RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a Ram Eco Diesel. The one I like is a Laramie 4x4 but it has 3.21 gears and a conventional Differential? is this a deal breaker?
The main reason Im looking is I just purchased a Camper and my Nissan Titan tows it very good except the range is very bad.
Ive looked at others and they have 3.92 gears with limited slip or locking differentials, but not the other options I would like>

Thanks for you inputs, Jim

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
When spending this amount of money, I would shop until you find the truck that fits your needs.. 3:21 gears are highway/ higher mpg gears ...

Your trailer is only 5500 lbs, what happens when you eventually hit a bad nose wind ? Or decide to purchase a slightly larger camper?

Unless it’s a smoking deal , I would shop ....

Welcome to the forum!!!!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Haven't heard of anyone having 3:21 gears and towing with them. (or even having them in a EcoD) So I'm guessing that it's a 2020 with a new diff. I think that I read that the 3:55 is no longer an option.
All of the towing threads have been with the 3:55 ( what I have) or 3:92. My truck tows fine with 3:55's and a tt that's close to 8k but I don't think that going down to 3:21's would be good option. Towing up and down grades, headwinds, larger loads ect, could be difficult.
The 3:92's would definitely be better.

PS welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also something to keep in mind with the RAM Monroney Window Stickers....

If you see multiple mentioning of the gearing...the one with a $$$amount next to it will be the gear set actually in the truck.

Snippet from my window sticker....I have 3.92 gears but literally every other build option is also listed to confuse you :cool:

·
Registered
725 Posts
From my dad's experience ..... many years ago he towed a 24' trailer to and from Florida for several years (this was early-mid 1980's). He towed with a 2wd GMC, that had 2.73 gears and a 5.7L diesel. He said that he'd have trouble on some hills, but he applied the philosophy that he was on holidays for a couple of months and an extra day to get there or back wasn't a big deal.

So, my opinion .... it's a long way from ideal, but it can be done. You can do better.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
I am looking to purchase a Ram Eco Diesel. The one I like is a Laramie 4x4 but it has 3.21 gears and a conventional Differential? is this a deal breaker?
The main reason Im looking is I just purchased a Camper and my Nissan Titan tows it very good except the range is very bad.
Ive looked at others and they have 3.92 gears with limited slip or locking differentials, but not the other options I would like>

Thanks for you inputs, Jim
Welcome to the forum - first post.

You talking about a Gen 3 (2020) Ecodiesel, which is the forum you posted under or an earlier Gen 2 ( 2014-2019) model?

Reason I asked is near all of the 2020 Gen 3's have a 3:92 rear end ratio. There have been literally a handful with the 3:55 but think they were early or pre-production models. Now the earlier Ecodiesels could be either 3:55 or 3:92 gear ration ones. There were NO 3:21 Ecodiesels ever made or sold to the public.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Welcome to the forum - first post.

You talking about a Gen 3 (2020) Ecodiesel, which is the forum you posted under or an earlier Gen 2 ( 2014-2019) model?

Reason I asked is near all of the 2020 Gen 3's have a 3:92 rear end ratio. There have been literally a handful with the 3:55 but think they were early or pre-production models. Now the earlier Ecodiesels could be either 3:55 or 3:92 gear ration ones. There were NO 3:21 Ecodiesels ever made or sold to the public.
Cap,

We have several posters to this forum that have the 3.21 rear end in the new 2020 Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
It is a 2020 1500 eco diesel with 3.21
Thanks for the inputs!
It seems to me the biggest issue is what is your typical towing trip likely to be. Long distances, high speeds in a hurry and regularly up and down mountains or shorter distances, mostly level ground, happy to go at 55 or 60 and one trip year. Also what is your personality easy going/laid back or a hard charging type A? Personality may have the biggest impact on how satisfied you will be. You can clearly do it and make it work. Also how will the truck be used between towing. FOr empty truck using the 3.21 is likely to be more economical for you. The 8 speed transmission has small steps between the top few gears and so shifting up and down isn't a big issue.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
That's a lot of coin to not get exactly what you want. Have you considered ordering a truck?

I had to order my Laramie to get exactly what I wanted. The combo of a few options that were must-haves for me was nearly impossible to find. Good choice on the Delmonico Red.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The 8 speed will downshift if he encounters wind. The only time the diff gearing really affects things is when starting out, once on highway cruising, you will have higher rpms in 8th, so it may not shift to 7th as much with a 3.92, but if you have a 3.21, the transmission has plenty of gears to compensate at high speeds. So to me, this would be a non issue unless I was towing a lot in the city.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Cap,

We have several posters to this forum that have the 3.21 rear end in the new 2020 Ecodiesel.
...and none have posted an rpm picture at speed to prove it.

One guy did post one that did look like a 3:55. Many with those stickers showing only the 3:21 figured it was a mistake and the sticker did not have the final gear ration market by omission. All 1500 stickers say 3:21 at the start. Then most, with some deletions, later add the correct final ratio on the product.

That is my understanding and waiting for proof to show otherwise.

Run that truck at 2000 rpm. If it is going 80 mph, it is 3:55. Way over 80 mph would be 3:21. 3:92 would be in the lower to mid-70's.
hMoZIMkZRuyaOTNJUhMdZg by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
The 8 speed will downshift if he encounters wind. The only time the diff gearing really affects things is when starting out, once on highway cruising, you will have higher rpms in 8th, so it may not shift to 7th as much with a 3.92, but if you have a 3.21, the transmission has plenty of gears to compensate at high speeds. So to me, this would be a non issue unless I was towing a lot in the city.
This is my take on axle ratio differences as well. The 8spd trans makes up for the slight, I mean SLIGHT, differences in rear axle ratio. 1st and reverse would be the most noticeable difference between the two.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have towed quite a bit with a hemi Ram and the 3:21's. The 8 speed does a good job selecting the right gear to keep it in the power band. I'm with Bounty Hunter, think it will be fine for towing. The ZF 8 speed does a great job.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I was shopping Gen 3s last month, 98% of them had the 3.21 ratio.

I specifically wanted the 3.92 ratio so I hunted until I found one. Now, I'm not so sure that was a great idea. My MPGs haven't been what the window sticker indicated, and guys with 3.21s are claiming BETTER than window sticker numbers.

The EcoDiesel makes 480 lbs/ft @ 1,600 RPM. This is not a gas engine. You have to readjust your thinking is what I've learned. Because of the 8-speed trans, the RPMs will be EXACTLY THE SAME at almost every speed. As somebody mentioned, the only benefit to the 3.92 is starting off in 1st gear from a dead stop.

The 3.92 equipped trucks do have a higher towing rating... around 2,000 lbs. more I think. But, if you are towing only 5,500 lbs. then I'd go with the 3.21! The added bonus will be that when NOT towing you'll see slightly better fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have 3:55 great for Florida however even the slight hills by Tallahassee she downshift to 7th running 75-80 UNLOADED, For the very slight difference in MPG next time I will go with 3.92...gives much more flexible options weight wise.

I have pulled an 8x24 cargo 7,500lbs and running Tow/Haul mode she easily held 7th on same hills never searching for 6th.

IMO 3.21 not a good idea however I have yet to drive a more powerful 2020 with the beefier re-tuned transmission.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
Still looking for someone with a Gen 3 to post their speed at 2,000 rpm. Guessing if a 3:21 exists that would be darn close to 90 mph. Maybe that's why none show it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Still looking for someone with a Gen 3 to post their speed at 2,000 rpm. Guessing if a 3:21 exists that would be darn close to 90 mph. Maybe that's why none show it?
I have to go 86mph to hit 2k rpms with my 3.55 and 35" tires. At 70 mph my RPMs are right around 1550. which is why I can still get decent gas mileage on the highway when I'm going 70mph.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
I have to go 86mph to 2k rpms with my 3.55 and 35" tires. At 70 mph my RPMs are right around 1550. which is why I can still get decent gas mileage on the highway when I'm going 70mph.
That is fair "flying" down the road. Those big tires sure make a major gear ratio change IF the speedometer is corrected for those tires. Guessing it is.
Still want to see a stock Gen 3 at 2,000 rpm, especially one saying they have a 3:21 final ratio.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That is fair "flying" down the road. Those big tires sure make a major gear ratio change IF the speedometer is corrected for those tires. Guessing it is.
Still want to see a stock Gen 3 at 2,000 rpm, especially one saying they have a 3:21 final ratio.
Yep, I corrected the tires size using alfaOBD.

I'm also really curious how the 2020 does with the 3.21....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts