RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the wife, kids and I decide to go to Branson Mo we get about 30 miles from home my fuel is at 18-19 mpg running 70mph I was thinking damn these tires hadn't hurt my fuel this bad all week I slow down to 60mph no change. Then my check engine light turns on. I go ahead and drive it to Springfield stop at Autozone have them check it my #4 cylinder/injector timing is off he said. I called dodge once they opened service Manager said he can get me in Monday and if it wasn't flashinh it would be ok to keep driving.

What say you? Lol I was really thinking ****ing tires are killing even tho all week they got 22.5

·
Registered
127 Posts
Soooo you're getting the 22.5 with the 2" and tires. Not bad, what has your highway mileage been with the lift and tires? Ordering the 2" leveling today...

Well the wife, kids and I decide to go to Branson Mo we get about 30 miles from home my fuel is at 18-19 mpg running 70mph I was thinking damn these tires hadn't hurt my fuel this bad all week I slow down to 60mph no change. Then my check engine light turns on. I go ahead and drive it to Springfield stop at Autozone have them check it my #4 cylinder/injector timing is off he said. I called dodge once they opened service Manager said he can get me in Monday and if it wasn't flashinh it would be ok to keep driving.

What say you? Lol I was really thinking ****ing tires are killing even tho all week they got 22.5

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
22.5 is hwy and pasture driving, was going to post this weekends mileage itll be 95% hwy but it has dropped to 18 dealer said it will be a "easy fix" we will see. I haven't been hot rodding or towing with the 35x12.50r20s yet. If I can keep it above 20 mpg towing will be the big question I think 22-23 is about max I will get outide of setting cruise at 65 for a long hwy drive.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
How do they fix something like that?

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright to make things even weirder check light was on all day Saturday even after 2 or 3 2+ hour shut offs. Get in this morning still on go to the park come back out get in to leave and head home and whala it was off. Reset trip#2 and it shows me getting 22.7 mpg running 72mph on turnpike home for 100+ miles trip#1 slightly rose the hole way home but I was at 18.3mpg after 150+ miles while light was on.

Soooooo does this thing autocorrect its self?? Hmmm going to call dealer and see lol kind of a wierd weekend

·
Registered
360 Posts

Saturday morning, I was heading to the shooting range and noticed very low mpg while driving on the why - 20 mpg at 65. I was getting 28-30 at this speed previously. On the way home, it was fine. I did not think much about it until I saw your post. I will watch it closely now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
JAK... Your truck was probably running a regeneration cycle,using extra diesel to burn/clean the dpf, while you were driving on the highway the first time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dodge said it auto corrected its self. So that's different for me. They said not to worry about it unless it happens again.

·
Registered
360 Posts
JAK... Your truck was probably running a regeneration cycle,using extra diesel to burn/clean the dpf, while you were driving on the highway the first time.
Thanks malinois. Unfortunately, I have just over 1k miles on the ED. I am running about 50/50 city/hwy. The hwy driving has been up to an hour at a time. That may be the issue but I am wondering.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha ok I'm going to dealer at 8 am tomorrow as my light came back on today.... at least it has been drivable

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well its not official yet but they are saying I might have at least one injector out. They are testing them all. Now I'm wondering how long of a wait that will be. Once they give me official statement ill update then. Just sitting in the lobby waiting now

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That blows! Thanks for the update! Wonder what that's gunna cost ram....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Idk the cost but 2 injectors tested bad #3-#4. Said they won't have replacements til Saturday I'm driving a 2014 2500 CC Cummins till its fixed. I'll keep everybody updated.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Nice! At least they gave you a solid truck to drive! Did they say what caused the failure?

And who makes our injectors for that matter?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha those are the two questions I asked. He said when they pull em out to keep them out they will test them more and let me knkw for sure what theh find out and it took them 2 hours to get Chrysler to ship them the new injectors. I guess Chrysler has had a lot of dealers trying to order parts they didn't even need because they are so scarce and only at the main warehouses.

When they actually get them in and installed I'll find out who makes them and if they can finally tell me why they was bad.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Cool thanks for the update! Wonder if they a bosch... I seem to remember reading that they were somewhere...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Well its not official yet but they are saying I might have at least one injector out. They are testing them all. Now I'm wondering how long of a wait that will be. Once they give me official statement ill update then. Just sitting in the lobby waiting now
Strange. Solenoid injectors are normally very rugged. AND... it's the same ones that the power stroke engines use. But, I guess if you make a few thousand, they are liable to make one that doesn't work.

Nice! At least they gave you a solid truck to drive! Did they say what caused the failure?

And who makes our injectors for that matter?
As you suspected... yes, they are Bosch. (along with the CP4.2 pump, and engine computer) I know Fiat tries to pimp it as their system... but it isn't.

Actually... I was very pleased to see all the name brands on the parts, when I'm under the hood. (Bosch, TRW, DelOrto. etc)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope I just had bad luck and its not like the 6.0 fords every person I've talked to all have had horrible injector problems with their 6.0s.

I'm sure that's not the case here but only time will tell. I'll post on here when they are able to tell me what the cause was.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts