RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out tomorrow after noon to race at Road Atlanta this weekend. Will report the usual when I get back. Will have the Torque app reading the OBDII stream for this trip so will have exhaust temp info this time. It's half flat, half rolling hills.

More details on the airbags, weight distro hitch, experiments with both, and that kind of thing should look for my previous threads. No sense saying the same stuff thread after thread.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Make another racing video. Give us a towing report. Have fun. In any order.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Looking forward to it. What's the trailer size?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am hitching my 28ft enclosed to go to Formula Drift in Wall NJ this weekend. I have the Airlift 1000 and equalizer bars as well. Probably about 9500lbs with the E46 and gear. I would like to compare our stats! haha

·
Registered
121 Posts
Heading out tomorrow after noon to race at Road Atlanta this weekend. Will report the usual when I get back. Will have the Torque app reading the OBDII stream for this trip so will have exhaust temp info this time. It's half flat, half rolling hills.

More details on the airbags, weight distro hitch, experiments with both, and that kind of thing should look for my previous threads. No sense saying the same stuff thread after thread.
Isn't the important race at Le Mans this weekend?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Isn't the important race at Le Mans this weekend?
Yes it is! I'll be spending much of my father's day watching DVR of the race... Of course I'll eagerly read Ranger's after action report!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Too busy to talk much and also there's a race video that isn't ready yet. I'm waiting on some footage from someone else to give a better perspective on a crash I was in. My car's ok, just some bent sheetmetal and a bent tie-rod that I replaced at the track. One of the 3 cars involved might have reached end-of-life tho. It hit a wall pretty hard. A really good guy, but also the guy that caused the incident. The track was Road Atlanta.

The trip was ~725miles. I paid attention to gauges and had the Android Torque app running on my phone on the way out. Half flat, half rolling hills. Ambient temp 90+deg, 7400lb 24' enclosed trailer, 64mph for most of the way, except I back off a bit when going up hills. Airlift airbags @35psi. Weight distro hitch set darn tight.

14.2mpg on EVIC. Previous testing indicates EVIC mpg is dead on. This is ~1mpg better than my "pre-EPA" 2000 Ford F-250 diesel got, and 1.5mpg better than my buddy's late model Ram Cummins.
EGT's were usually 1000-1100deg F when I was in serious boost.
Turbo was usually 10-14psi. I did not note it going higher than that, altho it was often lower.
Coolant, 222deg F which put it dead center of the analog gauge. Oil 242deg F, Tranny 179deg F.

I played around with Tow/Haul mode a bit on (fairly) flat stretches. With Tow/Haul off I seemed to be in 7th gear at 2000rpm. With Tow/Haul on I seemed to go to 6th gear at 2300rpm. Fuel mpg seemed to go slightly better when it went from 2000-2300rpm, but I would have to play around with that more before I believed it.

Truck handled like a champ. All good.

I filled up 2 days before the road trip, and also filled the 12gal aux tank and a couple 5gal jerry cans. On that load of fuel I ran around town, picked up my trailer from storage, did the road trip, and took the trailer back to storage, with ~3gal to spare. I don't like to fill up when the trailer is attached because it kind of limits me to truck stops. So fuel worked out perfectly.

Racing was a blast. We had 26 cars in my class which made for furiously close racing lap after lap. I had bad luck with dealing with faster-class traffic coming thru us and lost some positions each day, but in the end I finished in the middle. Incredibly fun, very exciting, and my car survived. Pretty much, anyways.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks for the update. What kind of mileage did you get?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the update. What kind of mileage did you get?
Oops, forgot that. Thanks for pointing it out. I've updated the post. 14.2mpg. I intentionally stayed well behind big rigs so there'd be no drafting effect.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Wow fantastic mileage man! I’ve got nearly the same setup as you. 24ft enclosed with an e30 inside.

I’ve read a couple of your other threads but would you mind touching again on a couple points? First, do you feel the airbags are necessary? I I am guessing you were just getting a lot of rear sag.

Second, have you tried without the load dist bars? Are they just anti sway or do they move some of the weight to the front axle as well?

Third, you wrote in one of your posts about shortening the hitch to get the moment arm closer to the axle I suppose. I was actually planning on going with the 6’4” bed. I don’t think they move the rear axle further back with this longer bed. Wondering how this will pull compared to your setup.

I’ve pulled for so long with a ¾ ton I’v forgotten about all the configuration setup stuff needed for the ½ ton chassis.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow fantastic mileage man! I’ve got nearly the same setup as you. 24ft enclosed with an e30 inside.

I’ve read a couple of your other threads but would you mind touching again on a couple points? First, do you feel the airbags are necessary? I I am guessing you were just getting a lot of rear sag.

Second, have you tried without the load dist bars? Are they just anti sway or do they move some of the weight to the front axle as well?

Third, you wrote in one of your posts about shortening the hitch to get the moment arm closer to the axle I suppose. I was actually planning on going with the 6’4” bed. I don’t think they move the rear axle further back with this longer bed. Wondering how this will pull compared to your setup.

I’ve pulled for so long with a ¾ ton I’v forgotten about all the configuration setup stuff needed for the ½ ton chassis.
Re. rear airbags. Well, I figure that "necessary" is in the eye of the beholder. One of my threads goes thru a lot of measurements with and w/o air bags. Most of the 3" of rear sag and all of the1" of front lift was removed with the air bags. At 3" of sag, the rear end isn't far off of the bumpstops. Hitting the bumpstops at freeway speeds would make for a very exciting ride.

Most weight distro bars do have some anti-sway functionality, but primarily mine are WD. It's just a cheap 10k lb Harbor Freight set up.

If you end up with a longer wheelbase then you'll have a better towing platform.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You're right. The 6'4" bed has a 9" longer wheelbase. I didn't realize that.

I guess I'll try no aids first and go from there. Then probably the load levelers and finally the airbags if still needed. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Now you gave me hope I could get 14+mpg when I haul north in a couple weeks. That's about what I figured when I got the truck based on my past experience towing and the performance characteristics of the Eco engine.

Thanks for the update. Now go fix your car for more fun in the future.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crash Sunday in Qualification. This video is getting a lot of plays. I got contacted by a TV show that sought to get permission to use the video. I gave them a thumbs up, we'll see if they actually use it.

Sunday race video with my usual exciting commentary.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Crash Sunday in Qualification. This video is getting a lot of plays. I got contacted by a TV show that sought to get permission to use the video. I gave them a thumbs up, we'll see if they actually use it.

Sunday race video with my usual exciting commentary.
Great video. Love the telemtry. But Rubbin is Racin. Looks like a racing incident to me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts