RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 2021 Ram Rebel, picked it up 4 days ago. 480 miles on it.

Today, driving home in the rain, truck started bucking at varying speeds. It got progressively worse. I thought it was a bad batch of fuel or water (no water in fuel light tho).

After bucking a few more times it disabled ESC, ETC, and the same service lights came
Up along with check engine light. Truck was extremely sluggish then; like reduced power mode.

I tried pulling over, turning off the engine and trying to let it reset. The time it took from that to it disabling ESC and ETC again got shorter each time.

any thoughts? One dealer I called said it may just need to be reflashed?

can’t think of anything I did that would’ve caused any of this. I revved the engine for my son the other day. But drove fine for a while since that.

kinda bummed I have an issue before I even hit 500 miles. Hopefully it something easy and simple and doesn’t plague me.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had an EGR valve problem at 300 miles. It was in the middle of COVID so it took a while to get the truck back. After it was fixed, I have 15000 problem free miles. The truck went into limp mode and seemed the same as your truck. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brand new 2021 Ram Rebel, picked it up 4 days ago. 480 miles on it.

Today, driving home in the rain, truck started bucking at varying speeds. It got progressively worse. I thought it was a bad batch of fuel or water (no water in fuel light tho).

After bucking a few more times it disabled ESC, ETC, and the same service lights came
Up along with check engine light. Truck was extremely sluggish then; like reduced power mode.

I tried pulling over, turning off the engine and trying to let it reset. The time it took from that to it disabling ESC and ETC again got shorter each time.

any thoughts? One dealer I called said it may just need to be reflashed?

can’t think of anything I did that would’ve caused any of this. I revved the engine for my son the other day. But drove fine for a while since that.

kinda bummed I have an issue before I even hit 500 miles. Hopefully it something easy and simple and doesn’t plague me.
Hi, all, I have a 2021 Ram Bighorn and mine did the same thing at 380 miles, I have a apointment for next thursday to have it fixed, I hope

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the fix is in!

The cram shift position sensor wire harness was not fully engaged into the locking clip. 480 miles causes it to loosen, get caught in the driveshaft, and tug two wires loose.

Replaced and soldered two wires, replugged in clip, works perfect now. Checked all wire harnesses.

I guess everyone makes mistakes, especially with the crazy schedule the Sterling Hts plant has been working cuz of COVID and the outbreak. But don’t they have a QA/QC?

More interestingly, what dumb ass engineer put critical sensor wiring near a rotating shaft?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts