RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first went 371k & pushed a head gasket likely due to low coolant from leaking EGR cooler. Upon tear down that motor was pretty toast.

Second one is buddy James that also tows Airstreams. His pic is the one below with 325k.

Third one is my replacement motor that just turned 300k today. They all have in common long hot hours pulling weight & drag. And no transmission issues.

F275E3ED-41E6-48EB-929D-4576F867F7CB.jpeg

F25E6A29-4CCD-43EB-8EF0-35604664C287.jpeg

52099042-D005-44A1-8B5B-6A90C946863A.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to pay half the part price plus the labor. Not impressed as it’s a designed failure even if it was done by careless programmer programming. The first new cluster they got was junk by the time I got the 2nd new cluster in I had already put 13,000 miles on from the time the original stopped working. They put a sticker in your door.

BTW Airstream shut down for 8 weeks due to the Pandemic. So not many miles made over that time frame.

·
Registered
188 Posts
BTW Airstream shut down for 8 weeks due to the Pandemic. So not many miles made over that time frame.
Well, I guess you can get caught up on any maintenance or whirly gigs to put on the truck. Or just go fishing...

·
Registered
701 Posts
Vern, have you checked with the Alpha guru's to see if there is anywhere that they could reprogram that error out for when you go over the next 600k mark.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
You brought up the topic - transmission.

Other than a pan change and fluid changes, have you had to do anything to the ZF?

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cap, No.

I change the fluid every 100k filter every 200k by average.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
So the key to long ecodiesel life is towing airstreams?
I think a big part of it is tune and putting miles on it at a much faster rate than your average bear. He put most of a lifetime worth of miles on the truck in 5-6 years. # of heat cycles and time are killers.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Vern did your Buddy grease his front wheel bearings ??
if I remember well , you did yours , are you on original front wheel bearing at over 600,000 miles ??

everybody , realise those engines have the EGR tuned out by a tune .............

·
Registered
32 Posts
WOW! Good to hear! Hoping that my recent cooling system replacement combined with the full top end replacement last year will finally keep mine running. So far in 18 months of ownership i have had a 50% down rate so not impressive. Just got it back yesterday so will see if can put some miles on it now. Thanks for the good news and hope! :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Vern did your Buddy grease his front wheel bearings ??
if I remember well , you did yours , are you on original front wheel bearing at over 600,000 miles ??

everybody , realise those engines have the EGR tuned out by a tune .............
Plus the advantage of fewer heat cycles from those long cross country drives at presumably slower freeway speeds.

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did tell James about greasing the front wheel bearings but don’t know if he did it. I will have to ask. I replaced one of my front wheel bearings because a dealer tech stripped one of the studs way back in the first 100k I believe. But I have greased them both since and never replaced another. Never greased them again since either.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Thanks Vern I was not sure if you had them replaced , sure is a plus for the
greasing or not question , well worth the effort .
interesting on the '' Never greased them again since either. '' courtsara wrote 10 pumps every 50,000 miles
after initial fill , not necessary to do it that often is what I get from your results ....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts