RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have posted many times on different forums about the BW 44-44 and why it is almost useless in extremely low traction situations.
It will not lockup without rear wheel slippage and slipping tires do not cut it on steep slopes and low traction.
Also RAM disengages it in park and it also has almost no holdback in the front axle descending steep and slick surfaces.
Or when stopped on a steep grade.
There is an individual making a kit which improves much of it's deficiencies but not all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have posted many times on different forums about the BW 44-44 and why it is almost useless in extremely low traction situations.
It will not lockup without rear wheel slippage and slipping tires do not cut it on steep slopes and low traction.
Also RAM disengages it in park and it also has almost no holdback in the front axle descending steep and slick surfaces.
Or when stopped on a steep grade.
There is an individual making a kit which improves much of it's deficiencies but not all.
this is the guy I found from the other forums who makes the harness to makes the clutches lock up. He also has a YouTube channel showing it in action.

·
Registered
390 Posts
here's a 2019 Limited with 48-11 in action
Impressive how the traction control system was kicking in, not really impressed with the t case.
I don't believe that it will be much better in low traction situations,
we will have to wait and see how it does for people in the winter and on steep low traction areas.
Steep slopes and ice were wheel spin means that you are done and going to be going backwards with a loss of control.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
My original question seems a little naive at this point, and it didn’t even mention rear differentials.
So I’ll rephrase the question. If a guy was to go from a 2015 Outdoorsman with the BW 44-45 transfer case with a limited slip rear differential to a 2020, what setup should he choose (t-case and rear diff) to get similar performance?

·
Registered
390 Posts
48-11 t case (even sports have these) and either the e locker or limited slip. 392 gears are a killer setup with the 8 speed trans love that setup.
I thought that the 48-12 was the more conventional and the 48-11 had the auto function?

the BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD

Doesn't the original poster have an Outdoorsmen with the conventional case?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I thought that the 48-12 was the more conventional and the 48-11 had the auto function?

the BorgWarner 48-12 for part-time 4WD operation with Hi and Low ranges; and the BorgWarner 48-11 for on-demand 4WD

Doesn't the original poster have an Outdoorsmen with the conventional case?
The 48-11 kicks in so fast its crazy. Unless your climbing very hard it won't send you an overheat message. Way better than the 44-44

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
So I’ll rephrase the question. If a guy was to go from a 2015 Outdoorsman with the BW 44-45 transfer case with a limited slip rear differential to a 2020, what setup should he choose (t-case and rear diff) to get similar performance?
In the Gen5 trucks you would want the BorgWarner 48-12, it is a part time transfer case just like the 44-44. As for the rear differential, the LSD is probably the better choice for most average driving. If your planning on getting into the soupy stuff the locking rear dif.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My original question seems a little naive at this point, and it didn’t even mention rear differentials.
To the best of my knowledge the transfer case selection is trim specific. So certain trims only come with X transfer case. There is no t-case option in the builds that allow you to pick yourself.

You have a clutchless "part time" bw44-45 and a limited slip diff.

To my knowledge, after watching some videos of 2020 reviews on each model, the only trim offered with a clutchless part time t-case is the Rebel and Tradesman (which have the bw 48-12 (also clutchless part time).

The Rebel only comes with an electric locking rear diff since it's built for off road.

The Tradesman does have the option for open diff, limited slip, or electric locking. So it looks like a Tradesman with limited slip (anti-spin as Ram calls it) would be your only option to match your truck exactly.

Every other trim besides the Rebel and Tradesman appear to have the bw 48-11 on-demand t-case with an electronically controlled clutch system that regulates output to the front drive shaft in 4wd (per every video and dealer picture gallery and truck i've drove/seen, looking for the 4wd auto button to confirm that)

As mentioned above, it's believed that the 48-11 is an improvement over the 44-44 and locks up the output to the front driveshaft better.

And there's a lot of other things to consider besides the t-case and diff. I don't know what the Outdoorsman trim level consists of, but i'm guess its one of the more rugged, less bells and whistles trims.

Bumping up to the Rebel is a big price jump. Then you have a lifted truck unless you go air suspension, which is even more money.

Then do you care about having ventilated seats, other interior or exterior features, etc? Since you're dropping the coin on a new truck, you might want to build exactly how you want and the Tradesman trim may be limited on that. A lot more to consider than just t-case and diff.

But the Tradesman should match your current truck as far as t-case and diff, then you just need to be satisfied with the interior/exterior features/options.

here's a video of the 2020 tradesman to confirm it does not have the 4wd auto feature (@4:28 on the video)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like y'all are assuming that the 48-11 doesn't have something that the other t-cases do. The 48-11 has every function of the others, but it adds the AWD setting. I don't know why anybody would want any other t-case, given the choice. 48-11 six days a week and twice on Sunday.

As for rear differential, that's all personal preference but I FARRRRRR prefer the e-locker. The LSD sucks in snowy and icy conditions because physics takes over and the LSD tends to put side load on the rear of the truck spinning the tail out more easily rather than propelling the truck forward. For deep virgin snow, LSD might be fine. For typical winter roadway conditions, it sucks. It's dangerous. And, the clutches eventually wear out. And, it requires special additives for fluid changes. And, off road it doesn't provide as much traction as the e-locker. So, I just strongly prefer the e-locker. The onboard computers activate/deactivate the locker depending on safe speeds, so a guy can just lock it up and go in bad conditions with 100% traction. To me it's also a no-brainer.

Reactions: Boulder Mark

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like y'all are assuming that the 48-11 doesn't have something that the other t-cases do. The 48-11 has every function of the others, but it adds the AWD setting. I don't know why anybody would want any other t-case, given the choice. 48-11 six days a week and twice on Sunday.

As for rear differential, that's all personal preference but I FARRRRRR prefer the e-locker. The LSD sucks in snowy and icy conditions because physics takes over and the LSD tends to put side load on the rear of the truck spinning the tail out more easily rather than propelling the truck forward. For deep virgin snow, LSD might be fine. For typical winter roadway conditions, it sucks. It's dangerous. And, the clutches eventually wear out. And, it requires special additives for fluid changes. And, off road it doesn't provide as much traction as the e-locker. So, I just strongly prefer the e-locker. The onboard computers activate/deactivate the locker depending on safe speeds, so a guy can just lock it up and go in bad conditions with 100% traction. To me it's also a no-brainer.
It's that the 48-11 HAS something that the other doesn't... an electronically regulated clutch system that gives power to the front drive shaft.

The 48-12 is a gear driven system that provides power to the front driveshaft. Once it's engaged, the front drive shaft gets the same power the rear drive shaft does. No matter what.

The 48-11, however, uses electronic sensors and a locking mechanism to engage and disengage the clutch system. And it's just that, a clutch system, which still can slip (just like you complained about the LSD). The previous version (44-44) did a poor job of sensing rear wheel slip and engaging the front shaft clutches, and it would also leave it disengage even when in 4wd until it sensed real wheel slip (per the multi-meter results Brandon found on his truck).

So that's the trade off. If you care about having AWD like engagement of rear and front driveshafts, or if you'd rather just have the 48-12 where when you actually need 4wd, you just put it in 4wd and you know the front and rear driveshaft are both getting full power and not relying on a previously poor electronic management and clutch engagement system.

In my mind, the 48-12 is a no brainer. It's a truck, and when you need 4wd, you need to know it's actually going to work 100% and that both shafts will see the same power. But unfortunately being able to chose your t-case isn't an option... just choosing a trim model which has X t-case in it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
Another feature that the 48-12 has is the front drive shaft doesn't unlock when the truck is off. This can be helpful when parking on slick surfaces, even with an open diff in the front that's one more wheel that won't spin.
There was a similar conversation back in the day about the 44-44 vs 44-45, someone not in the know made the comment about it's four wheel drive not four wheel park.
What works for some doesn't work for other and there's always someone out there that knows a better trick to do something than you do.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think there is one factor that really spells out which one will work better long term and in moderate to heavy duty use,
the auto function is NOT avilible on any RAM2500 or 3500.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's that the 48-11 HAS something that the other doesn't... an electronically regulated clutch system that gives power to the front drive shaft.

The 48-12 is a gear driven system that provides power to the front driveshaft. Once it's engaged, the front drive shaft gets the same power the rear drive shaft does. No matter what.

The 48-11, however, uses electronic sensors and a locking mechanism to engage and disengage the clutch system. And it's just that, a clutch system, which still can slip (just like you complained about the LSD). The previous version (44-44) did a poor job of sensing rear wheel slip and engaging the front shaft clutches, and it would also leave it disengage even when in 4wd until it sensed real wheel slip (per the multi-meter results Brandon found on his truck).

So that's the trade off. If you care about having AWD like engagement of rear and front driveshafts, or if you'd rather just have the 48-12 where when you actually need 4wd, you just put it in 4wd and you know the front and rear driveshaft are both getting full power and not relying on a previously poor electronic management and clutch engagement system.

In my mind, the 48-12 is a no brainer. It's a truck, and when you need 4wd, you need to know it's actually going to work 100% and that both shafts will see the same power. But unfortunately being able to chose your t-case isn't an option... just choosing a trim model which has X t-case in it.
So you're saying that even in 4-Low, the 48-11 uses clutches to lock the two driveshafts in the 50/50 split?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts