RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of my new 1500 Eco Diesel. I am not clear on how the selection of 4WD works. I have the following setting: 2WD, 4WD Low and 4 Lock - where is 4 high? The owners manual is not clear. Any ideas??

·
Registered
940 Posts
No 4 Auto.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have 2wd, 4 auto, 4 lock and 4 lo. If I understand correctly you can shift between 2wd, 4 auto and 4 lock at any speed? The 4 lo you must be nearly stopped with the transmission in neutral? This is my first 4wd truck and I don't want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
4 Lo you need to be completely stopped or it will not shift into it. 4 Auto for going to go get groceries on slippery to dry roads.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have 2wd, 4 auto, 4 lock and 4 lo. If I understand correctly you can shift between 2wd, 4 auto and 4 lock at any speed? The 4 lo you must be nearly stopped with the transmission in neutral? This is my first 4wd truck and I don't want to screw anything up.
Yes, you can shift between 2wd, 4 auto & 4 lock at pretty much any speed but I'd keep it below about 40 mph while shifting between them... it's easier on the transfer case and drive line... plus if you are going faster then that you shouldn't really need 4wd. To get into 4 lo you should be at a complete stop and have the transmission in neutral with your foot on the brake, switch the transfer case into neutral, then you can select 4 lo.

·
Registered
543 Posts
From the on line owner's manual. To shift either transfer case into 4Low, the TRANSMISSION should be in neutral (not the transfer case) and it is preferable that the truck be moving slowly 2-3mph:

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE OPERATION
FOUR-POSITION/PART TIME TRANSFER CASE
The transfer case provides four mode
positions:
• Two-wheel drive high range (2WD)
• Four-wheel drive high range (4WD
LOCK)
• NEUTRAL (N)
• Four-wheel drive low range (4WD LOW)
This transfer case is intended to be driven
in the 2WD position for normal street and
highway conditions, such as dry, hardsurfaced
roads.
When additional traction is required, the
4WD LOCK and 4WD LOW positions can
be used to lock the front and rear driveshafts together.
When operating your vehicle in 4WD LOW, do not exceed 25 mph (40 km/h).
Shifting Procedure
Shifting between 2WD and 4WD LOCK can be made with the vehicle stopped or in
motion at speeds up to 55 mph (88 km/h).
Shifting between 2WD or 4WD LOCK into 4WD LOW must be made with the transmission
in NEUTRAL and the vehicle stopped or rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).
NOTE:
It is preferred to have the engine running and the vehicle moving at 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h).
WARNING!
You or others could be injured if you leave the vehicle unattended with the transfer
case in the NEUTRAL position without first fully engaging the parking brake. The
transfer case NEUTRAL position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts
from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move regardless of the transmission
position. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not
in the vehicle.
OFF-ROAD CAPABILITIES
FIVE-POSITION/ON-DEMAND TRANSFER CASE
This electronically shifted transfer case
provides five mode positions:
• Two-wheel drive high range (2WD)
• Four-wheel drive automatic range (4WD
AUTO)
• Four-wheel drive lock range (4WD
LOCK)
• Four-wheel drive low range (4WD LOW)
• NEUTRAL (N)
This electronically shifted transfer case is
designed to be driven in the two-wheel
drive position (2WD) or four-wheel drive
position (4WD AUTO) for normal street and
highway conditions on dry, hard-surfaced
roads.
Driving the vehicle in 2WD will have greater fuel economy benefits as the front axle
is not engaged in 2WD.
Shifting Procedure
Shifting between 2WD and 4WD AUTO or 4WD LOCK can be made with the vehicle
stopped or in motion at speeds up to 55 mph (88 km/h).
Shifting between 2WD, 4WD AUTO and 4WD LOCK into 4WD LOW must be made
with the transmission in NEUTRAL and the vehicle stopped or rolling at 2 to 3 mph
(3 to 5 km/h).
NOTE:
It is preferred to have the engine running and the vehicle moving at 2 to 3 mph (3 to
5 km/h).
WARNING!
You or others could be injured if you leave the vehicle unattended with the transfer
case in the NEUTRAL position without first fully engaging the parking brake. The
transfer case NEUTRAL position disengages both the front and rear driveshafts
from the powertrain and will allow the vehicle to move regardless of the transmission
position. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not
in the vehicle.
OFF-ROAD CAPABILITIES

·
Registered
9 Posts
@wbdavey
Nothing like quoting the gospel to put these matters to rest. I have used 4WD Auto on dry pavement but have yet to put her in 4WD Lock. I will say that it is an entirely different thing to have the transmission in neutral than it is to have the transfer case in neutral after reading your post.
Alt-Tab

1 - 11 of 11 Posts