RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So far, my 2020 is running good, but I haven't put many miles on it. I only drive it about once every two weeks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good Evening. I’m being offered a Mopar Max Care Exteded warranty... 7 years/100,000 mile. Can someone please explain how these extended warranties work? I know right now I have 3y 36,000 bumper to bumper, and I believe 5y 100,000 Powertrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Good Evening. I’m being offered a Mopar Max Care Exteded warranty... 7 years/100,000 mile. Can someone please explain how these extended warranties work? I know right now I have 3y 36,000 bumper to bumper, and I believe 5y 100,000 Powertrain.
The Mopar Max Care Extended warranty takes your bumper to bumper from 3 year/36,000 to 7 year/100,000 miles. I got what is called a 'Wrap'. For a lesser price, I have a bumper to bumper that matches my 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The Max Care is the cat's meow, though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Mopar Max Care Extended warranty takes your bumper to bumper from 3 year/36,000 to 7 year/100,000 miles. I got what is called a 'Wrap'. For a lesser price, I have a bumper to bumper that matches my 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. The Max Care is the cat's meow, though.
So on the powertrain side, it just adds 2 years and no mileage?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You can pretty much get what you want. I got 8/100000

·
Registered
202 Posts
It all depends on price. If I planned to keep my EcoDiesel long term, I would definitely buy an extended warranty because there is a high likelihood it'll pay for itself. Heck, the repair I just had done two weeks ago would have paid for an extended warranty if it had happened at 100,100 miles. So as long as you can get the warranty for a couple thousand bucks, it's a great buy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does anyone know if the max care extends the Federal Emissions part of the warranty? I believe how it stands now it’s only 2 years 24,000 miles

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Does anyone know if the max care extends the Federal Emissions part of the warranty? I believe how it stands now it’s only 2 years 24,000 miles
Bumper to bumper covers everything except cretain wear items (tires, serpentine belt, filters, etc.).

Reactions: NewLove

·
Registered
121 Posts
You guys do know that most of these “issue” parts are covered only for 2y/24k... ?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The Whole EGR system pretty much.. and most of the emissions crap.
I gotcha. We really don't know what the issues will be on the 3rd gen engine, so I wouldn't be quick to compare it to the 2nd gen engine. With that said, I've had two issues with my 2015 Ram EcoDiesel.

Issue #1 - EGR Cooler (replaced under extended warranty)
Issue #2 - DEF injector (replaced under AEM warranty)

Outside of those two issues, I haven't had any other issues. I now have 88,000 miles on my 2015. I recently purchased the GDE EPA compliant tune, but I'm waiting for the EGR Cooler recall before I install it. So far, I haven't had any problems with my 2020 EcoDiesel, but I rarely drive it.

Reactions: NewLove

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You guys do know that most of these “issue” parts are covered only for 2y/24k... ?

The only time the 2y/24k comes into play is when you buy a truck without a factory warranty, otherwise the 3/36 covers it...unless your in CA then after the 3/36 some of the expensive, normally not covered parts go out to 80k including the SCR and DPF I think.

·
Administrator
8,850 Posts
This has been posted on the forum"

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. After not finding any definitive answered I emailed the EPA

I asked:
L
"Good Day Mr. Ball,

I’m reaching out to you for clarification on what components of new diesel emission components are covered under the 8yr/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty. The PDF I downloaded (420f0908.pdf) states Catalytic converters, ECU and OBD systems are covered. Newer diesel vehicle emission systems have many more components to the emissions system and I have not been able to get a clear answer from the manufacturer on what specific components are covered.

I am specifically concerned about the following components of the emissions system:
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
Diesel Exhaust Fluid system (DEF)

These components are critical to the emissions compliance, I have not been able to see them specifically listed as covered or exempt by either the manufacturer or EPA.

Thank you for your time."

The response was:
"Hello Mr. Jones,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the federally required emissions warranty. The Clean Air Act requires manufacturers of light duty vehicles to warranty all emissions related components for 2 years or 24,000 miles and the specified major emission control components for 8 years or 80,000 miles. The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) are considered by EPA to be catalytic converters and are cover by the 8 year or 80,000 mile emissions warranty. Other components in the diesel exhaust fluid system are only cover by the 2 year or 24,000 mile emissions warranty.

Many pick-up trucks sold with diesel engines are actually heady duty vehicles. Any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs or greater is a heavy duty vehicle. These vehicles are not subject to the 8 year or 80,000 mile emissions warranty. The heavy duty regulations require a 5 year or 50,000 mile warranty for this class of vehicle (light heavy duty).

I hope this information is helpful.

Joel Ball
Light-Duty Vehicle Group
Compliance Division
United States Environmental Protection Agency
(734) 214-4238
[email protected]"

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
This has been posted on the forum"

I was wondering the same thing yesterday. After not finding any definitive answered I emailed the EPA

I asked:
L
"Good Day Mr. Ball,

I’m reaching out to you for clarification on what components of new diesel emission components are covered under the 8yr/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty. The PDF I downloaded (420f0908.pdf) states Catalytic converters, ECU and OBD systems are covered. Newer diesel vehicle emission systems have many more components to the emissions system and I have not been able to get a clear answer from the manufacturer on what specific components are covered.

I am specifically concerned about the following components of the emissions system:
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
Diesel Exhaust Fluid system (DEF)

These components are critical to the emissions compliance, I have not been able to see them specifically listed as covered or exempt by either the manufacturer or EPA.

Thank you for your time."

The response was:
"Hello Mr. Jones,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the federally required emissions warranty. The Clean Air Act requires manufacturers of light duty vehicles to warranty all emissions related components for 2 years or 24,000 miles and the specified major emission control components for 8 years or 80,000 miles. The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU), and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF) are considered by EPA to be catalytic converters and are cover by the 8 year or 80,000 mile emissions warranty. Other components in the diesel exhaust fluid system are only cover by the 2 year or 24,000 mile emissions warranty.

Many pick-up trucks sold with diesel engines are actually heady duty vehicles. Any vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 8,500 lbs or greater is a heavy duty vehicle. These vehicles are not subject to the 8 year or 80,000 mile emissions warranty. The heavy duty regulations require a 5 year or 50,000 mile warranty for this class of vehicle (light heavy duty).

I hope this information is helpful.

Joel Ball
Light-Duty Vehicle Group
Compliance Division
United States Environmental Protection Agency
(734) 214-4238
[email protected]"
That's all well and good but does FCA know this?

61 - 80 of 86 Posts