RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that the small change in bed length price changes so dramatically between the Tradesman and Big Horn models?

Do they just figure they can gouge people if they step up to the upper models?

Or am I missing something?

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I was pricing, I think Bighorn was about $3k more but Laramie was only about $300 more fore the larger bed. I went Laramie.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just checked the difference with the Laramie and its $1950 also so maybe you lucked out.

The only reason I am considering upgrading from the Tradesman is to get the UConnect 8.4 with larger screen but apparently its not available in the Tradesman. So my next question is- is there a huge difference between the 6'4" and 5'7" beds? Seems like such a small amount of additional real estate. Obviously I would love to have a bigger bed but the additional $1950 doesnt sit well with me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It also changes your wheel base on the crew cabs. The longer wheel base with crew cab and 6'4" bed could be an issue if turning in tight quarters might be a concern.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just checked the difference with the Laramie and its $1950 also so maybe you lucked out.

So my next question is- is there a huge difference between the 6'4" and 5'7" beds? Seems like such a small amount of additional real estate. Obviously I would love to have a bigger bed but the additional $1950 doesnt sit well with me.
IMOHO, I personally would not own a truck with a bed length shorter then 6'. My reason for owning a truck is to load the bed with gear for hunting and fishing trips as well as other times.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I thought the same thing when I ordered my truck....

BUT....

Then I realized... going to the longer bed changes the base engine from the Pentastar, to the Hemi. If you build the truck with the diesel... you will see it's about $300 in the end.

Unfortunately for me... I realized it AFTER I ordered my truck. (I wish I would have gotten the longer bed)

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Thought the only way to get the longer bed was to get it with the quad cab instead of the crew. Thought the crew cabs all had the shorter bed. Think a crew cab with longer bed would require a longer frame and be longer truck than normal.

No clue about pricing but there is a pricing difference between crew and quad, along with all the different model pricing differences.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Go price a truck on other mfg web sites. The are all the same. The 5'7" bed carries a premium due to it being the most desirable size by sales volume. If you don't want to pay the money, get the bigger bed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thought the only way to get the longer bed was to get it with the quad cab instead of the crew. Thought the crew cabs all had the shorter bed. Think a crew cab with longer bed would require a longer frame and be longer truck than normal.

No clue about pricing but there is a pricing difference between crew and quad, along with all the different model pricing differences.
CC with 5'7" bed has a 140" WB, CC with 6'4" bed has a 149' Wheel Base. It doesn't turn as tight as my '99 2500 4x4 Quad.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Go price a truck on other mfg web sites. The are all the same. The 5'7" bed carries a premium due to it being the most desirable size by sales volume. If you don't want to pay the money, get the bigger bed.
Apparently the bigger bed costs $1950 more. I understand the costs may be more because of the longer wheelbase- I just think it's odd that the Tradesman CC costs only $610 more whereas all the other CC models cost $1950. I am just pricing the ED and not the Hemi. Seems like the CC wheelbase should be the same for the Tradesman, Big Horn and Laramie? Anyway, it appears to be a marketing thing as they figure people who get the higher models might not care.

I personally like longer beds as I intend to use my truck to haul things. I don't understand how people like the short beds unless you live in a major city where parking is an issue. But maybe I'll be getting a shortbed and saving $1950!

·
Registered
360 Posts
The price difference is because of the change in base engine, CC 5'7s up to Laramie use the Pentastar, going up to a CC 6'4 bed moves you to a Hemi. It is an $1150 upgrade to the Hemi so at the high end of $1950 it is actually only 800 between them.

Tradesman CC
5'7 4x4 $35195
6'4 4x4 $35805 (800, but does NOT use the 8 speed, add $500 to go the 8 speed all other include in the upcharge already, 'real' charge of $1300)

SLT CC
5'7 4x2 $35445 4x4 $38665
6'4 4x2 $37395 4x4 $40615 (1950-1150= $800 upcharge)

Laramie CC
5'7 4x4 $43825
6'4 4x4 $45825 (1980-1150= $800 upcharge)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The price difference is because of the change in base engine, CC 5'7s up to Laramie use the Pentastar, going up to a CC 6'4 bed moves you to a Hemi. It is an $1150 upgrade to the Hemi so at the high end of $1950 it is actually only 800 between them.
Wow I hadn't thought about the engine differences but that's a good point. That makes total sense PTC. That changes how I view the models now. I was heavily leaning towards the Tradesman but now I might just have to go Laramie.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wow I hadn't thought about the engine differences but that's a good point. That makes total sense PTC. That changes how I view the models now. I was heavily leaning towards the Tradesman but now I might just have to go Laramie.
Price out all trucks to the finish and pay close attention to each packages options. In the end for me it was the outdoorsman that got me more of what I wanted. Even has fender flares and heavier shocks, just some of the fine details that can pay off in the end. Read through it all when ordering after all you have the chance to build it like you want one hot deal though. Really hard to change after submitted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I originally wanted to get the 6'4" bed, but with the price difference I could go buy a 4'x8' or bigger trailer. So long story short if your looking at close to 2k difference, why not just go buy a trailer?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I originally wanted to get the 6'4" bed, but with the price difference I could go buy a 4'x8' or bigger trailer. So long story short if your looking at close to 2k difference, why not just go buy a trailer?
It's another piece of equipment to maintain and store.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went for the 6'4" be because I wanted the rambox and it gave me a little more cargo room but I saved 4200 by getting the QC instead of the CC. It's rare that anyone will ever sit in the back seat of my truck and if they complain they can walk...

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's another piece of equipment to maintain and store.
Exactly that, plus I priced out the CC 6'4 bed vs CC 5'7 and my final price with all options the same was $800. I can't get a decent trailer and store it for under 800 bucks for the lifetime of the truck. Plus then I'd have to have the trailer with me all the time in case I decide to go get something on my way home.

My problem is coming from a Suburban that I have filled from the back of the front seat to the back door and almost to the roof with camping gear. It will be a tight fit in the back seat and under a tonneau, might have to steal the brother-in-laws hitch carrier for the hay bales if it rains.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went for the 6'4" be because I wanted the rambox and it gave me a little more cargo room but I saved 4200 by getting the QC instead of the CC. It's rare that anyone will ever sit in the back seat of my truck and if they complain they can walk...
Haha good one. I'm a single guy but I'm opting for the CC because I'm coming from a car (whose back seat actually has less room than a QC) and wanted to maintain that ability to haul coworkers or extended family comfortably when they visit. Plus it seems to me that resale value on CC is higher. I was looking for a used diesel truck before I decided to go the ED route and could find nothing but QC's available and when the one time a CC showed up it would demand top dollar. I think the truck companies know this so they jack up the CC in price big time. I really doubt the extra inches you get in the CC costs them anywhere near $4200 but it's good for the bottom line!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts