RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if this is a long post but I wanted to tell you about the trip that I just returned home from. The picture attached shows the trailer that I was towing from Regina, Sk, Canada to Banff, Alberta, Canada in the Rocky Mountains. This is the second chance I've had to tow this trailer for any great length and this time it was loaded right up with all the essentials for a week long vacation with the wife and 18 month old daughter.

Let me start by saying that we have had a very wet and storm filled spring/summer here which has a lot of high wind days. This time of year it tends to be out of the West and well, lets just say, that it couldn't have been any worse of conditions to head out that direction the day I left. We drove the first day 900km (560 miles) into a pretty steady wind at 30km/h (19MPH) gusting up to 50km/h (31MPH). In these conditions with my 07 Hemi with a slightly smaller camper I was getting 7 MPG last summer. This trailer is 27' compared to the 21' I had last year just to give you an idea. Not sure of the exact weight difference. With an elevation increase of 810 meters (2,650 ft) and rolling terrain, (obviously, when heading to the mountains) I got an average of 18.75 l/100km (12.54 MPG) traveling at speeds from 90-105km/h (56-65MPH). I was initially not too thrilled with this but then I started thinking back to last summer and the money I just watched leave my hands with my last truck. And that was with a smaller trailer!! I quickly changed my tune and started thinking about what I might be able to get in ideal situations.

I have the CC Laramie with 6'4" box, air suspension and 3.92's and thought that there would be no chance of seeing the mileage some of the guys on here were seeing. But on that last day, while on a 100 km (60 mile) round trip through the Rockies I was seeing the On The Fly readout on the EVIC show numbers in the 6.5-8 l/100km 31- MPG range steady. I was thrilled. It was perfect conditions. No wind, no extra gear in the bed. Just my wife, daughter and myself. This totally has changed my outlook on my truck. I didn't have a mileage dud!! Which I was beginning to think I did!

On the way home, again it was 900 km (560 miles) with a decrease in elevation of 810 meters (2,659 ft) and the same rolling terrain. We had a side wind this time. It was a helper wind for parts but mainly into the side of us. Some points it really made the trailer dance behind me. I traveled again between the 90-105km/h (56-65MPH) range and was able to get 15.15 l/km (15.52 MPG). I am thinking that I could probably expect to see around the 13.8-15.7 l/100km (15-17 MPG) range with ideal conditions if in the absolute worst conditions I can get 12 MPG. This is why I got this truck. I was tired of spending so much money on fuel just to take a vacation with my family. All things considered, I have found new faith in this truck and am no longer second guessing my decision to buy it. It handled everything that I threw at it on this trip like a champ.

I hope this helps any of you that are planning on towing bricks behind your trucks in the future. If only it was a little more aerodynamic....

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for your detailed trip report. I only have to remind myself of the old trucks mpg to put a smile on my face. Looks like you did the same.

Nice looking rig.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,881 Posts
Good report. Thanks. Nice to hear.
Aero drag makes a bigger difference than length and weight as far as MPG goes on longer trips.
I'd be very happy to get 14-16 MPG towing our Airstream. I currently get 8-10 towing with our Toyota Sequoia.
My Daily driver gets 10 MPG, so the new EcoDiesel will be a welcome addition.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! That's exactly it. Not to mention the multiple luxury items it has to make every moment in it feel comfortable!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks! That's exactly it. Not to mention the multiple luxury items it has to make every moment in it feel comfortable!
I've got the 29BHS Jayflight that looks real similar to yours. Good to hear your results. Did you hand calculate your results at all? What is your trailer weight? No sag in thAt rear so I believe you have air suspension and looks like a WD hitch?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Right on, thanks for the report. I absolutely love these real world reports of how a truck actually performs. I made the final decision to buy my ED on reports just like this one on these forums. I haven't had the opportunity yet to pull my travel trailer but I am very happy knowing that I will be able to do it, even out west in the Rockies when it comes time.

Cheers!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've got the 29BHS Jayflight that looks real similar to yours. Good to hear your results. Did you hand calculate your results at all? What is your trailer weight? No sag in thAt rear so I believe you have air suspension and looks like a WD hitch?
I use an app on my phone called "fillup" to log/calculate all my fuel and mileage. Saves me a bit of time. Dry weight is just under 5,000lbs and the gvwr is 7,400. I didn't weight it but would think it was right around that 7,000lb mark with everything I had loaded into it. And yes, I do have air suspension and a WD hitch. Love the suspension. It levels it out well before I get the hitch completely set up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How did your truck perform going up the steeper grades? Did it downshift and really up the rpms in order to maintain speed or did it just go on up? Or did you kick it out of cruise control and let the speed drop?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It actually did really well on most steep grades. The longer steeper grades it did downshift and amp up the rpms but I never once felt like it couldn't or wouldn't maintain the speed I was traveling. Your mileage takes a hit though every time that happens so I tried taking cruise off on some. At the end of the day, I think keeping your momentum and maintaining your speed with cruise may be best.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Perfect report for my upcomming situation, I have a trip comming up at the end of july going from fort st john bc to south manitoba pulling a 28' trailer, 4500lbs dry and 6500lbs loaded up. I also have air suspension and a WD hitch.

One quick note to point out, you should be setting up your hitch before your air suspension levels it out. Put the truck in jack mode in normal drive hight, put your trailer on the truck then level it out with the hitch, then turn the suspension back on. The suspension shouldnt have to do much for leveling at that point.

Thanks for the write up

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perfect report for my upcomming situation, I have a trip comming up at the end of july going from fort st john bc to south manitoba pulling a 28' trailer, 4500lbs dry and 6500lbs loaded up. I also have air suspension and a WD hitch.

One quick note to point out, you should be setting up your hitch before your air suspension levels it out. Put the truck in jack mode in normal drive hight, put your trailer on the truck then level it out with the hitch, then turn the suspension back on. The suspension shouldnt have to do much for leveling at that point.

Thanks for the write up
Great idea about the suspension! I will try that next time. I always thought that once the hitch was hooked up it would adjust itself again due to not as much weight on it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It will adjust stself again but now it has to fight the WD hitch. If you can get it as close to normal ride height as possible before the suspension levels it you take alot of unessassary stress off the suspension and put it on the hitch.

Reactions: Izzy

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
there are some other trailer/towing forums that also recommend the same - turn off the air suspension first, get your WD hitch connected & setup, then turn on air suspension again. seems to be consistent and most recommended method.

·
Registered
471 Posts
there are some other trailer/towing forums that also recommend the same - turn off the air suspension first, get your WD hitch connected & setup, then turn on air suspension again. seems to be consistent and most recommended method.
I agree turning off the air suspension while hooking up the trailer is the best way to go. The only problem is I haven't found a way to turn off the air suspension on the 3D. :( Will read through the manual again to see if I missed something.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree turning off the air suspension while hooking up the trailer is the best way to go. The only problem is I haven't found a way to turn off the air suspension on the 3D. :( Will read through the manual again to see if I missed something.
The option is in your settings then suspension menu on your main screen

·
Registered
51 Posts
^ Yup, check check the box for jack mode but be sure your in normal ride height first, then when your hooked up and hitch is set un check the jak mode box and let the suspension do the rest.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive report. I hope you had a great time here in Banff! I would be very interested to here from you how your truck will handle our beutiful 9 months long winters. There are some reports of issues with air suspension at temperatures below -20 C (-4 F). Have fun with your new toy!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks of the information on the air suspension on/off controls.

Should also add, I just towed our travel trailer, 7,200 pounds loaded, 250 miles round trip and averaged 14mpg towing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great write up. I watched it closely for the first 5,000 miles and now don't pay attention to it. It goes a long way on a tank of fuel. (And In Comfort) i cannot pay so much attention to the MPG as it detracts from the experience of driving this nice truck. I seriously am ordering a 2015 for me when they start taking orders. (My wife claimed the ED we have)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts