RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many on this forum have had experience with the Cummins either by previous ownership or have information regarding long term reliability. In particular looking for trucks not modified, just driven off the lot and normal maintenance.
I'm getting mixed reviews on line. As usual emission issues and FCA support is my biggest concern. Overall Cummins is rock solid, just curious what you all know.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
We know it is "rock solid".

The CP3 injector pump in the 2018 and earlier is solid. The engine is legendary. The emissions equipment has gotten reliable since about 2015 or so. No other mechanical issues haunt the vehicle.

In 2019 the engine was changed rather dramatically. Now it has hydraulic valves, a major difference from earlier engines needing mechanical valve adjustments, albeit rarely. The new engine has a different set of pistons, bottom end, turbo, engine block and more. It now uses a CP4.2 injector pump. That last topic is the only thing of early concern. Ecodiesel uses that pump. Powerstroke does also. GM dumped it in favor of a Denso pump because of failures, maybe caused by not having a lift pump in the system. If the CP4.2 fails it tends to trash the downstream fuel system with metal pieces. That is not good but seems to be pretty rare. There is also a bypass system offered to protect that if it happens from an aftermarket company. It's one a $grand so wait until the powertrain warranty is out and there's more time on the engine to know more.

Twin fuel filters are easy to change. Same with then oil filter. Running gear is very reliable with only a few critical of the transmissions. There are two different transmissions available in the 3500's. Both seem reliable but some want more gears. The transmissions have dipsticks and are easy to maintain.

Fuel mileage should be in the very low 20's once broken in. DEF usage seems to be higher than with the Ecodiesel, especially if you tow heavy. Of course, the Ecodiesel cannot tow heavy,. What is heavy? My 2019 2500 has a tow rating of 19,200 lbs in 4 x 4.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent info sir. My concern is emission after the eco. Good to hear Cummins has it under reasonable control. I just want 120k miles of dependable service.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Remember that in this world there are no guarantees. Just because some get 1/2 million or more does not mean you will.

Same goes for me. My last one I sold at 242,000 miles. Never an engine issue but did have manual shifting issues that turned out to be a flywheel bushing going into the transmission.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Like he said, no guarantees. I have about 77,000km on my 2017 3500. I had the tailgate recall and at the same time I had my front main seal done. All at about 55k and under warranty.

About a year ago I had the poor DEF code go off with the mileage countdown. It was will Terry, i was towing and had half a tank of DEF. Kept driving and in 10 minutes it cleared and I stopped the tank off later.

Those are the only issues I have had. We tow our 5 horse numerous times per year, lightly loaded (gas truck weight territory) and a few days per year we run it well past its ratings when hauling hay. It has never missed a beat.

Even last winter it was driven daily with short trips and lots of idle time in the extreme cold. Had the transmission mounts and down pipe ice up bad but the engine e and emissions components never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found this and thinking I made a good decision on the Cummins. I was close to paying a premium for a 7.3 Ford. Below is a summary of the first independent dyno.
The big 7.3-liter gasser make about 23.1 horsepower more than the 6.2-liter at the top end. It also makes 37.8 lb-ft of torque more.

1. The 7.3-liter wheel power numbers look good, but they are not mind-blowing. It’s good to see very good torque numbers from this engine. What does it mean for the estimated power at the crank? It’s safe to estimate a 20% drivetrain power loss for a heavy duty pickup truck, although we do not know the precise losses.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
The highest mile CTD I know has over 700k last I heard. It lives with a very large horse trailer on the back traveling around the country.
Honestly any vehicle that spends most of its time on the highway like that one does is going to cover many more miles than a vehicle that drives 20-30 mile trips .

·
Registered
357 Posts
Now in hindsight, my 6.7 seems to not be the most reliable.... front main seal replaced early on and now at 80,000km, injectors 1 and 5 were dying. Warranty on all of it, no questions but still a bummer on a new truck. What I will say, all of that could have been fixed by me in my driveway and a couple specialty tools. Other than removing the intake elbow, injector lines and fuel rail to access both injectors, it is a much simpler process than the 6.6 or 6.7 PS.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
BrianF....Have you given any consideration on purchasing an Edge Monitor ?

They are very useful and extremely informative, Like when you did your oil samples, How close after a regen did you take your oil sample ? Because after a regen oil will show elevated fuel level in oil sample..
They’ll show an active Regen..

They show VGT positioning, very useful because the Cummins are known to have turbo actuator failures from soot building up ...

EGR positioning will give you a very good understanding on the EGR programming, until you delete? From reading the internet it works really good with EFI live ...

With the Aisin you’ll be able to monitor TC temperatures, very useful to keep Transmission temperatures lower understanding an unlocked converter builds transmission fluid temperatures..
Very useful while towing heavy..

You can put digital Rpms, speed ,Transmission gears selection , TC lock up ...Ect...

The Edge insight is a Very useful monitor, I just lightly touched on a couple functions...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I had considered an aftermarket display for those aforementioned reasons but... I had began pricing them out and just could not pull the trigger. While the oil temp is an algorithm, the coolant and trans are not. Even towing very heavy, they never got out of control. In fact, the trans seldom went past 75C. The coolant barely crested 100C. I also could never tell when it is having an active regen.

I had to have the larger cluster display for all my readouts when towing and found the truck so boring I never use them.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Guy at my hunting camp came in last week with his Cummins. It is vintage 2000, Looks brand new and runs, although loudly, super. 324,000 miles. Now that is a pre-emissions one.

FYI just returned from a successful week hunting deer ( 9 pt ) and pulling trailer. Running 75-80 pulling a quad on the trailer I think my fuel mileage is dropping. Now it seems low 17's is the result. That is over 1,000 miles with only about 200 miles of non-interstate. Does better slower but with that darn 3:75 rear end it runs 1,800 rpm at 75 mph towing. For fuel mileage I am guessing that is the bummer dropping things down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts