RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than burying this on page 12 of the other post I thought you might like seeing this one. There's some good technical information here from the engineers without the B.S. commentators. This should help clear the waters about timing chains, oil pump drive belts & the life expectancy for them. There's also some answers for the manufacturer of the fuel injection system components. IMO some pretty good stuff in this one.

One of the things I'm intrigued by is the overall length of this inline six, It's short and the overall package is very compact.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
There is much good in that motor design. Open the hood and its all right there. No tearing off the body to fix the darn thing, from what I can see. Sure the belt in oil is suspect. Like Ford, a belt and a diesel have no history of success ... yet. Wait and see. With all the emissions right in the engine compartment it may be much easier to deal with. Now the heat confined in that space is another issue. To put the DPF right next to the battery wrapped in foil is questionable.

I visited a GM dealerships but a week ago. Asking about possible pricing I found out a basic one would be pushing $50K in 4 x 4. Then I found out they do not deal much, at least that dealer did not. When I left I felt much like I feel about the upcoming 2020 Ecodiesel. They are now so expensive that they are up into the market range of the 2500's. Sure the fuel mileage will be better but will the reliability and longevity be even comparable to the big boys? Then factor in that nebulous resale value and it makes you wonder about resale. With no track record of reliability and no track record of them even being able to be tuned, there's lots to think about.

Still like the design of the motor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts