RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it started like a charm...

So just came back from my European trip and was a bit concerned that truck may not start after sitting in the cold for a while. Was thinking that diesel may gel-up, DEF freeze and battery dead. But it started without any problems. No hesitation at all. And I even used my remote start.

Before the trip did my Krown rust proofing, oil change and on the day of the trip filled her up 3/4 of the way. Thinking if diesel gels up it has room to expend. DEF was just below 1/2, exactly where I wanted to be. In case if DEF froze I could always top it off to thaw it out. Anyways I'm a strong believer that in winter DEF should stay below 1/2 and so far it proved ok.

What can I say, I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I love these kinds of posts. Sometimes we paint a picture of these trucks that is way too fragile.

zugidang....just a note that your DEF tank has a heater in it that takes care of the bottom portion of the tank. DEF freezes at a fairly high temperature.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good to hear you're happy. It really hasn't been that cold here in S Ontario for you to even worry about any of the issues you've mentioned. Diesel fuel gelling is pretty rare these days and we don't get the ball breaking cold like our friends up north or out west. It would have to be a super cold day in hell for your entire fuel tank to gel solid.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zugidang....just a note that your DEF tank has a heater in it that takes care of the bottom portion of the tank. DEF freezes at a fairly high temperature.
DEF freezes at -11ºC. I keep it less than 1/2 full in winter just for the fact that heater is on the bottom part of the tank.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear you're happy. It really hasn't been that cold here in S Ontario for you to even worry about any of the issues you've mentioned. Diesel fuel gelling is pretty rare these days and we don't get the ball breaking cold like our friends up north or out west. It would have to be a super cold day in hell for your entire fuel tank to gel solid.
I was checking weather while in Europe and if memory serves me right on the day that i left we had a storm and for a while temperature at night was hitting -19ºC. I'm north of hwy 7 and we get some weird weather. At least winter diesel in NA is reted for a lot cooler temperatures. In EU it is rated for -20ºC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was checking weather while in Europe and if memory serves me right on the day that i left we had a storm and for a while temperature at night was hitting -19ºC. I'm north of hwy 7 and we get some weird weather. At least winter diesel in NA is reted for a lot cooler temperatures. In EU it is rated for -20ºC.
I will say as a fleet mechanic in Manitoba that the "winter" mix changes for the area you are in IE south Dakota fuel WILL GEL in Manitoba cold ( i DO NOT know the temp but have seen it many times)

and for DEF a friend manages a school bus fleet a and the OEMs tell them to keep the DEF level between 1/4 and 3/4

also Mack brand tractors have a decal stating do NOT fill beyond 3/4 when below ZERO F

1 - 7 of 7 Posts