RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a Cummins-Powered Nissan Frontier on the Way? - PickupTrucks.com News

Pulled this link from another site. It refers to the Ram 1500. Interesting that they propose to use the same transmission as is in the Ram. This is the kind of engine I was hoping would be in the Ram 1500. Only thing is this engine is a bit "weak" so would do better in a smaller pickup.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That engine would do just fine in our trucks, with the right tranny and adjusted fuel mapping.....

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of sad Chrysler did not make a deal with Cummins on something like this. They developed that stupid 8 cylinder complex thing and Chrysler probably nixed it. Now it's Nissan's baby.

I just like having an American company making the engine right here with the profits staying here with us and for us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
More likely what nixed it was the fact that Fiat owns VM Motori. It wouldn't surprise me if VM Motori wasn't now working on a replacement for the big Cummins now in the RAM 2500/3500.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think that would really hurt thier sales of those trucks.... a lot of people buy ram because of the cummins.

·
Registered
730 Posts
More likely what nixed it was the fact that Fiat owns VM Motori. It wouldn't surprise me if VM Motori wasn't now working on a replacement for the big Cummins now in the RAM 2500/3500.
I doubt that, honestly people don't buy a RAM diesel HD, they buy a Cummins HD. Operational suicide.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That's just nuts!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Put it in a Wrangler!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe Cummins has been producing that 4 cylinder version for the Asian market for some time and they may even build it there, maybe I'm wrong but don't assume it's North American, they do have factories over seas now. I'd like it more if it was a manual!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I believe Cummins has been producing that 4 cylinder version for the Asian market for some time and they may even build it there, maybe I'm wrong but don't assume it's North American, they do have factories over seas now. I'd like it more if it was a manual!
Yep. My wife's Hyundai Elantra is built in Montgomery, Alabama and my Gold Wing was built in Marysville, Ohio.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Putting it in a Wrangler is a good idea.

Harley is not 1/2 made from parts sourced in China. I do not have the exact statistics right now but will look. Just recently read something on that issue. As the for the other issues on where made, Harley is American and the profits stay here with an American Company. If Cummins makes some engines in Europe the profits come back here as they are an American company. It's hard to figure out what to say about Ram as it's Italian Fiat. As for the other things assembled in America and owned by foreign companies - the profits go where?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
They employ a lot of hard working Americans with well paying jobs though, and a lot of spin off jobs around the plants.... that's really all that matters.... a lot of investment in those plants too!!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hate to break it to you all, but the world that we live in, with all of the multi-national corporations, there are no real "Made in the USA" or "Made in Canada" anymore. My Longhorn has her engine from Italy, but it is not mentioned that the Ecodiesel block was actually poured in Brazil, and then what we know as the engine was put together in Italy, the transmission comes from Germany and my window sticker says something like 30% of the parts are from Mexico, but it all came together in Warren, MI to complete the finished product. I just bought a Mahindra tractor thinking that I was getting an Indian made tractor, but instead she came from outside of Seoul, South Korea. And the bush hog has Mahindra on the side as well, but it was made by Kodiak in Tennessee. We, as a world, are so intertwined that there is no more "them", its just us, like it or not.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have nothing but pride trying to support "us".

Meantime my research shows Harley is about 65% American parts. The wheels are now Australian because Harley owns a plant there to make them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts