RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,344 Posts
What om being told is that the fuel pump shook itself so hard it shook itself apart and metal shavings went all into the system. It could be up to 60 days to get the part needed. Now I'm no mechanic here but won't those metal pieces hurt the engine life?
Unless those pieces were small enough to make it out the business end of the fuel injector, then no. Provided the repairs are done correctly there won't be any long term damage to the engine from the fuel system imploding.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Yes but how does this not also hurt the engine? This truck has 2345 miles on it brand new
The fuel system is external aka it is lubed with fuel not oil. Some high pressure fuel pumps are lubed with oil and when they fail it damages the engine but not these. Cp4 failure are common and it happens when the rollers turn usually from air pcokets or fuel contamination. Either way just be glad there fixing it lots of dealers would say no warranty and hit you with a 6-10k bill.

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
The pieces of your Bosch CP4.2 injector pump go into the fuel lines and into the injectors. Few to none pass the injectors into each cylinder. Even if some did they are just getting vaporized in the cylinder and ejected through the exhaust. No big deal.

Some aluminum pieces will be returned to the fuel tank through the return line. You could have the tank drained and cleaned but any getting in would be caught by the rear fuel filter. After they change the pump, fuel lines ( or purge then) and replace the injectors, I would soon change the rear fuel filter after a bit of running. Would do that even if they drained and purged the tank.

Nothing should get into the oil or the bottom end of the engine.

There is a CP3 fuel pump that might work but I have o boy heard of them being fitted Ed to the Cummins engine, never the Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab Ecodiesel, Technology Group, Premium Lighting Group, Level 1 Saf
32 Posts
The fuel system is external aka it is lubed with fuel not oil. Some high pressure fuel pumps are lubed with oil and when they fail it damages the engine but not these. Cp4 failure are common and it happens when the rollers turn usually from air pcokets or fuel contamination. Either way just be glad there fixing it lots of dealers would say no warranty and hit you with a 6-10k bill.
That 6-10k bill is the #1 reason I paid Zieglers (Chryslerfactoryplans.com) for a genuine FCA extended warranty. 8 years/125,000 miles with a $200 deductible cost me $2,605 but worth every penny for a serious failure over the next 8 years of 125,000 miles.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,413 Posts
That 6-10k bill is the #1 reason I paid Zieglers (Chryslerfactoryplans.com) for a genuine FCA extended warranty. 8 years/125,000 miles with a $200 deductible cost me $2,605 but worth every penny for a serious failure over the next 8 years of 125,000 miles.
If you buy one of those from the dealer, bend over! What a rip off.

By brother bought a new Ram 1500 last month. And he bought some shitty 7 year 75,000 mile warranty for $3500!

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO BUY ONE FROM THEM!" I says, right after I told him I just bought a Mopar Max Care 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty, from Zeigler, for only $1930 for my 2021 2500 Cummins. Man did he get ripped off. SMH.....

I like the road side assistance, because we go way out there sometimes.

I also like the fact, I can turn in unused warranties. I bought one for my Ecodiesel, when I sold the truck last May, I got back $1250 after the $75 fee, and a key fob (and I about paid $300 for one) out of $2150 I paid for the warranty for the 3 years I owned it. I told the guy why I came back, he knocked $365 off my new plan! It did not take long to get my remittance back either, they were right quick about it.

Dealers use scare tactics to get you to buy overprice warranties. Don't fall for it, you know you got 3 years/36,000 bumper to bumper as it is at the least, and the 5 year/100k mile drive train warranty to boot, you have lots of time to buy a warranty, IF you want.

I imagined after that amount of time I'll be ready for the next thing, maybe. In 7 years? Maybe I'll have an electric truck! Lol, that would be something, I can see the RV plastered with solar panels to recharge the truck.

Modern problems.....

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Crew Cab Ecodiesel, Technology Group, Premium Lighting Group, Level 1 Saf
32 Posts
If you buy one of those from the dealer, bend over! What a rip off.

By brother bought a new Ram 1500 last month. And he bought some shitty 7 year 75,000 mile warranty for $3500!

"I TOLD YOU NOT TO BUY ONE FROM THEM!" I says, right after I told him I just bought a Mopar Max Care 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty, from Zeigler, for only $1930 for my 2021 2500 Cummins. Man did he get ripped off. SMH.....

I like the road side assistance, because we go way out there sometimes.

I also like the fact, I can turn in unused warranties. I bought one for my Ecodiesel, when I sold the truck last May, I got back $1250 after the $75 fee, and a key fob (and I about paid $300 for one) out of $2150 I paid for the warranty for the 3 years I owned it. I told the guy why I came back, he knocked $365 off my new plan! It did not take long to get my remittance back either, they were right quick about it.

Dealers use scare tactics to get you to buy overprice warranties. Don't fall for it, you know you got 3 years/36,000 bumper to bumper as it is at the least, and the 5 year/100k mile drive train warranty to boot, you have lots of time to buy a warranty, IF you want.

I imagined after that amount of time I'll be ready for the next thing, maybe. In 7 years? Maybe I'll have an electric truck! Lol, that would be something, I can see the RV plastered with solar panels to recharge the truck.

Modern problems.....
Amen! I’ve purchased from Ziegler for years and always use their price as the benchmark with my dealer when purchasing a new truck. They have never been able to meet or beat Zieglers price thus I keep buying my extended warranties from Ziegler.

Reactions: sourdo
21 - 27 of 27 Posts