RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Playing on the builder options. look like only 3.92 rear gear is the choice. interesting when you would think 3.21 or 3.55 would net more mpg.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
in another thread we learned that in the new models one of the transmission changes was to make 8th more of an overdrive. That seems likely to me to have some bearing on the dropping of the 3.55.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
It's not just mathematical , 3.21 would need more torque ,
pedal your bicycle in the long gear and see if it is only mathematical ,
to turn less bicycle crankset , to get that wheel turning .:oops:o_O
----------------
in the 70's it was easy to play with gearing trying to reach speeds in excess of 150MPH ,
but it is not just gearing , so much more involved , max speeds could not be changed
by much , very minimal , a lot of horsepowers needed for little gain .
-----------------
I believe 7th and 8th gear are both overdrives ( 6th == 1 to 1 ) ,
3.92 will do fine on economy .
==================================
“Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second.”
-Bobby Unser
“Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”
-Colin Mcrae
“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines.”
-Enzo Ferrari
;)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Enzo no Respect , gets a phone call telling him one of his drivers killed himself in
testing , he askes " what about La machina ? " ...

·
Super Moderator
3,146 Posts
Kaz the hot rodder still lives in a few of us who remember the 70s. Picked up a new 2019 M8 powered H-D Sport Glide softail. Only a cruiser but it still has to run good right? Well mine does. 6th gear is 1 to 1 with a final drive ratio of 2.79! :( And no overdrive. lol my 83 Honda V65 had a 6 speed and an overdrive gear. H-D might be slightly behind the technology curve. Nothing available aftermarket gearing wise yet either. :mad: Aside from a whole aftermarket overdrive thats expensive and not that helpful. Belt drives are also pretty unique to H-D.

Had to rummage through H-Ds parts bins and come up with a 30 tooth sprocket from one of their new M8 powered trikes (my SG came with a 32 tooth) then have it milled down (its cast) :rolleyes: to the same thickness as the sprocket that came out of my bike. Different transmission covers. Then pick up a 70 tooth pulley to replace the factory 66 tooth pulley all just to get to a 3.15 final drive ratio. Very noticeable improvement in acceleration along with better 80 mph cruising and a better fit for the new cam I had slid in. Same fuel consumption and the grossly theoretical 170 mph top speed came down to a realistic 150 mph sans the 120 mph governor. At first I was put off by it as I never owned a (nostalgic and iconic) Harley before. But then it became an adventure that took me back to hot rodding 60s to 80s cars.:D :geek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a 4WD ED 2020 with a 3:21 ratio.
Posted the window sticker on a couple of the other threads here.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
found your other post Pappy , and your vin is at the bottom , so I went to that site :
to see your window sticker , nothing else but 3.21 found on your sticker as you say .

---------------------------------

in the future if you ever wonder if you have outstanding recals , this other site :

:giggle:

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
ratio is there in the left column half way through the 'functional/safety' column as a standard feature not a paid for option as I read it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only Ram Ecodiesel with the 3.92 is the Rebel. The rest use 3.21s. Not sure how they both magically get 29mpg highway...

·
Registered
733 Posts
The only Ram Ecodiesel with the 3.92 is the Rebel. The rest use 3.21s. Not sure how they both magically get 29mpg highway...
I believe 3.21 shows as standard but Ecodiesel option forces you to paying for 3.92. I certainly have it on my Bighorn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I built mine with the dealer and there was no option for gearing other than 3.92. They even called in to Ram and were told you can only order the ED with 3.92.

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
I own a 4WD ED 2020 with a 3:21 ratio.
Posted the window sticker on a couple of the other threads here.
Pappy are you ever going to post a picture of your engine RPM at speed? Need to see that rpm and the speedometer in the same picture in 8th gear to figure things out about the rear end ratio. Try 60 or 70 mph.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm in the process of ordering a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (Longhorn trim). 3.21 gears now come standard. There is a $95 dollar charge for 3.55 and 3.92 gears.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts