RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/new-2019-ram-hd-cummins-diesel-cold-start-how-will-it-come-to-life-after-a-deep-freeze-video/

Cut and Paste

The newly redesigned Ram has two versions of the new Cummins straight-six diesel: the standard version with 370 hp and 850 lb-ft of torque in the 2500 & 3500 HD trucks, and this high output (H.O.) version in the 3500 HD with 400 horsepower and 1,000 lb-ft of torque. While the standard diesel is mated to an updated Ram’s 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission, the H.O. is mated to an updated 6-speed Aisin transmission.

The truck you see here is a 2019 dually 4×4 in Limited trim and with nearly every option. The final retails price on this particular truck is over $87,000.

The truck has been sitting in my driveway an entire weekend with temperatures ranging from -3F at night to 10F during the day. It was time to fire it up and go to the office on Monday morning after a -2F night, so I had to do a “cold start”. This truck did not come with an engine block heater, so it was not “plugged in” to keep it warm.

·
Registered
13,526 Posts
Have watched many of your video tests. Most often informative and objective. Good.

Now this has me thinking. It is not the newest motor as that has not been released yet. Still thinking that engine might have a block heater standard, like the little Ecodiesel. then all you do is get a cord and pdsalug it it’s.

If not, that started like it was not needed. I call that a fast start under cold conditions. No major clatter and smoke. Good for Cummins and FCA.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Seems to me it was a lot slower start than an Ecodiesel. THe preheat time was considerably longer and the cranking sounded quite slow. I do agree with others that it darn well should have started. My brother has two old early 90s vintage 5.9 Dodges that he uses for snow plowing one has about 325,000 and the other just under 300,000 miles. They start reliably down to minus 20 degrees not plugged in with a single battery. The bodies are rags but he claims nothing is better for snowplowing with the characteristics of the engine and the old torqueflyte transmission with a loose converter.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,112 Posts
Started in Butte this week at 4 degrees in a hotel. Pre heat takes a good longer than our ED. But, when it started it was like 1 or 2 cylinders caught and then more shortly. It was like old times, coughing and very rough. This is a brand new 18, less than 2500 miles. After a minute she reved up automatically. I dunno, I find the thing a hoot but very crude. The RFE trans compared to a ZF in our eco is well, the same. But it pulls like a locomotive, and very stable.

Love it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
EcoDiesel =Glowplugs
Cummins =Gridheater
Glowplugs each individual cylinder has a heating element then gets heated ...

Gridheater A heating element at the mouth of the intake heating the cold air before the air enters the cylinders....
Takes slightly longer to pre heat , usually extremely reliable and trouble free...

I’ve changed hundreds of Glowplugs in 6.9’s 7.3’s 6.2’s 6.5’s ...
I Never had to replace a single Gridheater in 40years ...

Reading Cummins forum cold weather folks have had Gridheater studs burn off and fall into their engines...
There’s usually a hard starting issue in cold temperatures, first sign .. Second sign loud engine knocking, Bad News ...I suggest when the 1st sign occurs having cold starting issues have your Gridheater replaced , preventive maintenance is always pennies vs dollars....

When hitting the auto start make sure you give your Cummins plenty of time to start before pushing remote again, if you push remote to quickly this will cancel auto start...

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I know this. When I start my ecodiesel on a cold morning it sounds like im shaking a metal coffee can full of nuts and bolts. When I listen to a cold start on my dad's 18 cummins it is just normal exhaust noise, no clatter at all. It pains me mind and ears to drive mine till it warms up from the awefull clatter it makes. His doesn't clatter at all. I plug mine in too.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I command started mine by accident one morning. About -30c, cold soaked, not plugged in. One cycle of the grid heater and she fired right up. You could tell she was cold but came alive with no drama. There is the normal Cummins rattle but that's it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts