RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
134 Posts
My older ecod is 3.55's and 4x4. It's a 2016 and I ordered it that way .... what i didn't do was verify that's what is in the truck. That is what's spec'd on the build sheet.
My Classic supposedly has 3.55s (window sticker) and 1500RPM in 8th is 58MPH. Perhaps someone has calculated from the tire size and ratios to confirm that's what it should be.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I just fill up with fuel. This is the first time the EVIC has read .6 mpg under the actual hand calculations.
im at 6700 miles. I changed my oil to Amsoil. I feel that the engine is breaking in.
27.4 average mpg (hand calculated) . I’m pleased ,considering that the weather has been awful.
I wonder what mpg will be in the summer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New 2021 limited, 1 week avg is 24 alot of city driving. On the few 40-50 mile runs was showing 30-31. Have had hemi's before this so this is awesome mileage. The evic is going to be off buthave not put on enough miles to fill up yet. have 3.92's and changed the stock 275/55/20's for 275/6020's. That will affect it some also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You will find the mpg gets better as the engine breaks in. Your right foot will also be better at getting good mpg vs the cruise control.
im not familiar with the 275/6020’s.
I like to look at Fuelly .com, and compare my actual mileage to other 2021’s, Ford , Chevy , and rams. They let you filter by engine.
of course the pay back for a diesel is long, I am seeing a 40 percent improvement in mpg over other trucks withe gas engines according to fuelly. It will be interesting when fuel prices climb into the 3$ to 4$ range. (I hope it doesn’t happen) .
I bought the diesel, because I was tired of having to get fuel every 5 days. NowI can go every 10 days or more, per my schedule. ( of course I could just have gotten a hemi with a huge tank,). I felt like a gas station was tail gating me.

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel crew cab 4x4
93 Posts
Columboc, I live near the Sunapee region and just bought a 2021 Ecodiesel. So far mpg is impressive if the evic is fairly close. Especially with winter fuel and 300 miles on the truck.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Over a half-million combined miles logged now, and the average is still holding at 22 MPG when I filter all trucks by EcoDiesel engines only. So I guess for every one of you guys who are seeing 30 MPG, there's another guy seeing 14 MPG. Bottom line is that these trucks are coming up shy of the EPA rating by a good margin, which is the problem Ford has with the EcoBoost engines as well. Ford has been sued over it.

My personal truck has a 1 year average of 19.4 MPG now. Granted, my city driving has increased slightly due to COVID and working from home. So if I were still driving to the office daily I'd likely be in the 21 MPG range myself.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You must have loads of free time to waste if you had time to add up all that data. My city/highway driving is roughly 50/50, with 13,500 miles on the odometer since last July. I'm not a speeder, setting the cruise on the highway (relatively flat ground mostly) at 73mph. My readout says 22.2 avg, hand calculated says almost spot on 22mpg, all with a 3.92 rear end.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Over a half-million combined miles logged now, and the average is still holding at 22 MPG when I filter all trucks by EcoDiesel engines only. So I guess for every one of you guys who are seeing 30 MPG, there's another guy seeing 14 MPG. Bottom line is that these trucks are coming up shy of the EPA rating by a good margin, which is the problem Ford has with the EcoBoost engines as well. Ford has been sued over it.

View attachment 89019
Those values are for mixed driving, which compares to EPA combined estimate of about 24MPG (80% 4WD). If the average is about 10% below EPA, I don't think many folks would be surprised. We know that the EPA cycle doesn't match everyone's driving situation. It does provide a standard method to compare different vehicles. I'm sure that manufacturers design to get the best results on that cycle, which may be slightly different than how they would design otherwise. No surprise there, as they are being rewarded for designing that way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You must have loads of free time to waste if you had time to add up all that data. My city/highway driving is roughly 50/50, with 13,500 miles on the odometer since last July. I'm not a speeder, setting the cruise on the highway (relatively flat ground mostly) at 73mph. My readout says 22.2 avg, hand calculated says almost spot on 22mpg, all with a 3.92 rear end.
Nope, it takes 30 seconds to find that data, from real world owners, not internet fanboys.

Reactions: justind

·
Registered
50 Posts
If there's bitching, moaning, and whining to be done, you're our man! Congrats. It's too bad really because you're not so much of a cryer on your youtube vids. They're pretty good most of the time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If there's bitching, moaning, and whining to be done, you're our man! Congrats. It's too bad really because you're not so much of a cryer on your youtube vids. They're pretty good most of the time.
I would take that criticism if you complemented my YouTube videos that way, but I suppose you were complementing someone else.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
45 Posts
Now that it is warmer upper 29s all day just like it was from day one off the lot. Have results to prove it. Over 26000 miles on my 2020. 3:92 gears btw. That is all highway driving

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Columboc, I live near the Sunapee region and just bought a 2021 Ecodiesel. So far mpg is impressive if the evic is fairly close. Especially with winter fuel and 300 miles on the truck.
welcome Troverman
Glad to hear . I’m curious as to your rear diff gearing is it 3.92 or 3.21like mine. The hills in Bradford are tough on mileage. Now that it’s getting warmer,my mpg are climbing
off topic, but here’s what awaited me on my lat trip to Bradford.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

My personal truck has a 1 year average of 19.4 MPG now. Granted, my city driving has increased slightly due to COVID and working from home. So if I were still driving to the office daily I'd likely be in the 21 MPG range myself.

View attachment 89019

View attachment 89019
Hi waxman
Sorry your mpg’ so ain’t so good.
I do think there are a few users on the fuelly eco page that are really gas engines.
I also think the 3.92 rear diff would be nice to add on the fuelly page. Oh and also how big are peoples tires ?
If you look at both of my Fuelly trucks, you will see that every entry has a comment. I think that helps anyone who is looking for real world. It tells people that the entries are not screwed up.( some entries will have a guy getting 99mpg... etc). I wish you could get a separate section for when you tow.
I have notice my mpg does not start improving on my rides until the transmission temps climb to normal. It’s been in the teens every morning here in Boston. My ride is 30 miles each way. I also see my driving style during warm up plays a big part in my mpg.
I noticed that if took a route that kept my speed at 40 mph until the trans and engine warmed up as opposed to getting on the highway right off, my mpg got better (also 40 must be a sweet spot ).
I love my truck. I try not to be a “ fanboy”, but my truck is doing great for me, and my fuelly page help back it up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I did a lot of highway driving this week. The on board computer was reporting 30.6 mpg( 31.6 before I had a day of really bad traffic due to a crash on rt 128 today and some bad in town traffic) . My hand calculations was 632 miles at 29.5 mpg. The temps were a lot warmer in Boston this week.
steep hills and traffic light play into my mpg. I wonder what this truck will do on a long flat highway trip and also towing.

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel crew cab 4x4
93 Posts
welcome Troverman
Glad to hear . I’m curious as to your rear diff gearing is it 3.92 or 3.21like mine. The hills in Bradford are tough on mileage. Now that it’s getting warmer,my mpg are climbing
off topic, but here’s what awaited me on my lat trip to Bradford.
Ouch on that tree! We did have some big winds. My truck has a 3.92 rear end.

My own opinion of the gearing is that 3.92 trucks will do better in city driving, and 3.21 trucks will do better on the highway. From what I've seen my truck is most happy at just between 50-55mph. That's about 1600RPMs for me, and peak torque for the motor. The 8-speed in these trucks has as wide a gear ratio spread as a Ford or GM 10-speed, and it helps with axle gearing differences as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My truck is 4x4 with limited slip rear end. When I ordered the truck , I was surprised that my order went through requesting a 3.55. On delivery it was a 3.21.
ill see ho much of a problem that will be when I do my first tow. Trailer is 20feet. And 3500lbs empty. It’s about 5000 max.
I notice this truck definitely does not warm up like the old 2015 ecodiesel. Ive been using my homemade winter front a lot. My 27 mile ride to work just gets up to operating temps. I think it has to do with the transmission temps. Once the trans gets up to temp is when my mpg starts to get really l good.
So far I’m please with the 27 plus mpg
Just made an 805 mile trip from Chattanooga to High point NC and back on one tank with around 10 miles of extra driving not accounted for. Turned out 31.7 mpg hand calculated not including the non gps tracked mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just made an 805 mile trip from Chattanooga to High point NC and back on one tank with around 10 miles of extra driving not accounted for. Turned out 31.7 mpg hand calculated not including the non gps tracked mileage.
Wow! 805 miles.only reasons to stop are to get coffee and get rid of coffee.
what is you set up on the truck?
I have a friend who baught a. vw that gets 40 mpg. Two months ago he was bragging about how his Chevy gasser could sometimes get 22mpg on the highway. Last week he said he could not afford it getting 14 mph average. The real trick here is ,average/every day driving.
I filled up on the way home tonight.diesel was 2.49$ at BJ’S .I went 636miles. it calculated out to 29 mpg. not bad considering the bad traffic.
on my fuelly page I have been noting the hours driven on the evic. My average speed is about 28mpg most weeks
by the way, I took a closer look at the fuelly ram ecodiesel trucks listed there. There are a ton of mistakes as well as truck that aren’t really diesels!
Now I want to play The Who has gone the most miles on a tank(26 and 33) game. I think you’re in the lead so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Wow! 805 miles.only reasons to stop are to get coffee and get rid of coffee.
what is you set up on the truck?
I have a friend who baught a. vw that gets 40 mpg. Two months ago he was bragging about how his Chevy gasser could sometimes get 22mpg on the highway. Last week he said he could not afford it getting 14 mph average. The real trick here is ,average/every day driving.
I filled up on the way home tonight.diesel was 2.49$ at BJ’S .I went 636miles. it calculated out to 29 mpg. not bad considering the bad traffic.
on my fuelly page I have been noting the hours driven on the evic. My average speed is about 28mpg most weeks
by the way, I took a closer look at the fuelly ram ecodiesel trucks listed there. There are a ton of mistakes as well as truck that aren’t really diesels!
Now I want to play The Who has gone the most miles on a tank(26 and 33) game. I think you’re in the lead so far.
I just saw your previous posit that describes you truck.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts