RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum and my first post also.Just purchased a new 2020 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn on May 20th.I plan on doing my own oil changes and was wandering what brand of 5w-40 synthetic ya'll are using.I know the 2020 owners manual recommends Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40.I have searched online and the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 is hard to find instock.I had considered Mobil 1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel.Thank You in advance for your time and help!
Best Regards!
JDY

·
Registered
801 Posts
Any full synthetic that meets the API rating in your manual is what you want to use. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Amsoil, Rotella (Shell) all have it. Don't waste your time with Euro.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any full synthetic that meets the API rating in your manual is what you want to use. Mobil 1, Valvoline, Amsoil, Rotella (Shell) all have it. Don't waste your time with Euro.
Why ? Its all over , espescially in Canada

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is an entire thread dedicated to this topic. I would check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Everyone,
New to the forum and my first post also.Just purchased a new 2020 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn on May 20th.I plan on doing my own oil changes and was wandering what brand of 5w-40 synthetic ya'll are using.I know the 2020 owners manual recommends Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40.I have searched online and the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 is hard to find instock.I had considered Mobil 1 5w-40 Turbo Diesel.Thank You in advance for your time and help!
Best Regards!
JDY
I use Shell Rotella T6 in mine 5/40 ran rotella in my 5.9 also I was very happy with it

·
Registered
79 Posts
Amsoil Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 100% Synthetic
Can be bought on line

·
Registered
79 Posts
Amsoil has changed their oil for the 2020 eco diesel to diesel oil EFM 5W-40 Euro Synthetic. The Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 is not rated for all the exhaust filters and other exhaust crap.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Best Regards!
JDY
Wal-mart has it. Napa, autozone, Orielly, and advance didn't. So I had to deal with the wal-mart crowd to get the oil. Same oil my BMW M4 uses.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Amsoil has changed their oil for the 2020 eco diesel to diesel oil EFM 5W-40 Euro Synthetic. The Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 is not rated for all the exhaust filters and other exhaust crap.
Not sure I buy that because these exhaust emission systems have been in use since 2010. People get far to hung up on all these specs, this manufacture says you better have this spec or else but look on the bottle of oil and you see as many as seven different manufactures all with their own specs listed and all saying the same thing our spec is special and you better use our spec or else.

Now outside of an engineering design issue can anyone truly point to engine failures that are due to oil? The biggest issue you will have is over heating a group III oil or causing aeration of the oil because someone over filled the sump.

You can even on this forum find the posts that you better have that MOPAR spec on the bottle of oil or else. Look at any manufactures owners manual and they all say the same thing their brand of parts and oil are recommended.

The reason we have the Magnuson-Moss warranty act is because manufactures tried to play the you did not use our parts game so your warranty is void, they are trying to do the same thing with oils by making up specs that if an aftermarket oil company wants to sell their brand of oil they have to submit their oil to the OEM for testing and pay a fee to have their little spec listed on the bottle of oil. What they have done is copied the API where you have to submit your oil to the API for testing at a considerable cost to be allowed to use the API donut.

Now here is the funny part in the same owners manual where they try to push you to their oil they will say use an API certified oil if you do not use their OEM brand or can't get their OEM brand.

FCA dumped on Exxon/Mobil when they took control of Chrysler as Exxon/Mobil used to be the oil supplier for Chrysler, but Fiat used Shell so they dumped Exxon/Mobil and used Shell changed the spec numbers on their oils and all of the sudden Mobil oils were no longer acceptable for use in FCA vehicles over night. Exxon/Mobil instead of resubmitting and paying FCA all the fees to put the new spec numbers on their bottles just walked away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts