RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've watched quite a few reviews of the RAM 1500 ED performance and I have seen quite a big difference in performance.

0-60
3.55: 10+ seconds
3.92: 7.75 seconds Review: 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel (With Video) | The Truth About Cars

I am thinking I want to get the 3.92 but when I configure it on the website it's not available in the Tradesman Cab!?!?

What does everyone think? I'm willing to take a hit of 1mpg for that significant performance boost!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I think your data may be a little skewed. I've see reports of the 3.55's doing mid 8's. (haven't tried it myself)

·
Registered
362 Posts
There could be a restriction on 3.92 gears, getting to the end of the model year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
That was an article done months before the first of the Ecodiesels were sold to the public. Probably valid. Just not based on actual production vehicles.

3.92 is good for towing if you kind of ignore the max towing capacity. Within towing capacity the 3.55's seem to work fine when coupled with the transmission. Now if you want to make this truck into some kind of drag racer, get the 3.92's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
is one example.

The 10 second # I quoted is from reviews from magazines and other car sites (like this one).

I also test drove a 1500 ED this past Sunday and I can attest that while it's peppy I was a little disappointed it wasn't a little more lively given its 420 lbs of torque. But then I am seeing people say it's 0-60 in the high 7's and lows 8's so I figured there must be a difference. I have seen several other people say it has to do with the 3.92 rear end.

And no- I am not looking to make my truck into a drag racer. It's fun to have a fast truck but it's also a safety issue on merging with traffic and just being able to get out of your own way when necessary. There's a HUGE difference between 7.75 seconds and 10 seconds to 60 mph. I just want to be able to make an informed decision. I think the 3.92 is also more valuable at resale time because you can tow more with it.

I have even read reports that the 3.92 might actually SAVE you fuel because 8th gear is more likely to kick in and overall that will save you more money on fuel than if you were still stuck in 7th gear.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
so the ED you drove had which? 3.55 or 3.92 - i'll be honest, i ordered mine with 3.92 because it just seemed like a simple upgrade with almost no negative mpg (see my other post on the gear ratio discussion and its NON-impact to mpg). i have held fast on not going on any test drive because nobody here (meaning local dealers by me) has anything but the 3.55 and i don't want to form a biased opinion. i've watched the videos as well and its a little frustrating that the press fleet dodge made available is the 3.55 laramie or long horn trim. you'd think by now someone would have made a point to put a 3.92 ecodiesel through some tow, acceleration, climb, off road testing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just got my Ram Laramie last Thursday had originally ordered 3.55 then changed order 4 weeks later they had to call the factory to change it and love the truck

·
Registered
738 Posts
"I have even read reports that the 3.92 might actually SAVE you fuel because 8th gear is more likely to kick in and overall that will save you more money on fuel than if you were still stuck in 7th gear."

Absolutely not true. I've watched the gearing on mine, and on most roads the truck has NO issues staining in 8th gear.(with my puny 3.55 read end)

And really? " It's fun to have a fast truck but it's also a safety issue on merging with traffic and just being able to get out of your own way when necessary."

You really think the rear end is going to make this huge of a difference in merging with traffic when you're rocking an 8 speed tranny and it's a safety issue? My son has a 2012 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. He drove my diesel all weekend. His final conclusion? "It's a lot closer to the hemi than I realized. This truck WILL move when needed." BTW, I drove his Hemi all weekend. The biggest difference?????? 13.7 MPG in the EVIC.

Some of these "analysis" being done are just plain nuts. Go put a coffee can on the exhaust and you'll gain 2 seconds in the quarter. Paint it silver and then paint a red R/S on the coffee can, and you'll pick up another second.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh boy, this is getting as bad as an oil change thread. Wait until people start doing gear swaps, or guys will meet up with their truck for a weekend of “let’s trade differentials” :p. 3.73’s would be the way to go! ;)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lol!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Black makes the truck the fastest for sure, it slims the truck down I heard that will shave 3tenths off your time alone..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some of these "analysis" being done are just plain nuts. Go put a coffee can on the exhaust and you'll gain 2 seconds in the quarter. Paint it silver and then paint a red R/S on the coffee can, and you'll pick up another second.
Plain nuts? Do a quick search of the web on the 3.55 vs 3.92 topic and you'll see there's plenty of discussion (and most conclude the 3.92 is the way to go). If I'm going to drop $40k+ on a truck I'm going to make sure I get what I want. Maybe you were too lazy to do the research or just didn't know any better and just accepted the standard 3.55 but there are lots of us who care. 3.92 = greater towing, better acceleration, higher resale value and possibly even negligible fuel economy loss.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Plain nuts? Do a quick search of the web on the 3.55 vs 3.92 topic and you'll see there's plenty of discussion (and most conclude the 3.92 is the way to go). If I'm going to drop $40k+ on a truck I'm going to make sure I get what I want. Maybe you were too lazy to do the research or just didn't know any better and just accepted the standard 3.55 but there are lots of us who care. 3.92 = greater towing, better acceleration, higher resale value and possibly even negligible fuel economy loss.
Really? I believe I DID do my research and am happy with what I purchased. And I also spent well over $40K, and I got exactly what I want. I just love you guys that, because I don't fall in line with "what all the other posts say," means I'm lazy or uninformed. Maybe I should take advice from the other forum where the guy says he test drive a 1500 diesel, claims he did 105MPH in it, and didn't buy that truck. I know that's the kind of folks I want to get guidance from.

Unless I know you, which is unlikely given your joe12pack moniker, it's highly unlikely you know me, what experiences I have, etc. You want a 3.92, buy it. I really don't care. What's nuts are the comments about safety in merging, acceleration, etc. Apparently you were too lazy or too obtuse to catch that. BTW - The guys with the stripped down diesel 1500 trucks will blow the doors off of my 6000 pound crew cab 4x4 that's loaded with extras. Who really cares? Go have another 12 pack, get your panties out of a knot, and come back with something that is intellectually stimulating.

And put the coffee can on your exhaust, it really works, especially with the red R/S.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Who really cares? Go have another 12 pack, get your panties out of a knot, and come back with something that is intellectually stimulating.

And put the coffee can on your exhaust, it really works, especially with the red R/S.
Who really cares about potentially shaving off 2 seconds in a 0-60 benchmark for merely a $50 upgrade? You are obviously not a "car guy" which is fine. Some of us like performance and some of us are strapping on a Depends undergarment.

And thanks for adding in your sage advice about the painted coffee can. I can tell you are quite the intellectual.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Actually, in my experience with a turbocharged 1970 Dodge slant 6.....I know, I know..it's a gasser but it went faster down the track et and mph when I went from a 3.23 to a 2.94 to a 2.76. Turbocharged engines like load and a 3.55 does that. BTW the /6 goes 11.02 @ 120 mph with a 2.76 gear in the 8.75" rear and a 3500# race weight.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Ecodiesel with 3.55 ratio. I absolutely love this truck but maybe I should have opted for the 3.92 ratio.
On my vacation through 5300 miles of trailer towing, my fuel mileage average was 13.4 mpg.
We are talking about a 4700 lb travel trailer. Most of the running was at 70 to 75 mph on the Interstates and 60 to 65 on side roads.
Fill-ups varied from 10 mpg in the mountains (With strong headwinds) to 16 mpg with tailwinds at 75 mph.
The ONLY times I saw 8th gear activated, was on slightly downhill or strong tailwinds
The main reason for running mainly in 7th gear, is the awful wind resistance on a trailer that's about 10 feet high.
I actually wonder if the 3.92 ratio would have helped to keep the transmission in 8th gear.
Without the trailer attached, driving through Yellowsstone and the Grand Tetons at an average of 50 to 60 mph, this amazing truck averaged 28mpg.
I would be willing to give up one or two mpg without the trailer, to gain maybe that much when towing..

Any comments will be appreciated.
Gunner-j

·
Super Moderator
3,720 Posts
Having driven & towed with both you won't be disappointed either way. That said I ordered mine with 3.92 because I planned to do a lot of towing & I was willing to accept a small mileage hit for the added acceleration & tow mmm experience as well as legal capacity. To do over I would opt for the 3.92 again. You should be able to get a Tradesman with a 3.92 as I have seen one. Have your dealer see what he can get because the build & price isn't always the final say so to speak.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts