RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Two good questions. Neither have a definitive answer as far as I know right now.

Do know if you get a long bed, like 8' long, an option is a 50 gallon fuel tank. All else is rumor. There are ideas but so far, nothing firm. The real answer may just be little to no change as the next scheduled refresh is not until something like 2023 or so. One rumor is a change in the Bosch CP4.2 injector pump. Yet, near NO failures on it showing up on the forums with just maybe a single exception from last Spring when they were introduced plus maybe two scam photos and stories. That is the same pump as on the Ecodiesel but not the same model as Cummins used on the 2018's and earlier models.

Availability is soon. Read where some have been ordered. Red where production started a few weeks ago. Thoughts are that by February some might be around. Do not see any ordering information or build information on the internet sites yet.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
One change I'd like to see is Ram reduces the up charge for the CTD over the hemi.

Ram charges much more for the CTD on 2500/3500 than 4400/5500.

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
There has been some hope thrown out that the current 6 speed would be changed to a ZF 8 speed. Again, no confirmation and a reason I wanted the 2019. I was afraid of waiting and having to get another ZF 8 speed.

I do not and never did like my ZF 8 speed transmission. It was faulty from delivery and then went crazy with overheating, causing me frequent towing trouble. It took 90,000 miles of frequent issues and changes, repairs and consultations to sort that mess out. The ZF has no dipstick and both checking and changing the fluid is beyond a joke of confusion and even danger to me. I wanted the current heavy duty 6 speed designed for the new Cummins hydraulic motor.

Now why? Well take all my reasons above for disliking the ZF and add in the simple reliability of the 68RFE that was beefed up for the increased power of the new motor. Throw in a dipstick and simple checking, filling and draining to the equation . Now add on my driving experiences where I can assure you, the Cummins engine could do well with a 3 speed. It pulls from below 1,000 rpm with ease. In fact, it is shocking how little you notice any transmission shifting. Then, if you look and feel to notice any shifting, there is literally a quick run through those gears to 6th and that's the end of the shifting. Even towing my lighter trailers and loads I literally have no need for 5th gear on the hills in Georgia I have put my new one through. I have yet to tow my toy hauler so don't have the final answer.

Take a test ride. This new engine is even way more sedate in operation than my old 5.9 Cummins. You will be running rpm's that would lug and maybe damage an Ecodiesel. That's normal operation for the new Cummins. I did not want the ZF 8 speed and so far, don't remotely want anything to do with one.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have to second what Captainmal says about the current 68RFE. Its much maligned but it works and actually works well. Purely anecdotal but I have a good friend, who runs a 2011 with the "older" 68. He has never serviced it in 270,000+ km. He regularly loads it very, very heavy when hauling cattle. Issues? None, what so ever.

Now a neighbour of ours has the older 4 speed version that backed the 5.9. They had it fail twice with lots of heavy towing.

Yes this is not 2020 related but I am so grateful for a transmission with a dipstick, super easy to do the maintenance.

8 gears would be nice, especially when loaded heavy. Ballpark, I think I wished I had a few more gears is when I was around and over the 20K pound mark.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hear they are going to put an 8 speed transmission in the 2020's? Any truth to that rumor?
I thought the 8 spd was a go for the 20s?

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Think it is Diesel Power magazine I was looking at this morning. We stop at a market after Church and I "peek" at some. One diesel magazine had a major section on 2020 diesel pickups. When they got to Ram the talk was on the 2020 1500 Ecodiesel first. Then they went to the HD, 2500 and 3500 pickups. It is as I said above.

"Few to no changes for 2020 " was the theme. They talked of adaptive cruise control, some safety issues and the optional 50 gallon fuel tank you can order if you get the 8' bed length. That was it.

Now I cannot say this magazine is the definitive answer. It just echoed what I have been getting glimpses of. Nothing.

As for that 8 speed ZF - as I wrote above in detail - I think it would be a mistake for an owner to have one but a marketing tool for the "unwashed" that think more gears is better. When I ran my last Cummins it had a 6 speed manual transmission. I used #'s 2, 4, and 6 at each start. Sometimes even towing I would skip the other gears. No need for them. A good three-speed is all you need when you have motor. This new Cummins is "motor".

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Very incremental changes for 2020. The HD market moves much slower than the consumer 1500 market.

I've heard the 50 gallon thing as well. Throw an extra 19 gallons in and your payload drops by 150 or so pounds. I suspect it will happen.

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
That is only for the 8' bed. That makes the truck a "creature". Mostly I bet it is optioned on the dual rear wheel 3500's. They are bought and made to pull major loads and often at long distances. Their load ability is huge so that is probably a non-issue.

Towing capacity is probably not affected by that 50 gallon, if anything actually is. Towing capacity is normally far more important than load capacity for those pulling trailers. Load 'em down, get a dump truck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2020 Ram 1500 Eco... yes, I know, this seems to be a HD thread, but with great joy, last Friday, 6 December 2019, I finally, received and took delivery of my 2020 Eco crew Laramie 4x2 that I ordered last October... 1. your rear end, it'll be a 392... that seems to be standard, I hymned and hawed about that idea, I had 355 rear end stuck in my head for fuel econ... turns out, this rear end is great... 2.) the tranny, it's been tweaked a whole bunch, nomenclature will be 8HP75, not 70... FCA states a possible 32 mpg, yep, I made the 60 mile drive back home with the cruise set at 65 mph, and she hit 33+...3) more horse and torque, yep. she's got it... 4) Oklahoma highway 69 is a truckers road, so, she's rough and will ruin your kidneys, but with this new fangled air suspension, I didn't have to order a new set of dentures... 5) the steering, oh man, she is so much better than my 2016... more responsive, turns tighter... head lights, they are blinding bright... motor db levels, even quieter than the 2nd gen 3 liter... (6) this evening, 11 Dec 2019, the odo shows 500 plus miles on her, 200 or those miles were applied on and in the hills of Eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas here on the Ozark Plateau, she assaults these steep hills like a Siberian Mountain goat... attacks the steep grades like she was on the flat prairies of Western Kansas and Oklahoma.... (7) my only complaint, in order to get the air suspension, and that new fangled splitter tail gate, you have to go to the crew cab with the shorty box.... my six foot rods and reels wont fit... oh, and as for the hump in the floor board, it's gone, no more hump, totally flat floor in the back...(8), throttle response, after the last AEM on Gen 2 motors and everyone was experiencing lagging throttle response, oh mercy, this new Gen 3 Motori, this puppy will throw you into the back seat if you put the pedal to the metal from a stop sign...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kernersville has 43 2020 2500s for sale on their site. My 2020 2500 gasser Laramie should be on a train headed my way as it was released for shipping last Friday. I ordered on 11/18. Maybe I’ll have it by Christmas.

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Start a new thread on the new 2020 Ram 2500.

This IS the place for HD postings. It will never be like the forums dedicated to the HD's but many here are former HD owners and ex-Ecodiesel owners. Sometimes the comparison information those owners have is a valuable resource for Ram diesel owners.

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Kernersville has 43 2020 2500s for sale on their site. My 2020 2500 gasser Laramie should be on a train headed my way as it was released for shipping last Friday. I ordered on 11/18. Maybe I’ll have it by Christmas.
See 23 they have on order. all are marked "In Transit". Since they have window stickers, Vin #'s and MSRP pricing, my take is they are dealer orders for stock.

Now when they might come in is unknown but my guess is early next year. Did not the end of the rumors. Vehicles look appointed and priced identical to my 2019. No changes of any significance I could detect. Did not do an exact window sticker pricing check but to me there was little significant difference from 2019.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts