RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
busy Central Florida road driving 50 mph truck just shut off and would not turn back on. drifted to the side of the road put car in park and tried to start it again. sounded healthy but would not turn over. also power windows would not roll down and could not put the truck into neutral. this truck is only 3 weeks old and im thinking i may need to just send it back to the dealer and break my deal. has anyone had this issue before?

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab Ecodiesel, Technology Group, Premium Lighting Group, Level 1 Saf
33 Posts
Water in fuel light on? Did you fuel up just before it occurred? Did you recently add DEF…to the wrong tank? (Neither of these should affect the windows)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It could be a really minor electrical issue or even that connector under the truck that's noted for not being "connected" well OR it could be a major deal like the Tone Wheel or worse yet the fuel system.

I have had this fear since 2015 of a fuel system issue that wasn't covered by warranty because of bad diesel or something so I've always got my fuel from the same station over the years and save the receipts. It's especially easy to do now with my 33gal tank and 2-4mpg better mileage with the '20. I think only a half dozen times I had to get fuel somewhere else and that was always because of towing to a specific camping location which required a top-off for the round trip...that's not an issue with the '20.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,358 Posts
this truck is only 3 weeks old and im thinking i may need to just send it back to the dealer and break my deal. has anyone had this issue before?
Similar has happened to other Ram truck (diesel and gasser alike), your experience is not commonplace nor has it "not happened before". The vast majority of these trucks go on for many trouble free miles.
More likely your thoughts of getting rid of the truck will be more with how the service department handles repairing the truck. Be forewarned there is some real crappy service departments that employ a bunch of part changers.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Check your ALL fuses making sure they are seated / pushed all the way down making a good connection..

There has been different electrical issue’s in the past associated with fuses not being fully seated....

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,419 Posts
Gremlins, ugh.

Yesterday I pulled into the grocery store. I hit the manual door lock on my way out instead of using the fob, heard all the locks click, and on in I went.

On my way out, I click the unlock on my keyless fob, nada, nothing, I clicked all the buttons, nothing. WTF????? This is a new 2021 HD CTD with 6600 miles on it too!

I had to remove the manual key from the fob to get in. Fearing the most, I hit the start button, and my 2021 CTD fires right up like nothing happened, and believe me, much to my relief. And all the door locks worked from the Fob just fine, and have since. I have not a clue what that was about.

I barely recall reading something about using the manual door locks. In fact, like the above parking release (I had no idea), I'm finding several little things in the manual to learn about in these modern day computer infested vehicles, which leads me to this suggestion.

Have you tried to disconnect the battery(s), and leave it sit for a few minutes, and then hook it back up? Just about anything computerized can be fixed simply by turning off and on.

REMEMBER, to unhook the ground (negative) post first for safety.

Sorry for your troubles shawnu, this is a very nice group of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum, far and above some other forums that can be down right nasty.

And welcome to the group, I hope you resolve your issues soon, and let us know please.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,358 Posts
I had to remove the manual key from the fob to get in. Fearing the most, I hit the start button, and my 2021 CTD fires right up like nothing happened, and believe me, much to my relief. And all the door locks worked from the Fob just fine, and have since. I have not a clue what that was about.
With the push button start if the key fob battery dies or the fob malfunctions, push the start button in with the key fob. There's an RFID chip in the fob and the start button can read that to allow the truck to start.

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
Shawnu...

Been two days. What did you find out from a dealer?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Check your ALL fuses making sure they are seated / pushed all the way down making a good connection..

There has been different electrical issue’s in the past associated with fuses not being fully seated....
Yep it's a rampant issue on the Jeep pickups but I've seen it on the Rams too. For some reason they don't seat the fuses all the way at the factory.

I'd unhook the battery, reseat all the fuses and relays, wait 10 minutes, then hook the battery back up and give it a whirl. If it still acted dead, then I'd proceed to let a reputable dealer take a look.

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
Notice how Shawnu has never been back.

Made me wonder right from the start.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab Ecodiesel, Technology Group, Premium Lighting Group, Level 1 Saf
33 Posts
Notice how Shawnu has never been back.

Made me wonder right from the start.
Or put gasoline in the tank and is too embarrassed to admit it! 😉

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update. After two weeks finally got some information from this joke of a dealer. What om being told is that the fuel pump shook itself so hard it shook itself apart and metal shavings went all into the system. It could be up to 60 days to get the part needed. Now I'm no mechanic here but won't those metal pieces hurt the engine life?

·
Administrator
9,781 Posts
Update. After two weeks finally got some information from this joke of a dealer. What om being told is that the fuel pump shook itself so hard it shook itself apart and metal shavings went all into the system. It could be up to 60 days to get the part needed. Now I'm no mechanic here but won't those metal pieces hurt the engine life?
That would be the high pressure fuel pump and sometimes they do implode. Pretty much the entire fuel system will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That would be the high pressure fuel pump and sometimes they do implode. Pretty much the entire fuel system will need to be replaced.
Yes but how does this not also hurt the engine? This truck has 2345 miles on it brand new

1 - 20 of 27 Posts