RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for those of you who have already ordered-did you go 4x2 or 4x4 and why? My dealer has an ED on it's way to their showroom that is 4x2. All the trucks I've ever owned have been 4x4 simply because to me it's one of those things you might rarely need, but when you do need it you are real glad to have it. I'm not huge into off roading, but I do like to explore some dirt roads and go camping, I just don't try to wheel or anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's always better to have it for those times that you actually will need it. It's like insurance. It's "in case shit happens".

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
So for those of you who have already ordered-did you go 4x2 or 4x4 and why? My dealer has an ED on it's way to their showroom that is 4x2. All the trucks I've ever owned have been 4x4 simply because to me it's one of those things you might rarely need, but when you do need it you are real glad to have it. I'm not huge into off roading, but I do like to explore some dirt roads and go camping, I just don't try to wheel or anything.
I got this truck specifically for 4x4, but I don't need it all the time so I didn't need the "4-wheel auto" feature. Outdoorsman foregoes the 4-wheel auto but includes all kinds of jazzy doodads like skidplates, towhooks, limited-slip diff, tow hitch, and flux capacitor just for getting 4x4. I was buying them anyway, so Outdoorsman was the cheapest way.

If you're pulling weight from a dead stop on an uphill with anything less than perfect traction, you'd probably prefer the 4x4.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in Texas and went with the 4X4. My current truck is a 4X2 and is worthless the 2 days out of the year it snows / ice storm. A 4X4 just looks much better in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I got 4x4 because I will use it enough to make it worthwhile. I live on the edge of the basin & range in the snow zone and I'm surrounded by public lands. At any time during half the year highways may require 4x4 with winter tires (otherwise chains which I hate). Backcountry roads that I travel get little if any regular maintenance.

For you, consider how you might use 4x4. Most people will be fine on dirt roads and infrequent snow with 4x2, the anti-spin rear differential and appropriate tires--those two things make more difference than 4x4. What 4x4 adds is traction to get moving on slippery surfaces and the ability to tackle extreme terrain at a slow, steady speed. Maybe 4x4 adds to resale value, I don't know.

The downsides of 4x4 are added cost (over $3k), added weight (200 lbs), added complexity (maintenance $), and poorer fuel economy (-1 mpg). For the diesel, added weight is a major consideration. The engine already adds over 100 lbs to the front axle (250 lbs overall) compared to a Hemi. Adding another 200 lbs with 4x4 reduces the axle's reserve capacity to as little as 500 lbs depending on model. Besides reducing payload and towing capacities, the added weight on the front affects handling and braking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
4x4

Snows in winter, wouldn't be able to make it to work during snow storms... I'm driving on the road before the plows even start.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed to all the above about the pros of 4x4. I currently live in FL but will be moving to California (in between Sacramento and San Fran) in September. I plan on hitting up the national parks when I get there for sure, very excited to say the least. One thing I am wondering about however is the cost of diesel in CA and whether or not it is going to remain stable or jump up again.

·
Registered
346 Posts
After getting (I got) stuck two times in a 4x2 Dakota. my wife had enough. So, while I was in Iraq she secretly went to the dealership and traded the 4x2 for a 4x4. Never been stuck again. Better safe than sorry, go 4x4.

·
Registered
396 Posts
We get around 125" of snow a year and my driveway is 800' long. I hate to put the plow on so I let it fill up to a foot or two before I plow. my wife has all wheel drive and I always have a 4x4. if you don't you don't need to visit me from October to April.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Can't back up a trailer to camper spot, pull boats up wet ramps etc.

Even wet grass or a mud spot on a flat road is an obstical without four-wheel drive.

Resale, operation and satisfaction all suffer if you don't have a 4x4.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'll be the odd man out. I went with 2WD. The truck will be a tow vehicle and 50% daily driver. With few exceptions it will never get off pavement. No snow in coastal GA. 4WD reduces tow capacity and mpg, adds height, adds failure points, raises purchase and insurance costs. Because towing is a priority, the cargo/tow capacity, mpg, and the 2WD truck being lower (better handling) are all much higher priorities than having 4 drive wheels. Also, and a little outside the box, I've always taken care that my vehicles don't become the family road trip vehicle. Wife's X5 has AWD for winter ski trips or the annual Xmas trip to the in-laws in CT. If my truck had 4WD than she'd just start suggesting we do those 12-17hr family trips in my truck which would add a third to it's annual mileage. Also, we have 3 boys in grade school. In wife's SUV they are allowed to eat/drink, but not in my vehicles. If we did one of these long trips in my truck there would be a family melt-down over the kids wanting to snack in the back seat and me not wanting to spend a half-day cleaning crumbs and dried fruit drink out of every damned crevice and stitch. When it comes to my wife and I having a disagreement about something, I pretty much only have 1 win/year, so it has to get saved for something that is truly a must win. Y'know, like "I'm buying a truck." So I'd lose the struggle with kids being allowed to snack in the back seat, and I'd be grinding my teeth the whole way. We'd be one big fruit drink spill from giving a kid away for medical experiments.

I did get the LSD diff tho. It's a dirt trail to the local shooting range and some race track paddocks are grass. When either are wet I might be grateful for 2 drive wheels instead of the single drive wheel you get with a full-slip diff.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you can get by on 4x2 more power to ya, but living in Minnesota 4x4 is a necessity. I would get stuck every winter or just crash going to work, we drive on ice all winter. I would get stuck on the lake ice fishing, I would get stuck in the field hunting. A truck is a tool and a 4x4 is just a better tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've always believed in a saying: You never need 4x4 until you REALLY NEED IT, and if you REALLY NEED IT but don't have it? That's what you call stuck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've always believed in a saying: You never need 4x4 until you REALLY NEED IT, and if you REALLY NEED IT but don't have it? That's what you call stuck.
Conversely, it takes 4WD to get really stuck. A false sense of security causes us to take risks that we would otherwise avoid. I speak from experience when I say that drivers do stupid things because they have 4WD. Truth is that 9 out of 10 trucks with 4WD could get by just as well with modern 2WD, good tires and a skilled hand at the wheel. For the other 10 percent, 4WD is an expensive but useful tool in some conditions. In either case, have hand tools and a backup plan for when you get stuck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Conversely, it takes 4WD to get really stuck. A false sense of security causes us to take risks that we would otherwise avoid. I speak from experience when I say that drivers do stupid things because they have 4WD. Truth is that 9 out of 10 trucks with 4WD could get by just as well with modern 2WD, good tires and a skilled hand at the wheel. For the other 10 percent, 4WD is an expensive but useful tool in some conditions. In either case, have hand tools and a backup plan for when you get stuck.
Shenanigans. I've never gotten stuck ever in any vehicle in 4x4 I've always used it to get out. I got a Ford Ranger stuck in a flat hayfield with 4x2 and had to get towed because the grass was too wet. Most embarassing truck moment of my life.

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's pretty easy to get stuck in deep snow 4x4 or not. Up here in the upper Midwest we need 4x4 to get around in the snow. It's hilarious when it snows 1/2" down south and the whole city shuts down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are definitely times when 4x4 is a must and, in the grand scheme of things, the additional cost is minimal. I've been in plenty of situations where traction control/LSD/lockers come just short of doing the job, but 4x4 handles it with ease. The perfect scenario is 4x4, good tires and a good driver. If you don't need the 4x4, so be it; but when you need it despite the good tires and driving, you won't want to be without it.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Point the front of the truck DOWN on wet grass or anything remotely slippery.

Now back up.

You NEED 4 x 4.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It is fun to watch 4x2 try to pull their boat out of the water on a slippery boat launch burning the tires with their fat friend in the bed of the truck jumping up and down for traction. good times.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts