1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
279 Posts
Strong numbers. Personally I think it is smarter for the 1/2 ton segment to chase as good a fuel mileage as they can and let max towing go by the way side. I don't buy a 1/2 ton diesel to tow 12,000 lbs, I bought it to get as close to double the fuel mileage of a gasser as I could.
I need to tow at least 7k but otherwise I agree

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Agreed I sometimes wish they (FCA, GM, Ford) would cap the 1/2 ton platform at 10k or 9k for a TT/TH as in regular 1/2 tons are practically speaking capped out at other ratings such as axles & receiver at that point anyway. 33 is impressive. I suspect Ram will match it. Tuned a few guys with 3.55s pull that off. I heard they will be locked down like their 6.6 diesel and not be tunable. No GDE would be a bummer.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Impressive numbers indeed. We now need to see some real world numbers. One of the impressive things about the Ecodiesel highway rating is that many people actually achieved it and even a bit better. That is often not the case with the EPA numbers.

I would also like to see drag coefficient numbers and frontal area. The GM trucks have always been lower and narrower than the Ram or Ford giving them less wind resistance. I am not sure if that is the case nowadays or not.

I also support the concept that the half ton truck shouldn't try and equal and be a giant hauler and tower. For most of their sales a modest rating is perfect.

It will be an interesting competition.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Agreed I sometimes wish they (FCA, GM, Ford) would cap the 1/2 ton platform at 10k or 9k for a TT/TH as in regular 1/2 tons are practically speaking capped out at other ratings such as axles & receiver at that point anyway. 33 is impressive. I suspect Ram will match it. Tuned a few guys with 3.55s pull that off. I heard they will be locked down like their 6.6 diesel and not be tunable. No GDE would be a bummer.
Doesn't GDE have a tune for the 2.8 Duramax? Maybe they will figure it out in time?

Honestly I would be more hopeful that its got good enough power and economy and that GM's post DPF approach to egr will keep the engine clean enough that the tune isn't that big a deal.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
There is no such thing as a non-tunable ECU. there is a saying in the IT world - if you have physical access, you control it. period.

GM can do all they want to lock that ECU. crack the case open, and voila - its tunable. people are just going to have to cough up more cash for an ECU replacement thats tuned.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
MMM....About as good as my 4 x 4 Ecodiesel running over 100 miles today. I "only" showed 32.1 mpg on a run to fuel up from my trip, out to the range and back today. This was a run without trailer on open and mostly rural roads. Of course I should not be as good as that two-wheel drive future GM, though I am tuned with GDE.

Do like the picture of that engine compartment. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Numbers look good. I did chuckle a little when he said 4x4 version is 23/29 Then goes on to say GM wiped the floor with Ford and Ram but in same article admits the numbers aren't out for the new ecodiesel but the old model was 20/27 but expects those numbers to tick up for new truck. I guess I wouldn't call that wiping the floor. So let's say Rams numbers come in at 22/28 then on top of that Rams tow capacity is 12,560 and the Chevy is 9,300. Doesn't look to me to be wiping the floor with the Ram. I am sure it will be a nice set up though.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
Impressive numbers, now GM needs to actually sell one.
Not sure if it was officially "sold" or it was a fleet vehicle but there was one plated and being driven for personal use at the GM Tech center today. I had to take second look but it had the Duramax badging and 6 lug wheels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does any one know if the motor was developed in house or hired out. I do love the idea of the straight 6 motor.

·
Registered
410 Posts
There is no such thing as a non-tunable ECU. there is a saying in the IT world - if you have physical access, you control it. period.

GM can do all they want to lock that ECU. crack the case open, and voila - its tunable. people are just going to have to cough up more cash for an ECU replacement thats tuned.
GDE won't touch the GM ECU's since they are encrypted. My brother-in-law has an '18 Duramax 2500 and would love a tune since his previous Duramax (a 2004) was pre-EGR and ran so much better. I asked GDE about it and they just chuckled - as far as they're concerned it's locked and they ain't gonna try to jail-break it. My bro-in-law is bummed - but he's thinking of moving to a 2020 EcoDiesel anyway cuz he loves the 1500 redesign.

Bob

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that someone had broke the encryption or whatever and the new d-max was tune-able.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts