RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did the delete on my 2014 no longer need the def tank. was wondering if anyone has tried putting the 32 gal fuel tank under there eco diesel.

·
Super Moderator
3,863 Posts
Im sure it would fit and diesel doesn't expand as much as gasoline so there isn't an issue with expansion room.
There is also the Titan 39 gallon fuel tank but it is for Crew Cabs w/6.4' bed though

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Will the lift pumps interchange between the gasser and the diesel? I would think there are some physical differences that would prevent adapting the 32gal for diesel use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was hoping to use the pump and fittings from the old tank but have not compared the two. found a salvage yard with a 32 that's out of the truck so I can do some measuring . hope to take a look at it this week. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Been a few years but someone tried to just use the DEF tank for diesel. They played with a connection down low between the tanks so the fuel would naturally just flow between them. That left the fuel pump in the main tank untouched to work as normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought of that but was afraid it would be hard to get the def tank cleaned out completely and it is very corrosive.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I thought of that but was afraid it would be hard to get the def tank cleaned out completely and it is very corrosive.
Take that def tank out. Flush it good with water and let her dry. Ready for use.. Just need something solid to connect the two tanks at the bottom.. Should be good to go.. I will do this once the warranty is up and truck is fully deleted.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Take that def tank out. Flush it good with water and let her dry. Ready for use.. Just need something solid to connect the two tanks at the bottom.. Should be good to go.. I will do this once the warranty is up and truck is fully deleted.
Think you'll be able to tap and connect two plastic tanks with no leaks?

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Do remember that as an issue. Don't remember the solution Think I have an idea for the OP.

Rather than cutting into and cutting a low tap or drain in the main tank, use a simple electric transfer pump. On the main tank a simple tap into the fuel filler (RDS offers one) and the pump mounted there and switched with a simple toggle in the cab. Then just run a line from the pump into the top filler of the DEF tank. When the fuel level drops a bit in the main tank, turn on that transfer pump and pump the fuel from the DEF tank out into the main one. I have pressure pumps in my boat that I use for fresh water to the sinks. They are quite cheap, self-prime and also auto shut off.

Bet it would work and probably cost less than $100. My RDS extra bed fuel tank was about $200 and more for the fuel transfer valve into the main tank filler tube. Of course that's 20 gallons in size and there are larger. The extra 8 gallons the DEF tank overs would sure be nice if accessed inexpensively.

·
Super Moderator
3,863 Posts
do you know if the fuel pump is positioned in the same place on both tanks
I would have to take an educated guess and say yes the fuel pump mounting location will be the same between the 16 & 32 gallon tanks. If they weren't, there would have to be entirely different fuel and vent lines for each tank and truck configuration. That's not very cost effective for mass production.
Check the mounting of the fuel pump assembly and there may be an extra sensor port and/or vent lines on the tank being it's for gas.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Dont know yet. Better of to start tapping into def tank first and see how it goes. I will post my findings once the warranty period expires and whole def/dpf/egr ends up in scrap. Can't wait.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Im pretty happy with the 700 plus mile range I have already. If I need to go more than that ill just put the appropriate number of 5 gallon cans in the bed.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If I had an extra 8 gallons of fuel and the corresponding range, I'd have to invest in adult diapers for the wife. There's no way she'd let me cruise for another ~200 miles without a bio break.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well I found a 32 gal tank from a 2014 gas 1500 at a salvage yard for $150.00 part no. p68197671ab this tank was only used in the 2014-15 then was discontinued. was happy to find that the pump placement and mounting straps are the same position. the tank is also the same depth so the fuel gauge seems to be close to right. I remover the carbon canister from the gas tank for more room for the vent and fuel lines. the filler hose on the gas tank was smaller but they had left the hose on the tank and I cut it off just above the filler pipe and the original diesel fill hose slid over it snug and the clamp tighten up well. I also had to splice the vent hose that runs between the two vents on the tank, did this by using the original hose from the diesel tank and splicing it to the one on the gas tank with 5/16 fuel hose. the larger vent hose for filling the tank lined up and I used a hose clamp to fasten it. the rear vent on the gas tank had one extra vent on it pointing to the drivers side frame rail was not sure what it did so I plugged it this was a mistake with this vent plugged the tank would not fill at all and kept shooting back out the top. after I unplugged the vent and ran a 5/16 hose up by the filler neck and stuck a inline fuel filter on it to keep the dust out the tank fills fine, if you can I would suggest removing the box, easy to do and a lot nicer to work on. my truck has over 100,000 miles on so I replaced the shock while the box was off takes about ten minutes.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
The 26 gallon tanks for the ECO and Gas are different part numbers. Not sure why. Will the 32 fit on a deleted truck? Well, you can be a guinea pig.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts