays says dealers are hungry for used cars so used prices are going up.
When I talked to the salesman he started removing some of the rebates (like First Responders $500) and too the price up to $59k. In my mind, the negotiations should start at the internet advertised price since that is what they are willing to sell the truck for. I can understand the $500 rebate if you finance but I'll pay cash. Does anyone know how early you can pay off the loan without penalty?

My first offer was going to be $57K out the door.

Thanks,
UncaBuddha

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Nobody that is serious can comment on an out the door price. Every state has different sales tax and licensing and other fees. Instead of asking people on this site to do your homework why don't you ask the salesman to see the loan documents? Then you will know the answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I financed the minimum 7500 to get the 1000 cash on my 2019 Classic ED. I can and will pay the balance in 90 days. I will have to make one payment. 90 days is the payoff limit on that deal, it may be different on yours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@howie12 I hadn't thought of asking for the "loan documents". I don't really even know what that is but I'll ask and see what the dealer paid for the truck. What would YOU offer above (or below) the loan? Thanks

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

One thing to remember is when YOU make an offer they can accept it. Then YOU are socially obligated to back up your words. An ongoing discussion with the dealership can offer you more insights into their ability to lower the price. Just remember, they must make money to keep the "lights on".

·
Registered
817 Posts
One thing to remember is when YOU make an offer they can accept it. Then YOU are socially obligated to back up your words.
BS. Buying vehicles is almost a blood sport. If you can get better by making a verbal offer then walking away ... do it. I sign NOTHING until I have a deal, and until my signature is on paper I will walk, change terms .... whatever. I've learned to do that from the best teachers there are .... the dealerships.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not to mention the Sales Price may not include transportation (1600+), or you have to own a case piece of equipment or some other obscure "unicorn".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts