RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I use my truck for combined mileage and for towing so my average is lower than it would be if I was only doing highway mileage. Having said that, when I embark on a trip that is going to be mostly favorable conditions for high mileage and not towing, usually I reset my trip and will get between 27-28 winter fuel mpg. I do use Fuelly and my '15 had every fuel up recorded and hand calculated (which is what Fuelly does) and so far I've captured every fuel up on my 2020 as well.

Unlike my '15 which was a very accurate EVIC mpg, the '20 is off by a couple mpg high so far.
I think fuelly is a great real word asset.( though I think there are two 2021 trucks that say they are ecodiesels that are most likely gas , because they are in the mid teens) .
a recent conversation with a friend had him saying he could get 22 in his Chevy on the highway. So my 27mpg was not very impressive. I told him my real world average was 25 in my 2015 bighorn,not my high. He finally came clean with his average , 14,mpg.
someone here mentioned setting up a second fuelly account for when we are trailering.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think fuelly is a great real word asset.( though I think there are two 2021 trucks that say they are ecodiesels that are most likely gas , because they are in the mid teens) .
If you're towing you are going to be in the low to mid teens

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
If you're towing you are going to be in the low to mid teens
Mid teens with my 22ft 5500lb camper at highway speeds was my experience too. Funny thing was, we got much better mileage going up and down hilly roads at 45 mph when pulling it, and we got to enjoy the back road towns that you would never see.
I checked out some members on fuelly, it’s awesome to see stuff in the comment field. It helps determine real world expectations. I suspect that the 2 fuellytucks I mentioned are mistakes. I cant imagine all the tanks were on brand new trucks were while towing. if not, there’s something bad going on for them.
i go to Bradford NH often, the hills and dirt roads drop my mileage . This week my work commute will have been all highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Mid teens with my 22ft 5500lb camper at highway speeds was my experience too. Funny thing was, we got much better mileage going up and down hilly roads at 45 mph when pulling it, and we got to enjoy the back road towns that you would never see.
I checked out some members on fuelly, it’s awesome to see stuff in the comment field. It helps determine real world expectations. I suspect that the 2 fuellytucks I mentioned are mistakes. I cant imagine all the tanks were on brand new trucks were while towing. if not, there’s something bad going on for them.
i go to Bradford NH often, the hills and dirt roads drop my mileage . This week my work commute will have been all highway speeds.
I get around 13-14mpg towing a 7000+ camper and a lot of payload around New England, which is the same as my pre-AEM '15 got.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I get around 13-14mpg towing a 7000+ camper and a lot of payload around New England, which is the same as my pre-AEM '15 got.
My truck is just 2 months old. With 3.21 gears. I haven’t towed yet with it. I was happy with the 3.55s. 13-14 mpg towing . By the way, I just drove up to my property in Bradford no. 10am and I hit a deer on 3A in hoockset!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
My truck is just 2 months old. With 3.21 gears. I haven’t towed yet with it. I was happy with the 3.55s. 13-14 mpg towing . By the way, I just drove up to my property in Bradford no. 10am and I hit a deer on 3A in hoockset!
Well that sucks, how bad?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well that sucks, how bad?
No damage to truck. I think the deer is ok too! She exhaled snot all down the side of the truck.
luckily it was a30 mph zone approaching a stop light. Saw her on side of the road and stomped on the brakes. She rolled under the bumper, blew snot on my truck. Then she stood up .I thought I might have to put her down at first. She then stood there in the middle of the street looking at me and blocking traffic. Then she ran off!
Big deer. She’s put on 10 pounds every time I’ve told the story today.
a few days ago I started a discussion here about getting hit 3 times by the same deer.
by the way my evic is reading 29.6 mpg for 396 mile trip this week. It will be interesting to see the hand calculation when I fill up tomorrow

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just did my 10th refueling. I always input my fill ups into fully.com. I hand calculate and compare the results to the evic.
I’m still hunting for the “sweet spot mph”, but I’m pleased so far.
This truck certainly drinks more def than my 2015. 4000 miles so far.
This last tank I was using my homemade winter radiator cover a lot. I did more highway driving this week.
My truck is a 2021 longhorn ecodiesel , 3.21 rear end with a Rambox (with a hard bed cover) no air suspension.
I drive speed limit in right lanes, and try not to slow anyone down. (‘I find people pull in behind me on open highway and convoy because I keep a constant speed.
My driving is a 50 mile/day trip int Boston every day.

How is everyone else doing? Are you getting the mpg you wish? What is your driving style? And what are you driving?
According to fuelly, the gas engines are getting around 17mpg Average. 50% better? Time will tell as more stats come in.
I’ve got a 2020 with 3.21s, average 28 most of the time. Low 30s on long highway trips. I’ve got a 2014 too and yes the 2020s and up use way keel DEF. I fill my 2014 up every 14,000 miles, my 2020 every 5,000 miles

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’ve got a 2020 with 3.21s, average 28 most of the time. Low 30s on long highway trips. I’ve got a 2014 too and yes the 2020s and up use way keel DEF. I fill my 2014 up every 14,000 miles, my 2020 every 5,000 miles
I’m glad to see the def usage is normal. I can tell when it is active. My mpg drops for no reason and it smells like paraffin (at least or does to me
. I also notice a slight stall when I’m quickly staring up from a stop . A bit dangerous . I hope gde has a tune soon.
last tank calculates to over 27.mpg

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I’m glad to see the def usage is normal. I can tell when it is active. My mpg drops for no reason and it smells like paraffin (at least or does to me
. I also notice a slight stall when I’m quickly staring up from a stop . A bit dangerous . I hope gde has a tune soon.
Def is active almost all the time when ever the scr temps are near or over 480 F. Def is not used for regen. Def actually allows less egr usage and longer regen intervals.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Def is active almost all the time when ever the scr temps are near or over 480 F. Def is not used for regen. Def actually allows less egr usage and longer regen intervals.
I did not know about all that. The 480 F. Just made me realize that the smell must be the rust inhibitor oil I had done when the truck was a few days old. (duh on me, lol)
Thanks for the info. It seems the more I learn , the less I know! LoL

·
Registered
76 Posts
You’re probably referring to the smell of a regeneration. As far as I know DEF is used in intervals all the time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The stall from a dead stop is built in to the computer. Drives me insane. It’s actually holding the brakes like you were starting from a stop up a hill. Mine seems to do it even if I’m on level ground.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The stall from a dead stop is built in to the computer. Drives me insane. It’s actually holding the brakes like you were starting from a stop up a hill. Mine seems to do it even if I’m on level ground.
You are spot on ! It does seem like the brakes are on and the suddenly release. Is it really the computer holding the brakes or is it a engine stumble? Wicked dangerous! ( I’m from New England, you have to use “wicked” in every text.)
By the way last weeks mpg hand calculated 28.16 while the evic reported 28.7. Mostly highway. But some of the hills kill mpg, as well as climbing out of 5 levels of parking garage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You are spot on ! It does seem like the brakes are on and the suddenly release. Is it really the computer holding the brakes or is it a engine stumble? Wicked dangerous! ( I’m from New England, you have to use “wicked” in every text.)
By the way last weeks mpg hand calculated 28.16 while the evic reported 28.7. Mostly highway. But some of the hills kill mpg, as well as climbing out of 5 levels of parking garage.
Yep definitely the computer. You’ll notice it only does it when you were at a complete stop. I just got back from a trip from Chattanooga Tennessee to Johnson City Tennessee through the mountains to Weaverville North Carolina, back over the mountains and to Chattanooga. Trip meter shows 605 miles. GPS shows 637 miles. (when I put new tires on it I went up a size so it’s off a tad) . EVIC showed 29.9mpg. And calculated it came out to 30.3mpg. Should’ve done better but the mountains of East Tennessee/western North Carolina definitely take a toll on efficiency. Ended up putting exactly 21 gallons back in it. As far as the braking hold goes, I have no idea if you can eliminate that. I still have my 2014 and it does not do that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
With 3.21 gears, are you two wheel drive ?
My truck is 4x4 with limited slip rear end. When I ordered the truck , I was surprised that my order went through requesting a 3.55. On delivery it was a 3.21.
ill see ho much of a problem that will be when I do my first tow. Trailer is 20feet. And 3500lbs empty. It’s about 5000 max.
I notice this truck definitely does not warm up like the old 2015 ecodiesel. Ive been using my homemade winter front a lot. My 27 mile ride to work just gets up to operating temps. I think it has to do with the transmission temps. Once the trans gets up to temp is when my mpg starts to get really l good.
So far I’m please with the 27 plus mpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
My truck is 4x4 with limited slip rear end. When I ordered the truck , I was surprised that my order went through requesting a 3.55. On delivery it was a 3.21.
ill see ho much of a problem that will be when I do my first tow. Trailer is 20feet. And 3500lbs empty. It’s about 5000 max.
I notice this truck definitely does not warm up like the old 2015 ecodiesel. Ive been using my homemade winter front a lot. My 27 mile ride to work just gets up to operating temps. I think it has to do with the transmission temps. Once the trans gets up to temp is when my mpg starts to get really l good.
So far I’m please with the 27 plus mpg
Guys, according to Ram, the 3.55 is only available with the 3.6 gas V6 or in the Ram TRX. Would love to see them in the ecodiesel tho. 3.92 seems a bit low and 3.21 seems a bit high to me.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Guys, according to Ram, the 3.55 is only available with the 3.6 gas V6 or in the Ram TRX. Would love to see them in the ecodiesel tho. 3.92 seems a bit low and 3.21 seems a bit high to me.
My older ecod is 3.55's and 4x4. It's a 2016 and I ordered it that way .... what i didn't do was verify that's what is in the truck. That is what's spec'd on the build sheet.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts