RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent recall of ecodiesel classic up to 2019 for the cp4 fuel pump fix does that mean our 3rd gen uses a different one? I am curious what separates ours from the older models needing to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,503 Posts
Read a report that there was a coating change in the roller. Doubt that is very significant as the main issue is the roller turning on the cam with no reasonable way to stop that.

For some reason, while other engines had issues with the CP4, the number of troubles with the Ecodiesel has not been of major significance.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I don't know if this is fact or not, but this was posted in the 3rd gen EcoDiesel Facebook page:

"I did some research on what change was made in 2020. The only change for the internal design of the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP was a symmetrical cam profile. The CP4.2 up to Dec 2019 had an asymmetrical cam profile, meaning the lift slope was different than the drop slope. I’m uncertain how they figure this will make any difference. The electric low pressure lift pump at the fuel tank is the one major preventative components. Air of any amount getting into the CP4 pumps was identified as a major cause of failure along with not enough fuel lubricant in ULSD. Priming the fuel system multiple times after a fuel filter change is very important to prevent air getting into the CP4."

·
Registered
279 Posts
Read a report that there was a coating change in the roller. Doubt that is very significant as the main issue is the roller turning on the cam with no reasonable way to stop that.

For some reason, while other engines had issues with the CP4, the number of troubles with the Ecodiesel has not been of major significance.
That was the info I had found, the plungers need to be keyed to the piston bore to prevent the assembly from turning and the roller ending up 90 degrees from where it should be.

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,331 Posts
I don't know if this is fact or not, but this was posted in the 3rd gen EcoDiesel Facebook page:

"I did some research on what change was made in 2020. The only change for the internal design of the Bosch CP4.2 HPFP was a symmetrical cam profile. The CP4.2 up to Dec 2019 had an asymmetrical cam profile, meaning the lift slope was different than the drop slope. I’m uncertain how they figure this will make any difference. The electric low pressure lift pump at the fuel tank is the one major preventative components. Air of any amount getting into the CP4 pumps was identified as a major cause of failure along with not enough fuel lubricant in ULSD. Priming the fuel system multiple times after a fuel filter change is very important to prevent air getting into the CP4."
Bio,
Not being picky but it might be important to someone to know that the older style asymmetrical CP4.2 was not changed to the symmetrical cam profile until mid-2020. My 2020 is a 3/16/20 build and has an older style. (y)

·
Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,331 Posts
John, isn't your 3500 already under the recall to change over from the CP4x to the CP3?
Yes, mine has already been changed to the new CP3.3

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I have been using hotshot every 6k miles since I bought my 2022 new.
You need to be adding EDT to every fill up and Diesel Extreme every 6 months.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Every tank I pour in a bottle of Alliant Power ULTRAGUARD Diesel Fuel Treatment. I buy it a case of 14 1/2 pints at a time, and each bottle has a nice long neck for the fuel filler. Roughly the same specs as Stanodyne.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts