RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

2020 Ram (maintenance, modifications, and more)

12K views 71 replies 17 participants last post by  85glht 
#1 ·
I wanted to start a thread to document maintenance records, modifications, and additional information regarding our 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Hopefully you'll find the information to be helpful.

The truck was ordered on March 3, 2020. Due to the COVID outbreak, we didn't take delivery of the truck until the first of August. We also worked from home, so the truck didn't get driven much during the first 6 months we owned it.

The factory fill was the first maintenance item. I have attached the UOA below:

Attachments

#2 ·
One of the first modifications that we made was adding an in-bed auxiliary fuel tank. We ordered the truck with the optional 33-gallon tank. OE tank (33 gallons) + auxiliary tank (37 gallons) = 70 gallons. This tank uses an automatic fuel controller.

#4 ·
Storage on top of the fuel tank. Like that as long as you don’t spill like I do. Somehow I often drip or splash fuel all over the top of my bed tank. Use towels to clean off. Any spill would go over/under stored stuff there.

Drain the hose well before starting your fill. Having more fuel is near a MUST if you tow.

Reactions: biodiesel
#9 ·
Having more fuel is near a MUST if you tow.
We just took the truck/trailer through California, Nevada, and Utah. Without the auxiliary tank, I would have needed to carry 5 gallon jugs, which I've done in the past. The auxiliary tank ensures the fuel source is clean and helps minimize risk of introducing contaminates from 5 gallon jugs when transferring to the OE tank. The auxiliary tank also has an inline Wix fuel filter that helps keep the system clean.

#6 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a thread to document maintenance records, modifications, and additional information regarding our 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Hopefully you'll find the information to be helpful.

The truck was ordered on March 3, 2020. Due to the COVID outbreak, we didn't take delivery of the truck until the first of August. We also worked from home, so the truck didn't get driven much during the first 6 months we owned it.

The factory fill was the first maintenance item. I have attached the UOA below:
:unsure:

Interesting Biodiesel 2020 EcoD aka "The Tanker" Stats:

w/70 Gallon combined tanks

Fillup = 70 gallons x $3.00 per gal = $210.00
Range = 70 gallons x 28 mpg = 1,960 mile range
Drive Range = Houston, Texas to Saskatoon,Saskatchewan = 1,879 miles without refueling.

Nice setup ya got goin' there BioDiesel (y)

#7 ·
:unsure:

Interesting Biodiesel 2020 EcoD aka "The Tanker" Stats:

w/70 Gallon combined tanks

Fillup = 70 gallons x $3.20 per gal = $210.00
Range = 70 gallons x 28 mpg = 1,960 mile range
Drive Range = Houston, Texas to Saskatoon,Saskatchewan = 1,879 miles without refueling.

Nice setup ya got goin' there BioDiesel (y)
Hi: TexasJoe... Canadian family waiting for a flight home from south Texas in winter. Wife tells her husband to go findout why they're all bundled up. He comes back and says "They don't speak English". What did they say? "Saskatoon Saskatchewan"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

#15 ·
About the best looking aux fuel tank I have seen.
They are a very good company. I took a plant tour and saw first hand what goes into these tanks.

The range is impressive and the ability to buy a good amount of fuel when the price is right is appealing, I dont think I could give up the bed space though.
Bed space is an issue, so I understand why someone would be hesitant about giving it up.

You could get a smaller tank for your truck. As a matter of fact, I'm planning to get their 28 gallon tank for my 2015 EcoDiesel. It's only 12" inches wide.

#16 ·
Here's the second UOA, this time featuring the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40. It's a short interval, but this sample includes towing in ambient temperatures as high as 117*F as we drove through Arizona and California. I would estimate 95% towing on this sample.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
With the gen 4 we only got the 26 gallon tank. I added a 45 gallon transfer tank. I just went 1049 miles towing a 25’ floor plan Airstream from Laramie WY to Elk Grove CA. I used about 70 gallons. Paid 2.96 a gallon in Laramie and 4.09 a gallon for Propel in Cali. I usually fuel in NV before entering Cali. Paid 2.77 in Indiana before that. Gas buddy & transfer tank helps reduce my fuel costs.

At 10” in depth it doesn’t reduce too much of my bed floor space which is a necessity for me. I have to go tailgate down more (6.4 bed) and use a receiver extension if I have to tow with the tailgate down. But it works. Your tank setup looks great.(y)

Rectangle Output device Font Screenshot Electronic device

#18 ·
I like to document all kinds of stuff, including my highest coolant, transmission, and oil temperatures. These were the hottest temperatures I've seen with the 2020 Ram EcoDiesel. My max tow is normally 63 mph, but I wanted to see how hot I could get the oil/coolant/transmission temps. This is with the A/C on and towing the travel trailer up a long grade.

#19 · (Edited)
I changed the fuel filter coming off the auxiliary tank for the first time. To improve cleanliness and make the job a little easier, I purchased hose grip pliers and fuel line clamps for the next go-around.
Auxiliary Fuel Tank Filter

DateOdometer
Mileage
FilterInterval
06/28/20225,054 milesWix 332705,054 miles
07/09/202218,381 milesWix 3327013,327 miles

Reactions: Hammer and Fediej
#20 ·
I changed the air filter for the first time. I was happy to see that the 2020+ air filter housing uses screws instead of clamps like the 2014 - 2019 housing.

DateMileageFilterInterval
05/26/200,000 milesFactory FilterN/A
06/29/2218,177 milesMopar 68441763AA18,177 miles

Reactions: Captainmal
#22 ·
Looks like the same design and maybe size as the one in the Cummins. It is a good design for an air filter. Those clamps on my old Ecodiesel were a royal PIA to get into position and snap on. The 10mm screws take a bit more time but are both simple to deal with and secure.

Reads like you are very happy with your 2020,

#24 ·
Looks like the same design and maybe size as the one in the Cummins. It is a good design for an air filter. Those clamps on my old Ecodiesel were a royal PIA to get into position and snap on. The 10mm screws take a bit more time but are both simple to deal with and secure.
I agree 100%

Reads like you are very happy with your 2020,
So far, the 2020 has been a great truck and good towing machine.

#25 ·
2020 Ram EcoDiesel
Fuel Filter Log

DateOdometer
Mileage
FilterInterval
07/11/202218,381 milesMopar 68436631AA18,381 miles

#26 ·
2020 Ram EcoDiesel
Fuel Filter Log

DateOdometer
Mileage
FilterInterval
07/11/202218,381 milesMopar 68436631AA18,381 miles

I just changed mine yesterday at 17,600 miles. It really is quite simple and using the bag to catch the fuel that drains is money. I didn't use the bag the first time I changed the filter on my old truck and learned my lesson the hard way.

#28 ·
I try to keep at least two years of maintenance items in inventory. I just stocked up on the items that were running low. Rotella T6 is the only item that I can't find locally, so I'll keep looking, otherwise, I'm good for two years.

#29 ·
I ran the factory block heater cord to the front bumper and installed a 120V receptacle. I have one receptacle for the block heater and one for an onboard battery maintainer/desulfator.

#33 ·
Great information. Max oil temp for me in my 2020 Bighorn was 235 pulling about 4,500lbs over Grand Mesa (CO). Air temps ranged between 80 and 95.Was wondering if 235 was normal or not. Transmission temp never got over 202. Again, great info and thanks for posting. Nice to see the oil analysis too. I run the Pennzoil and change every 5,000 miles. My total mileage is 22,780.

#34 · (Edited)
I run the Pennzoil and change every 5,000 miles. My total mileage is 22,780.
I have to add about a 1/2 quart every 5,000 miles. Are you seeing about the same oil consumption?

Reactions: Bily90
#36 ·
I'm sitting at 18,395 miles on the odometer (5,588 miles on this interval). I just added a 1/2 quart. I'm planning to log 7,000 miles before changing the oil. I'll be sure to pull an oil sample when I do.

DateOdometer
Mileage
OilFilterInterval
0 milesFactory FillMoparN/A
06/19/214,133 milesPennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40Mopar4,133
07/19/217,684 milesPennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40Mopar3,551 miles
11/22/2112,807 milesPennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40Mopar5,123 miles

Reactions: KJManning
#37 ·
First time to change the cabin filter.

DateMileageFilterInterval
05/26/200,000 milesMopar 68406048AAN/A
08/06/2218,395 milesMopar 68406048AA18,395 miles

#40 ·
Added a locking fuel cap.

#41 ·
What does the cap lock on to? The filler neck doesn't seem to have much the cap can grab to make it secure...

Bob

#45 · (Edited)
I bought 13 jugs of Platinum Euro for $14.25 ($2.85 per quart). If you can believe this, Advance Auto had 67 additional jugs in the warehouse for the same price. According to the gurus, shelf life is approximately 5 years for synthetic, so I was maxed out. I purchased enough oil to get me through the next 4+ years.

#47 ·
I bought 13 jugs of Platinum Euro for $14.25 ($2.85 per quart). If you can believe this, Advance Auto had 67 additional jugs in the warehouse for the same price. According to the gurus, shelf life is approximately 5 years for synthetic, so I was maxed out. I purchased enough oil to get me through the next 4+ years.

That was a steal!

#49 ·
And speaking of oil change, I'll be installing a drain valve at the next interval.

Reactions: Roby
#50 ·
Today I installed an onboard charger/maintainer/desulfator.