RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

3.0L Eco Diesel Tuner?

37K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  TexasEcoDiesel 
#1 ·
Has anyone any knowledge on a aftermarket tuner to get the turbo to spin up a bit faster? I'm not happy with the lengthy lag when starting from a complete stop or anytime you may need an immediate "shot" to merge into traffic or get out of trouble. Looking....

#3 ·
I'm guessing since this is in the 3rd gen section that you are asking about a 2020 or newer EcoD. I don't believe anyone has a tune available for that yet though GDE is working on it and expecting a June 2021 release.

Reactions: navyr113
#12 ·
I am mystified by the fact that private companies can tune a truck’s computer to make it run more efficiently with less soot which in turn increases the longevity and still meet EPA emissions criteria. Why wouldn’t the RAM engineers do likewise? Certainly they know how to do this. My guess is they have been directed by upper management to produce a truck that makes through the warranty period (and is very conservative as to EPA emissions criteria)then after that who cares. That away they can sell more trucks.
Well, after all, they are in the business to sell more vehicles. Almost like making mobile phones without replaceable batteries or OS's that cant run on 2 year old hardware.

#15 ·
Well, after all, they are in the business to sell more vehicles. Almost like making mobile phones without replaceable batteries or OS's that cant run on 2 year old hardware.
Understood and agree. I am surprised that they haven’t installed an algorithm that wipes all onboard computers at the end of warranty! Maybe once they have self driving vehicles at the end of warranty period the vehicle would drive itself back to the dealership for a new one!

#14 ·
My guess is they have been directed by upper management to produce a truck that makes through the warranty period
More than likely they design and build to an aggressive budget and the cost benefit just isn't there considering the vast numbers of their customers don't even know that the tune could be better...or even what a tune is if not a melody ;)

#17 ·
#19 ·
Just look at the difference between stock and tuned, and the GDE tune still maintains the built-in safety parameters of the stock tune.

FCA Eco Diesel 3.0L V6 Performance & Fuel Economy - Green Diesel Engineering
Well this is the first time I’ve seen this extensive list of benefits for the GDE EPA COMPLIANT tune and it still begs the question why the RAM engineers don’t adopt some of this aftermarket tuning methodology to improve their product so that the customer doesn’t have to pay even more cash for what looks like a better product. RAM CARES ARE YOU OUT THERE AND PAYING ATTENTION? As Fox Mulder and Dana Scully(X-FILES) would say “RAM DENIES KNOWLEDGE”!

#24 ·
Turbo lag is due to smoke limits so when you stab the throttle there is no smoke coming out of the tail pipe. When you tip in the vehicle wants to build power so more fuel is bein requested but more fuel means more smoke so the smoke limit function comes into play. It is lambda based. All these are done to meet emissions and also smoke reduction equals longer regeneration intervals

#28 ·
Celtic tuning has a deleted tune available for the Generation 3 EcoDiesel.
EcoDiesel Owners Canada also has a tune available.

I'm holding out for the GDE EPA Compliant Tune.

#34 ·
What about HD Diesel supply in Canada? They are working on a tune also. Hand held device. Anyone have experience with those guys? How would that compare with sending the ECU off to tune. I realize GDE is the primo, or used to be anyways, but I want a full delete.

#36 ·
I have the GDE EPA Complaint Tune in my 2015. I haven't had any problems with it. The tune made a tremendous improvement in overall drivability. I'm looking forward to the GDE tune for the 2020+ trucks.

#40 ·
Yep, GDE is releasing their tunes by Halloween. Last week they were in the Rocky Mountains doing a final test run at altitude before releasing it to the public. That's what I like about GDE, they TEST everything thoroughly before selling it.

EOC already has tunes available, and starting this month they are offering to buy their tune on a pre-flashed ECU which is SUPER handy! That means you can keep your stock ECU for dealer visits or if issues arise. Very nice option!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.