RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
I drive in "Drive". Choose two or four-wheel-drive depending on need and conditions.

What is "AUTO"?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I drive in 2WD all of the time unless conditions need me in 4WD. I would only use Auto if the conditions were changing a lot

·
Registered
274 Posts
Auto is a selection that leaves you in 2wd and when the truck senses a wheel slipping it will automatically kick in to 4wd to help regain control. Keep it in 2wd and put it in auto when the there's questionable contusions like rain, snow, etc

·
Registered
150 Posts
Am I wrong in concluding that there are more moving parts in action when the truck in the auto setting rather than in 2wd?

·
Registered
274 Posts
There are, but not physically engaged. Which is why I simply leave it in auto if it's raining and what not. I don't need 4wd all the time but with road conditions, pot holes, standing water, etc I'd like it to kick in if needed during bad weather. Also when somewhere like the beach were you don't want to stall in the sand either but you make sharp turns and don't want to be in 4wd all the time.

It's one of those settings that has very little uses more of a convince factor.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
There are, but not physically engaged. Which is why I simply leave it in auto if it's raining and what not. I don't need 4wd all the time but with road conditions, pot holes, standing water, etc I'd like it to kick in if needed during bad weather. Also when somewhere like the beach were you don't want to stall in the sand either but you make sharp turns and don't want to be in 4wd all the time.

It's one of those settings that has very little uses more of a convince factor.

That's not true.

In our trucks there is 2 disconnect devices. The first is in the T-case. (as to be expected) And the other is in the front axle. Basically the system sides a disconnect on one of the front axles, and it keeps the driveshaft, and front carrier from spinning. This is why the modern trucks don't have manual front hubs that require the operator to get out, and engage.

In 4wd Auto... the front axle stays engaged, and the electronic clutch pack in the T-case is set to be ready. (sending power to the front as needed) In 2wd... the front axle, and T-case disconnects. AND, ins 4wd Lock... well... everything is physically locked.

Leaving it in "Auto" mode all the time will cause a reduction in overall mileage, since you are spinning a bunch of extra stuff. Also... the electronic clutch may prematurely wear, and/or fail/overheat since it will be constantly engaging, every time you hit a small wet patch, or gravel while accelerating.

SO.... do what you like but....

2wd = normal driving. (even off road if you don't need 4wd)

4wd Auto = changing ROAD conditions that could cause a dangerous situation. (like the beginning of a snow storm, where the roads are clear, but may get slick while driving) This isn't for off-road.

4wd Lock = This is for off-road, or where you KNOW that you need 4wd. (like a snow covered road) This has a physical connection in the T-case, and is not held in gaged with the clutch.

Again... do what you want... but there is a reason they give us the buttons, and don't just ship the trucks in a pseudo 4wd/2wd mode.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm lost as to how it's not true. But you just said the same thing. It's spinning but not engaged.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm lost as to how it's not true. But you just said the same thing. It's spinning but not engaged.
In 2wd... the front carrier and driveshaft are NOT spinning. in 4wd Auto... everything is spinning.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Spinning but not engaged. If it were engaged it would be 4wd
Yes. But spinning the parts when not needed burns more fuel, and puts wear and tare on parts that don't need it. Also... since our BW44-44 T-case is new... we don't know exactly how long the electronic clutch pack will last if you simply leave 4wd auto engaged. It will shift in and out on every little slip of the rear. Also... the other unknown, is how long it holds 4wd once the computer feels a slip. If it locks up when the roads are dry... then if you go a round a corner... that will put A LOT of pressure on the electronic clutch. (may cause it to slip and wear) If you are truly in a slick condition... then the stress on the clutch is low, since a tire will slip instead.

In a true "AWD" system... there is a differential in the T-case to allow the front and rear to run separate tracks.

In 4wd lock... the electronic clutch is bypassed, and the T-case stays locked into 4wd with a normal "Drive dog" or "Engagement sleeve."

Please, don't think that I'm trying to force anyone to do one thing or another. All I'm doing is trying to put the information out there for everyone to make an INFORMED decision.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well my F250 doesn't have auto only 2h 4h 4L and I'll leave it locked in 4h in crappy weather. Haven't needed to try any 4wd features on the ram.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts