RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
649 Posts
Sure you had an EcoD? At some point RAM messed up the tuning which made them gutless and have terrible turbo type lag but eventually that was "mostly" fixed. An aftermarket tune really wakes these trucks up. Deleting them improves the longevity greatly. I pull my 5'er and gooseneck flat deck with mine regularly and thoroughly enjoy it. Doesn't have a lot of power compared to a Cummins/Powerstroke/Duramax but it's got descent power and gets great mileage.
Ive only ever driven the one I bought deleted and modified in other ways but guttless its not... mine blows away my last v8 ram and that had 4.56 gears with only 1/2" larger tires. I have to be careful how I accelerate because it breaks the tires loose otherwise when I dont want it to once the turbo kicks in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like a driver problem not a truck problem. Head over to the towing section for proof these trucks are more than capable of towing a wide variety of loads and trailers.
I have towed a lot in my life I have also drove a lot in my life. I know when a truck doesn’t have any power. I’m sorry for you that you never had a truck with power maybe when you trade the EcoD off you will get one with some power. I would suggest a Cummins since you tow a lot.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I’m sure I had one. I actually had a decent truck got a Lot of miles out of it more then most. But it was avgutless wonder I wouldn’t have ever hocked a Gooseneck to it. it had enough trouble with a bumper pull so much I just started pulling everything with. One ton.
Sounds like you must have been pulling loads that were made for a 1 Ton to start with. EcoDiesel and gutless should never be used in the same sentence. Used within its designed parameters it cant be beat.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
649 Posts
Sounds like you must have been pulling loads that were made for a 1 Ton to start with. EcoDiesel and gutless should never be used in the same sentence. Used within its designed parameters it cant be beat.
exactly.. this is a 1/2 ton general purpose truck and as far as half ton trucks go the 500lbs of torque or so mines putting out is plenty for anything Ill need from it.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We don't need to drive a 2022 Cummins and a 2022 EcoDiesel to know which one has the most towing potential. Just look at the max torque in the respected RPM range and compare the rated tow capacity. There's a reason why the EcoDiesel has a low tow rating compared to the Cummins. But not everyone is needing to tow heavy loads. In my opinion, the EcoDiesel is perfect for loads under 6,000 lbs. I would personally prefer a Cummins for loads over 7,000 lbs.

The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is a good balance between light to moderate towing, good fuel efficiency, and a nice comfortable daily driver. The Ram 2500/3500 Cummins is perfect for heavy towing, but it doesn't make the best daily driver.

·
Registered
649 Posts
We don't need to drive a 2022 Cummins and a 2022 EcoDiesel to know which one has the most towing potential. Just look at the max torque in the respected RPM range and compare the rated tow capacity. There's a reason why the EcoDiesel has a low tow rating compared to the Cummins. But not everyone is needing to tow heavy loads. In my opinion, the EcoDiesel is perfect for loads under 6,000 lbs. I would personally prefer a Cummins for loads over 7,000 lbs.

The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is a good balance between light to moderate towing, good fuel efficiency, and a nice comfortable daily driver. The Ram 2500/3500 Cummins is perfect for heavy towing, but it doesn't make the best daily driver.
Exactly, two different trucks optimized for two different goals.

·
Registered
142 Posts

I never towed anything over 5500 pounds with it everything else I towed with a one ton. I towed with gas truck before and the two before the EcoD would pull better an just preform better over all. The EcoD wasn’t a bad truck it was just gutless compared to those two trucks it shined on mpg. But in this world when diesel is 5 dollars and gas is 3 dollars there is no need for it.

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
79 Posts
I never towed anything over 5500 pounds with it everything else I towed with a one ton. I towed with gas truck before and the two before the EcoD would pull better an just preform better over all. The EcoD wasn’t a bad truck it was just gutless compared to those two trucks it shined on mpg. But in this world when diesel is 5 dollars and gas is 3 dollars there is no need for it.
Ok, let's assume $3/gallon gas and $5/gallon diesel, which isn't reality, but we'll use your numbers.
Towing my trailer 2500 miles this summer would have cost me $961 with the Eco, and $937 for the gasser. So functionally, no difference whatsoever. My range with the Eco would be ~340 miles, with the gasser it would be ~210. I would have had to make 13 fuel stops with the gasser vs. 8 for the diesel. I have more range, which affords me the choice to not stay on the super slab for the whole journey. Smell the roses, and all that. That's just for the tow portions of the route.

Then there's the difference in how the vehicle "feels". Towing with a Hemi would have me running > 3-4k RPMS continuously for 8-10 hours a day. It's more exhausting. It's louder. It's far more CO2 production, which some of us do care about as much as we are able.

Your "no need" is to me all the difference in the world, and the reason I went diesel in the first place.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I realize prices are different in different places but I just filled my truck in an hour ago the diesel is $5 - 5.30 a gallon here and the 89 the hemi specs is still 3.85-4.31 a gallon.

I was working in lubbock tx a couple weeks ago and was shocked how cheap the fuel was there. quite a contrast to how pricey it was up in Canada where I was the week before. Which makes me wonder how that keystone pipeline was supposed to work to bring fuel prices down, especially since the tar sand they were going to pump from Canada were designated to be refine down at the gulf and sold elswhere, not used in the US?

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
I don't think prices will drop any faster than the same truck with the Hemi or Pentastar, but I also don't think they are going to hold value any better. Overall, consumers are becoming less interested in keeping vehicles long-term, so I think the EcoDiesel will only be attractive to a small audience going forward. The current situation might motivate aftermarket companies to take interest and keep the EcoDiesel exciting, but again, I think it will be a smaller crowd.

A lot will depend on part availability and cost. The EcoDiesel isn't particularly an easy or cheap engine to work on. As Ram releases new engines, people will be quick to dump the EcoDiesel and move forward.

I plan to keep my EcoDiesel trucks, but that was the plan before the news broke. I'm now tempted to buy a Wrangler or Gladiator EcoDiesel, too.
Article on the news last night said that the average new car is now being held onto for 12 years. Makes the push to all electric that much longer to obtain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I realize prices are different in different places but I just filled my truck in an hour ago the diesel is $5 - 5.30 a gallon here and the 89 the hemi specs is still 3.85-4.31 a gallon.

I was working in lubbock tx a couple weeks ago and was shocked how cheap the fuel was there. quite a contrast to how pricey it was up in Canada where I was the week before. Which makes me wonder how that keystone pipeline was supposed to work to bring fuel prices down, especially since the tar sand they were going to pump from Canada were designated to be refine down at the gulf and sold elswhere, not used in the US?
Here is Louisiana, I fileddnup yesterday and diesel was $4.29 and gas was $2.89 a gallon.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage2, EOC Stage2, Timbren bumps, Straight Pipe, 6' 4" box
341 Posts
Ive only ever driven the one I bought deleted and modified in other ways but guttless its not... mine blows away my last v8 ram and that had 4.56 gears with only 1/2" larger tires. I have to be careful how I accelerate because it breaks the tires loose otherwise when I dont want it to once the turbo kicks in.
Same! Can't say how it was stock but with 3.92 and the 40hp stage 2 from EOC it easily spins the tires from a red light. Far more torque than my old hemi.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Having a stock 3.92, I'll say that it runs very similar to the Dodge's I grew up with: 68 Plymouth Belvedere II and 72 Dodge Charger both with the 318. You put the pedal down, took a breath to wait for the car to decide if you really meant to do that. Then if you didn't get off the gas, you hung on for dear life! I will add that my 2010 VW diesel gets off the line quicker but then this is a truck. I'm not expecting it to drive like a car.

·
Registered
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
16 Posts
This topic went off line but it’s interesting nonetheless. The strength of this engine with towing is the usable power. It’s not twitchy or aggressive with acceleration, but pulls like a beast without breaking a sweat. To me that is perfect for towing. Slow, composed, usable power that is easy to handle and doesn’t over stress the transmission or engine. If you want acceleration, that’s appropriate in a sports car for improving corner exit speeds or drifting. Totally different applications. I love this truck. Will keep it as long as diesel prices are affordable to me. Will be sad to see it leave the 1500 platform.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
Wish I could buy diesel here in South Florida for $4.27 a gallon. $4.69 is the cheapest I have see here in a while. Gas is around $3.30. On my run to Georgia the last couple of weeks the cost difference was even more. I really did see very close to $2 a gallon difference gas to diesel on Interstate 75. That was both in Florida and in Georgia. For diesel you also have to add in the expense of the DEF. Recently that has gone up about $2 a gallon so not it is pushing $5 a gallon.

Add up the cost difference plus the DEF and things are getting very close to the same operating costs towing and solo. Then add on the premium cost for diesel oil, filters and the extra price of the diesel motors before making your decision on whether diesel is right for you.

·
Registered
142 Posts

I’m glad you like your trucks. But I will compare my old gmc it gets an average of 16 mpg my EcoD got and average of 22 I never used 89 only 87 in it but I will use your numbers. I had close to 352000 miles witch would have used around 16000 gallons of fuel the gmc would have used 22000 gallons of fuel at 5.30 a gallon it would be 84800 gmc at 4.31 would be 94820 but add on the 4500 difference the EcoD cost over the gas then add the oil change difference on. Witch the dealership charges 249 on the EcoD and 79 on the gmc The EcoD still
Cost more just on fuel, oil changes and the up front cost not counting def. But when you figure the cost of 87 gasoline At 3.13 it becomes a no brainer for gas. Just to let everyone know the gmc only has 345000 miles on it. Almost everything on the EcoD cost more. I liked both truck had good service with both but just that the gmc would out preform it. My main point is at 5 dollar diesel the EcoD is not worth it if gas and diesel was the same price then that would be a different story.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
Sure different from the days when I got off-rod fuel for my tractor and some spilled into the old GMC diesel. Price then was maybe $1.20 a gallon. Road fuel was $1.50 and gas was $1.60. For years diesel was always less than gas.

Changes are not good.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I’m glad you like your trucks. But I will compare my old gmc it gets an average of 16 mpg my EcoD got and average of 22 I never used 89 only 87 in it but I will use your numbers. I had close to 352000 miles witch would have used around 16000 gallons of fuel the gmc would have used 22000 gallons of fuel at 5.30 a gallon it would be 84800 gmc at 4.31 would be 94820 but add on the 4500 difference the EcoD cost over the gas then add the oil change difference on. Witch the dealership charges 249 on the EcoD and 79 on the gmc The EcoD still
Cost more just on fuel, oil changes and the up front cost not counting def. But when you figure the cost of 87 gasoline At 3.13 it becomes a no brainer for gas. Just to let everyone know the gmc only has 345000 miles on it. Almost everything on the EcoD cost more. I liked both truck had good service with both but just that the gmc would out preform it. My main point is at 5 dollar diesel the EcoD is not worth it if gas and diesel was the same price then that would be a different story.
I bought my truck used for 19 grand so no $4500 option charge in my case.. the gas trucks of the same vintage and in the same shape are selling for around the same money so it was a wash in my case... I was comparing a hemi because I was shopping for a ram and according to ram the hemi requires 89 octane thats the only reason I went with those numbers. and here 89 is still around $4 a gallon were the diesel is a dollar more a gallon. I do understand the point your making here though.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Sure different from the days when I got off-rod fuel for my tractor and some spilled into the old GMC diesel. Price then was maybe $1.20 a gallon. Road fuel was $1.50 and gas was $1.60. For years diesel was always less than gas.

Changes are not good.
Diesel went above rug starting in 2006 when we were pushed to the ultra low sulphur diesel. The extra treatment adds about 2 cents to the total processing but the change over effected the supply curve heavier than anticipated. Those setting fuel prices never looked back!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts