RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I don’t believe they generally do that type work. I had long used their tunes and had a high mileage hard worked motor that they wanted to tear down & inspect. I had also came to them to see if they could locate a motor for me and they were able to and at very good price at that. So it was a win win.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's encouraging to hear that your failed CP4 pumps just stopped working rather than disintegrating and causing further damage.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I don't think thats what happened. I think when Vern had his lift pumps fail, he preemptively just replaced the CP4. In his biz, thats what i would do as well.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I don't think thats what happened. I think when Vern had his lift pumps fail, he preemptively just replaced the CP4. In his biz, thats what i would do as well.
I gotcha. I thought the new complete Mopar replacement engine came with a new turbo, new injectors, and new CP4 pump. So maybe he changed the lift pumps, but not the CP4?

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
"I gotcha. I thought the new complete Mopar replacement engine came with a new turbo, new injectors, and new CP4 pump. So maybe he changed the lift pumps, but not the CP4?" This would be correct except shortly after I got the new motor I got a load of bad fuel that had water and lots of small diesel hard particles in it.

I ended up replacing the lift pump injectors & hi pressure pump. Though we did well on sourcing these parts and I was treated well on the labor it was still an ouch shortly after doing a new motor that included these things. Lesson learned always use Mopar fuel / water seperator filter. Wix though generally quality filters won't be warranted except possibly by Wix which good luck on that. Same with the out of state fueling station. However aside from this which is not the new motors fault the truck motor has went 300k without repair. Until today :rolleyes: crank tone wheel sensor.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
...........Until today :rolleyes: crank tone wheel sensor.
Ahhh , crap , 300,000 + miles on reluctor wheel , sorry for you .
Ziggy had it done for $1100 parts and Labor .. out of warranty ..

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah same ish here.

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Fortunately at home.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ugh. Tone wheels. Why the f would they put that between the engine and trans. So fing stupid.
It wouldn't be so stupid if they had made the part more durable. I'm hoping the Gen 3 engines have a better tone wheel/sensor.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
In my case it never happend to my first motor to 371,500 and this motor went 300k before losing the reluctor wheel. But I know there are people who lost it much sooner and it is expensive especially if you replace the sensor while in there.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I don’t believe they generally do that type work. I had long used their tunes and had a high mileage hard worked motor that they wanted to tear down & inspect. I had also came to them to see if they could locate a motor for me and they were able to and at very good price at that. So it was a win win.
Sounds like you got quite the buddy buddy rate on your engine replacement.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I am on good terms and have had good experience advice and help with & from GDE. I don't know about your buddy buddy system but they did locate a full warranty new motor for me at a good price. Likely no differnet than they would have for anyone else.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The biggest improvment that no one yet has brought to market is an intercooler reloacation kit. Well like Ram finally did for the 5th gen truck which helped to dramatically improve its towing numbers per compliance with SAE J2809 testing.
Has anyone taken measurements comparing the 2nd gen intercooler to the 3rd gen intercooler? Besides relocating the intercooler on the 3rd gen engine, did the intercooler itself get larger?

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Good question. I don't know. But I don't think the 4th gen intercooler is undersized just that it heat soaks and blocks much of the fresh air from the radiator. My Buick Grand National had this right back in 86 Ford did it right with the Ecoboost how Ram screwed it up the first time is beyond me. So is the fact that no one ever brought this to market.

Reactions: biodiesel
41 - 60 of 60 Posts