RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did my 10th refueling. I always input my fill ups into fully.com. I hand calculate and compare the results to the evic.
I’m still hunting for the “sweet spot mph”, but I’m pleased so far.
This truck certainly drinks more def than my 2015. 4000 miles so far.
This last tank I was using my homemade winter radiator cover a lot. I did more highway driving this week.
My truck is a 2021 longhorn ecodiesel , 3.21 rear end with a Rambox (with a hard bed cover) no air suspension.
I drive speed limit in right lanes, and try not to slow anyone down. (‘I find people pull in behind me on open highway and convoy because I keep a constant speed.
My driving is a 50 mile/day trip int Boston every day.

How is everyone else doing? Are you getting the mpg you wish? What is your driving style? And what are you driving?
According to fuelly, the gas engines are getting around 17mpg Average. 50% better? Time will tell as more stats come in.

·
Registered
347 Posts
30 MPG on the flats in Phoenix 1086’ altitude
Laramie Longhorn
Fully loaded
Ramboxes
Air on all 4 corners
3.92 gearing
Sunroof etc
These options all add up and it’s on the heavier side compared to one with 3.21 HFE model
Around 20 MPG where I live in Sedona at 4350’ altitude and hills are everywhere in this town

·
Registered
334 Posts
Coming up on 11,000 miles, average is about 20 MPG, maybe 21. I use Fuelly also because it takes the guesswork out of the equation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't use Fuelly. Maybe I should, but that's another issue. So I looked it up and I was shocked at the results. Is your 27 mpg the "average" or hwy?
It looks like the newer Diesel is getting only slightly better average mileage than the older Gen2 Diesel.
It shows the 2020 and 2021 with 57 reporting trucks are averaging 22.3 mpg. Year 2016 with 372 trucks reporting is averaging 22.1 and many other Gen2s are around 22 mpg. I didn't bother calculating all the Gen2 years, but it looks like about 0.5 better mpg on the Gen3. I was expecting something much better, maybe 2 mpg better on the Gen3. Also, I don't see a way to display the rear end ratio (3.21 vs 3.92) which I think would be way more important than showing body style.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I don't use Fuelly. Maybe I should, but that's another issue. So I looked it up and I was shocked at the results. Is your 27 mpg the "average" or hwy?
It looks like the newer Diesel is getting only slightly better average mileage than the older Gen2 Diesel.
It shows the 2020 and 2021 with 57 reporting trucks are averaging 22.3 mpg. My 2016 with 372 trucks is averaging 22.1 and many other Gen2s are around 22 mpg. I didn't bother calculating all the Gen2 years, but it looks like about 0.5 better mpg on the Gen3. I was expecting something much better, maybe 2 mpg better on the Gen3. Also, I don't see a way to display the rear end ratio (3.21 vs 3.92) which I think would be way more important than showing body style.
Yep, it had been around 20 but now it's eased it's way up to about 22 MPG average. And that's a T O N of combined miles being logged in the real world. Which is why I have such a hard time believing that these 30 MPG figures are normal.

Reactions: Cmitch

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It shows the 2020 and 2021 with 57 reporting trucks are averaging 22.3 mpg. My 2016 with 372 trucks is averaging 22.1 and many other Gen2s are around 22 mpg. I didn't bother calculating all the Gen2 years, but it looks like about 0.5 better mpg on the Gen3. I was expecting something much better, maybe 2 mpg better on the Gen3. Also, I don't see a way to display the rear end ratio (3.21 vs 3.92) which I think would be way more important than showing body style.
27 mpg is my average , not best. I only have 10 fill ups so far, so that will change. My 2015 ecodiesel is in fuellyat abou 25mpg.
a lot depends on location and driving habits.
I agree, it would be nice to have the rear end listed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it had been around 20 but now it's eased it's way up to about 22 MPG average. And that's a T O N of combined miles being logged in the real world. Which is why I have such a hard time believing that these 30 MPG figures are normal.
I agree. I have data from my 2015 bighorn. a lot of us pull trailers and work with our trucks. That drops the average mpg.
my two trucks got great mileage under 45 mph.
I don’t think 22 mpg is bad at all in real world comparisons. I won’t ever go back to a vehicle in the teens.

·
Vendor
1,337 Posts
Is everyone hand calculating the fuel economy and comparing it to the EVIC? we found a 10% bias correction to the displayed fuel economy in the software and even with this removed our 2020 Ram is still reading optimistic from reality. It seems their stock injector map flow data is not quite accurate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is everyone hand calculating the fuel economy and comparing it to the EVIC? we found a 10% bias correction to the displayed fuel economy in the software and even with this removed our 2020 Ram is still reading optimistic from reality. It seems their stock injector map flow data is not quite accurate.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hand calculate and also record evic reading on fuelly. I did this for my 2015 “big blue” and for my 2021 “ foghorn”. The old evic under reported mpg and the new one slightly over reports mpg. Check out my fuelly pages.
im also interested in checking a measured mile on my dashboard.

I hope GDE has a tune for my 2021 soon! There are some bad hesitations during a regen from a dead stop. It also uses DEF faster.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hand calculate and also record evic reading on fuelly. I did this for my 2015 “big blue” and for my 2021 “ foghorn”. The old evic under reported mpg and the new one slightly over reports mpg. Check out my fuelly pages.

I hope GDE has a tune for my 2021 soon! There are some bad hesitations during a regen from a dead stop. It also uses DEF faster.
I just did a quick look at fuelly to compare years and engines. Gas engines seemed to average(multiple vehicle and years)15.5 mpg .ecodiesels(multiple years) seemed to average 22.1mpg. That is about 40percent better mpg
these are real world averages,that includ towing, working, weather, location, etc . , across thousands of vehicles.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
134 Posts
Do you mean "correction" or "fudge factor"? I have wished that there was a way to enter an actual correction factor into firmware.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
134 Posts
Do you mean checking odometer calibration? I think that is required by law to be pretty accurate as long as you keep stock tire size. I have checked some vehicles and found up to 1% error over nearly 100mile against the paddle signs. I think an error in fuel measurement is more likely source of error in EVIC MPG calculation--that and fudge factors.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
45 Posts
I have taken a picture of my fuel receipt next to my trip odometer for every fill up since I have owned my truck. Consistent 29mpg with winter fuel it’s 28-27mpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah I've had mine for coming up on a year, and nearly 11,000 miles, and EVERY tank of fuel has shown the dash display to be optimistic by quite a bit. Hand calculating always gives lower and more realistic results.

It was not this way on any of my prior gas trucks from FCA. They all had dash displays that were within 0.2 MPG each time I filled up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have taken a picture of my fuel receipt next to my trip odometer for every fill up since I have owned my truck. Consistent 29mpg with winter fuel it’s 28-27mpg
That’s great mileage,Especially with 3.92 gears. I’m curious about your driving speeds ,location (cold or warm), etc.
i wonder how much is you or you truck combination,that gets great results.
I have friends that wonder why they get poor mileage, when every start is like a moon launch.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
45 Posts
By the way I hand calculate every time. The dash is usually around 1 mpg higher then actual. My driving style is 62mile highway commute to work. Average speed 67-74mph. I live in MO so it’s in the 30s this time of year. Winter fuel has decreased mileage. 29s consistently in spring fall summer all the time

·
Registered
2021 RAM Rebel Eco Diesel
1 Posts
I bought mine 3 days ago, and driving to Costco on a flat surface it was over 30 miles at 70 MPH.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I use my truck for combined mileage and for towing so my average is lower than it would be if I was only doing highway mileage. Having said that, when I embark on a trip that is going to be mostly favorable conditions for high mileage and not towing, usually I reset my trip and will get between 27-28 winter fuel mpg. I do use Fuelly and my '15 had every fuel up recorded and hand calculated (which is what Fuelly does) and so far I've captured every fuel up on my 2020 as well.

Unlike my '15 which was a very accurate EVIC mpg, the '20 is off by a couple mpg high so far.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts