RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
So, lock the air suspension, jack it up and use jack stands or, take three 10-12' 2x12's for each side, pressure treated, cut them so there"s a ramp up to the top, screw them together, screw them also in place (cross braces) so the truck can use them over and over, drive up on them, lock the suspension on the highest setting (off road 2), now with jack stands in place work under the vehicle.

Actually on a lift the air suspension wouldn't try to level anything but yes, lock it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yes, it's under settings on the radio. Definitely want to enable tire jack mode if jacking up the truck, and remind service departments to use tire jack mode any time the truck goes on a lift.
Just an interesting piece of data. When I remove my load bars from my hitch I use the trailer jack to raise the trailer/truck to release the force on the bars so I can remove them. This action raises the body of the truck similar to a tire change. A couple of times now when I was done the truck remained lifted. I would have to go to the Uconnect settings and turn off Jack Mode. Apparently the computer senses that you're raising the body and at some point automatically goes into jack mode.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I've never seen mine automatically go into tire jack mode, and I often disconnect my wdh in the same manner.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've never seen mine automatically go into tire jack mode, and I often disconnect my wdh in the same manner.
Likely depends on how high one needs to go to get the bars loose. I've got to go pretty high with my Centerline TS.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Likely depends on how high one needs to go to get the bars loose. I've got to go pretty high with my Centerline TS.
I've always assumed the airbags have a higher volume of air in them to keep the truck at standard level when hitched to the trailer. When I unhitch, then deselect Tire Jack Mode and drive to the end of my driveway (200 feet) the truck settles down to standard height.

For oil and fuel filter changes I put the suspension in Off Road 2 and then put it in Tire Jack Mode - with some jack stands under the frame at key points. It's never settled down on the stands but when you hear the horror stories.... :rolleyes:

By the way, every night my truck settles about an inch or two and then lifts up again when I fire it up in the morning. It's settling more in the past couple of months than in the past and I'm pretty sure it's time for new air bags all around. I'm planning on replacing the fronts first and then the rear - the fronts are definitely more involved. The R&R isn't that big a deal - I've done the same on Jeeps in the past - but I just have to confirm the process of evacuating and then refilling the air from each spring using AlphaOBD. Looks to be pretty straightforward but I'm planning on having the system evacuated and recharged with nitrogen at the dealer when I'm done. Of course they don't know how to quote the job since the only time they've done it is when they replaced all the airbags at the same time. Guess they're not used to dealing with competent truck owners :ROFLMAO:

Bob

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've always assumed the airbags have a higher volume of air in them to keep the truck at standard level when hitched to the trailer. When I unhitch, then deselect Tire Jack Mode and drive to the end of my driveway (200 feet) the truck settles down to standard height.
Bob
Bob, so you put it in the tire jack mode to hitch and unhitch?

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Bob, so you put it in the tire jack mode to hitch and unhitch?
I do. Helps when setting up the wdh by using the trailer jack to lift the rear of the truck.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I do. Helps when setting up the wdh by using the trailer jack to lift the rear of the truck.
Yep, Tire Jack mode when hitching up. Otherwise the truck thinks it needs to release pressure when you’re lifting the truck & trailer and when you let it back down the suspension is too low. With Tire Jack the system is turned off and no pressure is released or added.

When I’m done hitching and have lowered the truck and trailer I go back to normal mode and the system lifts the truck up an inch or so to get it back to normal height. When disconnecting the trailer I follow the same process. Works like a charm.

Bob

21 - 28 of 28 Posts