RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
649 Posts
Boo....
Cant say I didnt see this coming... They are discontinuing the Charger and Challenger as well. and the hemi.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We're not hearing the full story. It doesn't make sense to stop production of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but continue EcoDiesel production in the Wrangler and Gladiator. That tells me there's an engine shortage or something else going on. The electric won't be available until 2024, so why cut off the Ram EcoDiesel in January 2023?

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
649 Posts
I’ve lived my ecodiesel and it’s been solid but I probably would t buy another anyway. I am going to give the hurricane a go or buy an old vehicle and make it new. I don’t have any warm fuzzies towards the complications of parts and maintenance and general bs with new vehicles.
Yes the industry seems to be moving towards the masses leasing and not owning and its becoming more difficult to own and maintain a vehicle for reasonable costs if your not doing the work yourself. as far as parts availability I can tell you the classics have there own set of issues right now... The parts that are available are more or less poor knockoffs.. For example flat tappet cam failures on breakin are at an all time high regardless of lube and procedure used.. still I feel owning even an 80's era truck right now is vastly cheaper and easier to keep on the road.

I hope im wrong but once we reach the tipping point with electric cars I think we will see the gas prices climb and there will be less leverage to keep them reasonable.. The holdouts will find they just cant justify the gas guzzling classics and hot rods. I myself have nothing against hybrid or electric vehicles if the tech gets to where it makes sense and I understand the infrastructure comes with the demand for it but I also like to work on my old school cars and hate the thought of being forced away from them.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,783 Posts
Good Stellantis newsmedia release. That history section is a useful recap from the 2009 Ram brand to present.

I join many who will miss the Ecodiesel. There was and is lots of positives to the package for light duty truck owners. That will be sadly missed. As for the future with the gas Hurricane engine and electric power - sure will be a change many of us will not easily accept.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm sorry to see the Ecodiesel go also. My truck has been reliable so far and I enjoy the way the diesel performs in towing and fuel economy. I hope Stellantis keeps a good stock pile of the gen 2 (2014-19) engines around for replacements due to the somewhat high failure rates. I would hate to see a lot of these trucks junked due to lack of replacement engines in the future. I'm not trying to be negative, I really like my Ecodiesel, just don't know what the future will hold.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We're not hearing the full story. It doesn't make sense to stop production of the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel but continue EcoDiesel production in the Wrangler and Gladiator. That tells me there's an engine shortage or something else going on. The electric won't be available until 2024, so why cut off the Ram EcoDiesel in January 2023?
Good point but could it make sense to shut down a year prior (I am assuming the start of half ton electric production) because it very well could take that long to retool the assembly line and retrain the assembly workers. Maybe someone with auto assembly line experience can chime in?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point but could it make sense to shut down a year prior (I am assuming the start of half ton electric production) because it very well could take that long to retool the assembly line and retrain the assembly workers. Maybe someone with auto assembly line experience can chime in?
I'm thinking it's a part and/or supply chain issue with the engines. In recent months, people have reported issues when trying to order a Ram with the EcoDiesel option. I'm only guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't enough engines for all three platforms, so they decided to cut Ram off and continue offering the EcoDiesel in the Jeep platform.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
341 Posts
Except for those of us who primarily tow. 13 mpg vs. 8 buys a lot of diesel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Agreed, my hemi was horrible for towing. If all you do with your truck is drive around with no weight then sure a hemi with a 3.21 axle ratio is great. That's not what a truck is meant for though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Except for those of us who primarily tow. 13 mpg vs. 8 buys a lot of diesel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I never thought it was that good on towing. If I was going to buy a truck for towing I would get a one ton witch I have. If you going to tow just a couple times a year a half ton Gas will work just as good. I always thought the EcoD I had was gutless but I did get a lot of mileage out of it.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
341 Posts
I never thought it was that good on towing. If I was going to buy a truck for towing I would get a one ton witch I have. If you going to tow just a couple times a year a half ton Gas will work just as good. I always thought the EcoD I had was gutless but I did get a lot of mileage out of it.
Sure you had an EcoD? At some point RAM messed up the tuning which made them gutless and have terrible turbo type lag but eventually that was "mostly" fixed. An aftermarket tune really wakes these trucks up. Deleting them improves the longevity greatly. I pull my 5'er and gooseneck flat deck with mine regularly and thoroughly enjoy it. Doesn't have a lot of power compared to a Cummins/Powerstroke/Duramax but it's got descent power and gets great mileage.

·
Registered
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
16 Posts
Very happy with this truck. Wonder how scarcity of these engines in the 1500 will impact resale prices. Given that diesel will still be around for a while (shipping, trucking), I suspect there will be a market for a half ton diesel truck for a while. Will less out there mean better resale? 🤔🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wonder how scarcity of these engines in the 1500 will impact resale prices. Given that diesel will still be around for a while (shipping, trucking), I suspect there will be a market for a half ton diesel truck for a while. Will less out there mean better resale? 🤔🤷‍♂️
I don't think prices will drop any faster than the same truck with the Hemi or Pentastar, but I also don't think they are going to hold value any better. Overall, consumers are becoming less interested in keeping vehicles long-term, so I think the EcoDiesel will only be attractive to a small audience going forward. The current situation might motivate aftermarket companies to take interest and keep the EcoDiesel exciting, but again, I think it will be a smaller crowd.

A lot will depend on part availability and cost. The EcoDiesel isn't particularly an easy or cheap engine to work on. As Ram releases new engines, people will be quick to dump the EcoDiesel and move forward.

I plan to keep my EcoDiesel trucks, but that was the plan before the news broke. I'm now tempted to buy a Wrangler or Gladiator EcoDiesel, too.

Reactions: YetiMtb

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sure you had an EcoD? At some point RAM messed up the tuning which made them gutless and have terrible turbo type lag but eventually that was "mostly" fixed. An aftermarket tune really wakes these trucks up. Deleting them improves the longevity greatly. I pull my 5'er and gooseneck flat deck with mine regularly and thoroughly enjoy it. Doesn't have a lot of power compared to a Cummins/Powerstroke/Duramax but it's got descent power and gets great mileage.
I’m sure I had one. I actually had a decent truck got a Lot of miles out of it more then most. But it was avgutless wonder I wouldn’t have ever hocked a Gooseneck to it. it had enough trouble with a bumper pull so much I just started pulling everything with. One ton.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’m sure I had one. I actually had a decent truck got a Lot of miles out of it more then most. But it was avgutless wonder I wouldn’t have ever hocked a Gooseneck to it. it had enough trouble with a bumper pull so much I just started pulling everything with. One ton.
Sounds like a driver problem not a truck problem. Head over to the towing section for proof these trucks are more than capable of towing a wide variety of loads and trailers.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts