RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am mystified by the fact that private companies can tune a truck’s computer to make it run more efficiently with less soot which in turn increases the longevity and still meet EPA emissions criteria. Why wouldn’t the RAM engineers do likewise? Certainly they know how to do this. My guess is they have been directed by upper management to produce a truck that makes through the warranty period (and is very conservative as to EPA emissions criteria)then after that who cares. That away they can sell more trucks.
I think that the focus of the OEM tune and most other parts is to hit a spot that satisfies the most potential customers and keeps cost inline. Upgrades are available for lots of things- suspension, sound systems, etc- that FCA could probably have created if the return on investment was there for them. I am NOT an engineer, but I suspect that it is easier to tweak almost anything to satisfy a market than it is to create that thing out of the gate. It takes enormous capital to create the original and much smaller companies can be profitable by making modifications.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
... I am NOT an engineer, but I suspect that it is easier to tweak almost anything to satisfy a market than it is to create that thing out of the gate. It takes enormous capital to create the original and much smaller companies can be profitable by making modifications.
Exactly. If small companies had to pay a portion of the initial NRE to play, they wouldn't.

Reactions: sefar

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think that the focus of the OEM tune and most other parts is to hit a spot that satisfies the most potential customers and keeps cost inline.
Here's the problem with that argument. Tuning is tuning. It doesn't cost more money to make a better tune. And why wouldn't FCA want to impress the buyer with a tune similar to the GDE tune? Who doesn't want more power? Who doesn't want better fuel economy? Also, there would be less emissions problems, fewer recalls, and warranty issues for FCA if the better (more efficient) tune was installed in the first place.

I think the OEMs might have more red tape, but I don't know. I'll ask Keith and see what he says.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Turbo lag is due to smoke limits so when you stab the throttle there is no smoke coming out of the tail pipe. When you tip in the vehicle wants to build power so more fuel is bein requested but more fuel means more smoke so the smoke limit function comes into play. It is lambda based. All these are done to meet emissions and also smoke reduction equals longer regeneration intervals

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone any knowledge on a aftermarket tuner to get the turbo to spin up a bit faster? I'm not happy with the lengthy lag when starting from a complete stop or anytime you may need an immediate "shot" to merge into traffic or get out of trouble. Looking....
Pedal commander! I just installed it. Night and day difference

21 - 26 of 26 Posts