RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be much better deals on the 2500s with the 6.4 HEMI.
Are there any real work reviews of this engine truck combo? Fuel Mileage? Needs a tune?
I don't two often but when I do it can reach 11k. My next vehicle will be a 2500 mostly because I want a 2500.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Doubt any gasser needs any kind of tune. Actually most of the diesel tunes deal with controlling the emissions debacle equipment. Sure some deal with power but the diesel emissions issue is the big negative. For a gasser you probably do not want much more in power as they all take high rpm for horsepower and then they run. Of course that's at the expense of the fuel mileage.

My brother-in-law has a 6.4 in his Power Wagon. I have both ridden in it and drove it. It is a creature for power but a thirsty camel for fuel mileage. Cruising might do 16 mpg on a good day. figure normally it will be 14 mpg. Towing means you are single digit fuel mileage for anything with any weight and/or resistance.

Check the videos on TFLTruck - Fastlane ... They may have done some testing on one of them.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
What do you tow that is 11k and where/how do you tow it?

If you moved a utility trailer a few miles once in a while i'd be inclined to stick with a half ton set up to handle the weight. If you tow an 11k TT cross country once a year i'd be more inclined to reach for a 2500.

The ecodiesel will be rated to tow your 11k in the next model 2020 when properly equipped.

·
Registered
348 Posts
2500 with 6.4L hemi will get about 18 MPG highway unloaded, 12 MPG or a bit better around town. For towing 11k, I'd recommend the 4.10 rear axle ratio. The tuck will handle the weight, but if you are towing over mountains at altitude, the Cummins is going to outperform the gas option easily. Main reason for a tune would be to improve shift points on the transmission. The 2019s have the eight speed which should help some with 11k lbs, but the the six speed works except it is geared high for a gasser, hence the recommendation for 4.10s. The 6.4 does a good job of developing power at lower rpms (for a NA gas engine) and handles cooling well (has egr cooling). Have been pretty reliable from what I have seen and driven. Loaded with 11k trailer, you are probably looking at 8 mpg as an estimate / complete guess, depending on drag and speed.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There seems to be much better deals on the 2500s with the 6.4 HEMI.
Are there any real work reviews of this engine truck combo? Fuel Mileage? Needs a tune?
I don't two often but when I do it can reach 11k. My next vehicle will be a 2500 mostly because I want a 2500.
I've Been trying to get reviews on the 8 spd and 4.10 gears towing heavy. What I have found so far is as a platform very stable and thirsty, the ZF is a big improvement over the 6 spd for the 6.4. Most are never over 3500 rpm and that's with a big 5th wheels. One was a direct comparison to a 2016, same 16klb coach. His comments were significantly less drama. Empty the MDS is much better mileage as it stays on longer. Some are in the upper teens in city driving.

I just wish TFL would Ike test one. Cap has me thinking Cummins, I do know of a big discount on a very ugly 2018. Mmmm

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Not sure what IKE test well tell you other than its gonna run 4000+ rpm loaded and get 3.something miles per gallon only going up a hill.

People saying it never goes over 3500 rpm drive conservatively like me. Its a big NA v-8 it makes peak power at tope end of the range. If you want the power you will be there.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Not sure what IKE test well tell you other than its gonna run 4000+ rpm loaded and get 3.something miles per gallon only going up a hill.

People saying it never goes over 3500 rpm drive conservatively like me. Its a big NA v-8 it makes peak power at tope end of the rangyou want the power you will be there.[/QUOT

Sounds more reasonable. As I recall his travels were in the Midwest.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The extra gearing in the 8 speed ZF is a benefit when towing heavy with the gasser, but the 66RFE has an actual dipstick under the hood you can check transmission fluid with, very easily. Smart design.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Up here in New England the Hemi sells better than the Cummins. I'd say seven out of ten are Hemis.

Go South where trucks get worked harder and over longer distances. Cummins wins big time. Virtually no hemi's.

Hemi's lighter weight helps on the 2500 when towing. But spec out the 3500 and it's Cummins every time.

·
Registered
12,799 Posts
Lots of construction vehicles run gassers in 3/4 ton around Florida. They don't travel far and when they get there idle "forever" with the flashing lights and air conditioner on.

The 3/4 ton pulls easily and is kind of immune to load size and the short, rough movements done so often off the highway. There is a good market for them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
A 3/4 ton Ram with the 6.4 or, if available, the new Ford with the 7.3 gas will be my next truck, as my daily will probably be a Tesla or something similar. Truck will just be used for truck things, and I will have to suck up the lost of fuel mileage while towing. But, $5000 of fuel goes a long way over the cost of the Cummins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts