RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is the air suspension replaces the coil springs only, so there are still dampers required to control compression and rebound. Can someone tell me if this is correct? And if so, do the air suspension equipped trucks use different shocks and struts than the standard coil spring suspension? I'm curious if upgraded dampers will be an option, such as Bilstein, or if the factory method of damping is some nonstandard design with no aftermarket options for upgrading.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I know at least the front is one sealed unit with the shock and air spring together not sure about the rear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The Ram brochure shows a good picture of the system. All four corners have the same setup. They look like a shock/air bag combination. I'm sure you won't be upgrading anything to this system, it is all integrated to work together.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i was thinking of this just a bit ago - pretty funny. i wonder if there will be an aftermarket upgrade at some point. or what the hell happens when these inevitably need serviced??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Should individual components fail they will be available through Mopar. I have seen the shock/air bag units in our warehouse. There are some aftermarket systems out there but none of them have the abilities of this system. Diesel power magazine says at this price it's a no brainer to add it. I first ordered my truck in March, and ordered the air ride. Somewhere along the line the order got messed up, and truck showed up without air ride. I'm still waitng on the second truck. It left Warren, MI on June 6th so hopefully not much longer. The air ride was important enough to me for towing that I insisted they get me another truck. With some inside help from Chrysler it worked out.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
So, no you wouldn't be able to add Bilstein 5100's, for example, and get a couple inches of lift. Doing so would extend the airbags...or would it?

Would the system "know" it's grown by, say, 1.5" or would the bags simply expand into the available space, performing as usual, just across an altered portion of their range. Same 4" overall movement for the system, but starting and stopping effectively 1.5" higher off the ground due to the Bilsteins.

Though its obvious the fronts are an integrated unit - shock and airbag...

Interesting thought exercise.

You know what? I might just have an easy fix for this! Stunned it's only now just occurring to me...

I must buy a Jeep, too, and lift it!

·
Registered
173 Posts
They are a sealed unit. No shock absorber to take out. I see from the pictures it's called an air spring. The system relies on various sensors for raising and lowering automatically so any alteration would affect the way it works. It's a great setup and needs no improvement in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Diesel power magazine says at this price it's a no brainer to add it.
Pretty much everyone who's driven the truck and written about it echos this sentiment. That said, buyers need to think about why they're buying it.

Word is that in the Entry position, steering lock is reduced, so tight turns will require a reset to Normal ride height. And typical of many factory systems, thresholds for activation and deactivation will appear to be heavy handed to some. Offroad mode cuts out above a certain speed, so transitions between tough spots offroad might see ride height returned to Normal and you needing to recall OFFROAD 2 before the next "obstacle", etc.

For me, it was a no brainer. I wanted it for the ride comfort - that alone made it worth the added cost to me. Added bonus is the load leveling (handy for motorcycle hauling) and kneeling for entry/exit (not installing running boards or side steps as the reduction of ride height on entry/exit will solve most of the height issues for us in everyday life. (Which allows me to indulge in skipping an accessory I don't really like in the first place!)

The good news is this...

1 - either Mopar will make the system available in the future as a dealer-installed "accessory", or...
2 - the aftermarket will step in and do the same, or...
3 - you'll upgrade to a new truck in the future with either a vastly improved version of what we have today, or it'll fail miserably, you'll avoid the heartbreak and move onto something better down the road. ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
improvement meaning higher payload - have to think based on what we know that the 'weak' link in the lower payload stems from either coil springs or the air system. it rides amazing - my truck has it even though i didn't consider it a 'must have'; in fact first truck i ordered i didn't go this route and it was going to have a 250lb higher payload rating than what mine is now...which is also somewhat of an indicator that the weak link definitely involves the air suspension. if enough ED's ship and use this setup, someone somewhere is going to figure out a way to sell an 'upgrade'.

that said, yes you're going to love it because it sure does ride nice, no question there!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
improvement meaning higher payload - have to think based on what we know that the 'weak' link in the lower payload stems from either coil springs or the air system. it rides amazing - my truck has it even though i didn't consider it a 'must have'; in fact first truck i ordered i didn't go this route and it was going to have a 250lb higher payload rating than what mine is now...which is also somewhat of an indicator that the weak link definitely involves the air suspension. if enough ED's ship and use this setup, someone somewhere is going to figure out a way to sell an 'upgrade'.

that said, yes you're going to love it because it sure does ride nice, no question there!
Now see, two minds are better than one.

I WASN'T thinking of increases in payload, but WAS specifically envisioning a scenario where greater ground clearance could be achieved to improve offroad performance. Just proof to the point of there are many needs to fulfill and its a tough job to cover all the bases for owners. perfect world - any improvements would lead to coverage in each area.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My hope on the system was to have enough people with it that someone would come along with an upgrade fix. It should be a bit easier with all the plumbing and wiring in place to make something really nice out of it. I do see a lot of potential .

·
Registered
334 Posts
This system does have rear shocks you can change and I see no reason a spacer could not be added on the top of the air bag assemblies and then a longer rod that goes to the sensors to make it see everything as good. Also I don't see why a simple change in the length of the rods could be able to change ride height and with different rods up front you could level the truck. Just some things I just looked at on mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow great info everyone, thanks!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone noticed what brand is the OE supplier of rear shocks on their truck?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I test drove a non-air version crew cab 4x4 ecodiesel and it was just fine. I think these fancy airshocks is just something else that is going to fail and be $1000 per corner to replace. I guess if you have a specific need for it go for it- for me I think I'm gonna keep it simple and skip it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts