RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking like the re-designed Suburban will have the 3.0L diesel has an engine option in 2021 along with a push button shift transmission & an air ride option as well.

The push button shifter gave me a flash back to the early 60's Mopar's with the push button torque-flight transmission. We always called it the typewriter shifter. You could do some serious neutral drops with that shifter tranny combination:eek:o_O

Interesting times in the lite diesel truck segment!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I hope this makes Ford consider a small powerstroke expedition, but more importantly.......a 6.7L Excursion with the aluminum body and solid axles

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wasn't there talk a few years back about Jeep coming out with a larger SUV? Throw the ED in it and now FCA has something to compete with the Tahoe.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Funny you mention the push button transmission. PErhaps that is a thing with GM nowadays. I just came back from a trip where I rented a car and the cheapest thing was a GMC Terrain, a small SUV or Crossover with the 4 cylinder Ecotec engine. It was dark when I arrived and I got into it and started it up and couldn't find a gear selector. Nothing traditional on the steering column, not between the seats and no dial on the dash like Chrysler/Ram. Finally at the bottom of the center stack in the dark I saw push buttons marked P,R, N, D and L. I pushed on them and nothing happened. After more fumbling I found you had to push down and kind of pull out. It was very inconvenient I thought because you have to take your eyes off the road and look down in a dark hole to see and get the right button. Not a very ergonometric design.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Once upon a time when I was working with Vern, I remember putting it out there that if they were to make a 3D air ride Durango I would somehow get one even though I was thoroughly upside-down on my truck at the time. FCA already has all of the equipment in stock and already do this on the JGC. Why not the Durango???

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I believe GM is doing away with the solid axle out back as well. What’s next for the iconic Suburban, a unibody?!?

I hope not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Heck
I believe GM is doing away with the solid axle out back as well. What’s next for the iconic Suburban, a unibody?!?

I hope not!

Heck, why not? All they are is stylish poorer functioning minivans that get worse fuel mileage lol.

Sure if you can afford one then buy what you want I guess, I just cant approach buying a vehicle with that much impracticality. My wife wants a Tahoe. To me the third row seats are un usable and it gets the same mileage as a pickup and they want stupid money for them. I said a minivan sounds much better. She decided to keep her car lol

·
Registered
279 Posts
Suburbans are mini vans that can tow. If you don't regularly tow a boat and haul a family of 5 or more, you're wasting resources with a suburban. We owned a Chrysler minivan, then a suburban (same vintage). The suburban was worse in every categor, especially comfort and fuel economy. IMO you're a fool to make your family suffer in an SUV unless you tow.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Suburbans are mini vans that can tow. If you don't regularly tow a boat and haul a family of 5 or more, you're wasting resources with a suburban. We owned a Chrysler minivan, then a suburban (same vintage). The suburban was worse in every categor, especially comfort and fuel economy. IMO you're a fool to make your family suffer in an SUV unless you tow.
I don’t know, they are pretty comfortable to me. Good capabilities, comfortable, just not fuel efficient. I could’ve easily went with one plus a trailer instead of the EcoDiesel.

*Edited because I had a knee jerk reaction and wasn’t needed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Times change.

I remember back in the 80's & early 90's when the suburban was the go-to tow rig if you had a travel trailer. They were one of the only rigs that could tow, haul multiple passengers with some gear thrown in. I worked in Cooper Landing Alaska from '85 to '90 and every year the Airstream club would come through on the way down the Kenia peninsula. There would be dozens or Airstreams and probably 90% of them were hooked behind a suburban.

I ran my sport fishing camp with a suburban back then. It was 3/4ton 4x4 350CID with the turbo 400. I could haul 9 people and tow three stacked drift boats with it, it was one of the most versatile rigs I've ever owned. That suburban made four trips up & down the Alcan highway round tripping from Colorado to Alaska. Then transporting boats and fishermen for the fishing lodge all summer and then spend all winter hauling skiers from the Denver airport to the ski resorts for three months every winter. I put close to 400,000 miles on it with only normal maintenance, brakes & tires. Never had a break down or major issue with it. What an awesome rig!

I've said for along time that GM screwed up by discontinuing the 3/4 ton Suburban & focusing solely on the higher trim level customer. I feel if they would have kept the 3/4 ton and put the Duramax drivetrain in it they would have had a winner with the RV trailer tuggers.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was eagerly waiting for Chevys 3.0 diesel till I found out what kind of garbage transfer case they have gone with.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I don’t know, they are pretty comfortable to me. Good capabilities, comfortable, just not fuel efficient. I could’ve easily went with one plus a trailer instead of the EcoDiesel.

*Edited because I had a knee jerk reaction and wasn’t needed.

If your not in the front seat or capital a chairs in the back they are not comfortable at all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts