RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When coming to a road to turn on the truck will always get down to 3rd gear. When I get back on the go pedal the transmission acts like it has unlocked the torque converter as the engine will rev up with little acceleration and then drop the rpms when it locks up. I have verified this with the gears on the dash visible and it always reads 3rd gear and then goes all of the way through 8th with no fuss. This makes towing a pain as it it lugs when it locks up.
Anyone else having the same issues?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I dont remember if this trans is only unlocked in first or if it can unlock up to third, i wanna say it is only supposed to unlock in first and will stay locked 2-8. Anyway, if your towing, you want your torque converter to be locked, when it is unlocked you are just creating excessive heat and wasting energy. Do you think the trans is slipping or just the torque converter locking and unlocking?

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
When coming to a road to turn on the truck will always get down to 3rd gear. When I get back on the go pedal the transmission acts like it has unlocked the torque converter as the engine will rev up with little acceleration and then drop the rpms when it locks up. I have verified this with the gears on the dash visible and it always reads 3rd gear and then goes all of the way through 8th with no fuss. This makes towing a pain as it it lugs when it locks up.
Anyone else having the same issues?
Does this happen in tow/haul mode?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mine does this constantly. Probably the only thing I dislike about the transmission. It's the worst when the road you're turning on is a hill. Revs go up and truck doesn't want to go. More pedal, more revs. Finally revs drop and truck accelerates.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine does this constantly. Probably the only thing I dislike about the transmission. It's the worst when the road you're turning on is a hill. Revs go up and truck doesn't want to go. More pedal, more revs. Finally revs drop and truck accelerates.
Yes ... same here!

Truck does it in Tow Haul or Regular Mode. I will mention it to my Service Advisor the next time I'm in. I do not remember it doing this at first so I'm wondering if the last Transmission "flash" caused it to start :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
I only see this in one VERY specific scenario... I have a very steep hill approach to my house. as i slow down from 40 mph to about 5mph, i make a right up the hill and get back on the diesel, the transmission has downshifted into i think 2nd and the converter is definitely unlocked.

It is definitely annoying. I will try tow haul mode.

I don't think this is a transmission mechanical problem. I think its a calibration issue. I think there is likely a gap in calibration parameters that allows this. trans should downshift one more gear and lock up.

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
You sure this a'int the hill assist feature where it keeps you from rolling backwards when you let off the brake?
Unlikely since HSA requires being fully stopped.

HSA Activation Criteria

The following criteria must be met in order for HSA to
activate:

• Vehicle must be stopped
• Vehicle must be on an approximate 7% or greater
incline
• Gear selection matches vehicle uphill direction (i.e.,
vehicle facing uphill is in forward gear; vehicle backing
uphill is in REVERSE gear).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I watched my CTS2 yesterday on the way home because, after reading this thread, I realized I find the same thing. My transmission unlocks when I get down to 3rd gear every time. It will lock in first when I start from a dead stop. It IS annoying to hit the pedal after a slow turn and feel like nothing is happening.

·
Registered
15 EcoDiesel
49 Posts
Yup i get the same thing sometimes,, I have to say this trans is the worst part about the truck.. Yes 8 gears are amazing and the ratios are pretty good but the way it shifts, locks/unlocks, and NOT being able to choose what gear you WANT TO HOLD (like most tiptronic or pushbutton/paddle shifts work).. I have the GDE and DP delete and would love to compare 30-60MPH sprints while having the ability to short shift 2500-3500 RMPs VS just letting the truck go wayyy up into the 4k range and then back to 32-3300 RPMs on each shift.... Its like when you floor the pedal, this truck loves to have the RPMs stay where theres very little torque, and 240Hp is not going to move 6000+Lbs very well..

Somebody PLEASE come out with a trans tune to give us the ability to HOLD ANY GEAR and UPSHIFT ON COMMAND..I hate having to trick the TCM out by lifting off the pedal for sec to force the upshift

1 - 12 of 12 Posts