RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone consider the 3.6L Pentastar before buying the ED? I'm probably going to order an ED in August/September, but some of the deals I have seen on the 3.6 Pentastar gas trucks has me thinking I can buy a lot of fuel for the $10k difference. Tell me why I Pentastar is just crazy talk and I "need" the ED. ha ha.

Thanks

·
Registered
317 Posts
I thought about it for maybe 2 minutes, then decided I might need a little more torque for towing my junk around. Not to mention, if this 3.0L holds up as advertised that diesel will probably outlast the 3.6L and resale should be higher.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I considered it. In fact the 3.6 is all I really need since I don't tow anything. But I just wanted something with the best fuel mileage and even though I will probably never make up the cost difference, I'm happy with my ecodiesel. I didn't need it. Just WANTED it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought mine for towing and fuel economy. The penstar is a good engine (my wife has one in her 2013 Durango). However, the Eco Diesel outperforms the Penstar everywhere except on the drag strip. If I needed more tow capacity i would have bought the 2500 with the cummins. I also needed a daily driver and the ED beats both the Penstar and Cummins hands down concerning fuel economy. I typically drive a truck for 10 years or better and a diesel will pay for itself in the long run.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
pretty much what every post has stated. yes i looked at the Penstar, along with the Hemi and even the F150 Ecoboost - in the end:

- i wanted a diesel and after my last truck said never again a full size gas engine truck. ever.
- mileage is still pretty strongly in favor of the ED, especially on the highway
- when you need it to tow, you'll be so far ahead of the Penstar or any V6 and most V8's in mileage
- it sounds awesome when i start it and i smile every dang time - can't put a price on that.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Did anyone consider the 3.6L Pentastar before buying the ED? I'm probably going to order an ED in August/September, but some of the deals I have seen on the 3.6 Pentastar gas trucks has me thinking I can buy a lot of fuel for the $10k difference. Tell me why I Pentastar is just crazy talk and I "need" the ED. ha ha.

Thanks
I traded in my '13 pentastar 1500 after 24k miles of flawless driving. It is more than capable as a truck, unless you're going to tow anything of size. I didn't NEED the ecodiesel but I wanted it and it is definitely a much nicer power plant to drive. Not any louder, and even more refined. Drive them both, they're both excellent choices. The ecodiesel gets about 5 mpg better average for me. I got 23 mpg average with the 3.6, the diesel averages 27-28 for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm still on the fence with this decision. Like many others I don't think I really need a diesel, I just want it. I don't to much, just a small utility trailer occasionally but getting a travel trailer someday is a likely possibility. Maybe I'm telling myself that so I can justify the diesel:eek:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Thanks

Absolutely NOT !

I'm sure the Pentastar is a nice little engine, if you are the kind of person who likes a truck as their "Daily Driver". But, I have a truck because I tow, and I don't want to be limited. (but don't need a 2500) The gas V6 doesn't put down the torque needed to pull anything of size... and the transmission behind it is light duty, and would be more prone to failure if pushed to it's limit. It's the same problem that a V6 truck has always had.

If the ED didn't come out... I would have stuck with my 4.7L Ram. It had good MPG's, and still towed well. But the ED tows even better than the small Gas V8.

BUT.... how do you figure a "$10k difference" ???????? From the Pentistar, it's only a $4500 upgrade. ($4k for the engine, and $500 for the trans) and it's only a $2850 upgrade from the Hemi.

And finally... I HATE the $$$ debate. You can NOT compare the Pentistar to the EcoDiesel. They are a different class of truck. It has a heavier trans, and puts down a significant torque increase. And, for most of us... it's an $8k SAVINGS since we didn't go out and buy a Cummins. SO EITHER...

1) You want a Diesel, but don't want to pay the extra for a 2500 Cummins

OR

2) You need to tow upwards of 8,000 Lbs

Buy the ED, and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Oh.... one more note....

I just got 19.2 MPG towing this on a 120 mi trip, up and over some UGLY hills. I'm sure the Pentastar would have been down to a crawl on some of the bigger hills... but the ED just chugged up, and maintained 55~60 mpg without needing full throttle.

Reactions: DataRider

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I traded in my '13 pentastar 1500 after 24k miles of flawless driving. It is more than capable as a truck, unless you're going to tow anything of size. I didn't NEED the ecodiesel but I wanted it and it is definitely a much nicer power plant to drive. Not any louder, and even more refined. Drive them both, they're both excellent choices. The ecodiesel gets about 5 mpg better average for me. I got 23 mpg average with the 3.6, the diesel averages 27-28 for me.
What the config of your truck? That's impressive mileage

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There were several threads on the Pentastar months ago while we were wondering when the diesel would ever go into production. A couple of early forum members got one when they couldn't wait any longer; they seemed happy with the choice and reported that it had no problem towing moderate loads although MPGs dropped into the mid teens. Here is one discussion: http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/160-v6-gas-vs-diesel.html

Although the Pentastar is a nice engine that works well with the 8-speed transmission, to me its seems like a mismatch for a truck of this size. It fills only a fraction of the engine bay as shown in the great photo below from Car and Driver.

2013-ram-1500-slt-and-the-author-photo-494522-s-520x318.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
My Jeep has a Pentastar; it gets around 18.x MPG, 15 towing a 2K trailer. That 3.6 in a Ram with higher gears (3.21, 3.55, Jeep has 4.10s) and the 8-speed transmission would probably be a very sensible combination for many driving scenarios, however I already have that engine and want something else in the truck with more capability.

Granted the diesel’s DPF/DEF system makes me nervous, I feel like the Pentastar could be a less troublesome platform and cheaper to fix, even though some early Pentastar’s in the Jeeps had head issues.
The higher end Rams with the 3.6 sure aren’t cheap, so I’ll go with a less expensive trim like the Outdoorsman with a quad cab, as the crew cab adds to the cost too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know what the deals are on the Penstar, but I located an Eco Diesel in MA with a list of $59,105, and after rebates and dealer discount I bought it for $49,450. Not sure i can buy one cheaper than that. I'm getting 24-29 mpg depending on city or highway. Thats a good savings over my 10-12 mpg Ram 2500.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I don't know what the deals are on the Penstar, but I located an Eco Diesel in MA with a list of $59,105, and after rebates and dealer discount I bought it for $49,450. Not sure i can buy one cheaper than that. I'm getting 24-29 mpg depending on city or highway. Thats a good savings over my 10-12 mpg Ram 2500.
I'd imagine there are more incentives on the pentastar just like the hemi. Curiously enough I never saw that many other pentastar rams in my area, even with the truck of the year win. After owning two pentastars I have to say they're a very capable engine... Game changer as far as 6 cylinders go in half tons... Part of it due to the transmission

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I did consider the the gas engine but couldn't get the V6 in the longhorn package which was imperative to me for the interior so got the Ecodiesel. So far love it. Mileage is above EPA according to the computer. Will check with manual calcs in the next 400 or so miles when I fuel up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I put 19K miles on a Pentastar in a 2012 Challenger. I traded that car in on my Eco Diesel. I just sold my 2007 F-150 FX2 to Carmax Saturday. I had no issues with the V-6 Chally in the 2.5 years of ownership but I (my opinion) would not want that motor in a full size truck. Yes it would do just fine for normal 2WD commuting and such, but I wanted the extra power for 4x4 and the better gas mileage so I got both in 1 vehicle now. I use my truck primarily for hauling dirt bikes and driving to work when not riding my street bike, so the V-6 would have been fine, but I was really impressed with the Eco Dee when I test drove it and got hooked.

Regarding prices, they are hard to find now, until the 15's show up, but with the 14 incentives (which expire today!) I used USAA car buying services and it took me a week with 5 dealers to get what I wanted. I am glad I was patient.:eek:
2014 Crew Cab, 4x4, Eco Dee, Big Horn with 3.55, 5.7 box, 8N audio group, 8SPD Auto, block heater, tow group, premium buckets, parking assist front/rear w/camera. It MSRP'd for 47 and change. With the USAA discount, Dodge Incentives, Chrysler financing 500$ discount (who matched my CU 1.9%), I got the truck for 38,400. That doesn't include taxes and options I added like spray in bedliner and undercoating, 6yr 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty (100 deduce) and 6yr UNLIMITED mile oil changes and tire rotations brought me up to 42,300. The 6yr 100K extended warranty covers everything (except tires) that the 5 yr/100K power train doesn't, I like that 100$ deduce is the most I will pay.

I was refunded 1400 bucks back from my Challenger extended warranty and applied that as my down payment.

I am pretty happy with this purchase. I get better mileage driving to and from work then I did with my Challenger and I can still haul bikes, but now only have 1 insurance cost vice 2 and I don't have to keep up 2 registrations and such. I mean I bought the Challenger to get better mileage commuting to work and kept the Ford 5.4L V-8 so I could haul bikes and have a truck for general use when needed. This Eco Dee has made my life easier!

I highly recommend using Credit Union buying services, especially USAA or NCFU is you have them. Gets you a good deal without any haggling. I think Dodge will sell quite a few of these in 15!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I highly recommend using Credit Union buying services, especially USAA or NCFU is you have them. Gets you a good deal without any haggling. I think Dodge will sell quite a few of these in 15!
Does USAA buying service get any more off than invoice? I was told that they usually will only go down to invoice which many dealerships already do. If you found more advantage I'd like to know what you found. Thanks!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I ordered mine in march when rebates & dealer discounts were about the same on all drive trains. Received a hard negotiated $11,250 discount from msrp. Today the same dealer is offering $10,500 discount on gas crew cabs & only $6500 on the ed. Coupled with $4000 option charge the difference in the 2 engines is significant; can't imagine any circumstance the premium would be financially justifiable. While I'm totally happy with my purchase, I don't think I would opt for the ed in today's market. My son really wanted a new ram diesel but bought an ecoboost because of price.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Remember in the used market, the diesel will command a massive premium over a v6 gas engine. I recall seeing similar situations on German SUV diesels vs the v6 lower v6 gas engine option. I was shopping for the diesel but frustrated that the used diesel commanded a $7-10k used price premium. You may get $10k is special end if year incentives, but remember that dollar-for-dollar hurts the v6 gas engine resales residual values down the road. These Eco diesels will easily pay for themselves in retained resales value, allowing the fuel savings to be your profit gained. If on the fence, go diesel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts