RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wish we had that around here. That's what the factory ships in the EDs and Cummins vehicles to the dealers. How much more expensive is it by you?

·
Registered
188 Posts
question on this fuel: Diesel by my work is 50 and it's about $0.20 more/gallon than the fuel by my house which isn't 50. Is it worth the extra to get the 50? I don't know anything about it but I did give it a quick google.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It should burn cleaner and produce less soot. The engine will run quieter. It is pretty much diesel with the additives already in it. I get it for the same price as regular 40 cetane diesel.

·
Super Moderator
4,050 Posts
question on this fuel: Diesel by my work is 50 and it's about $0.20 more/gallon than the fuel by my house which isn't 50. Is it worth the extra to get the 50?
If I had the choice I would, but that's just me. Like Bookmaker stated the engine will run smoother and cleaner.
As it is now, I run Opti-Lube XPD diesel fuel additive mostly for the added lubricity, but it also adds anti-gel, demulsifier, cetane boost and injector cleaner.

·
Registered
561 Posts
California's lower Cetane limit is 54 but I'm paying $3.65/gallon.

We have Propel stations that sell Diesel HPR (High Performance Renewable) that is 75+ Cetane.

I think the Federal lower limit is 40 Cetane.

·
Registered
188 Posts
California's lower Cetane limit is 54 but I'm paying $3.65/gallon.

We have Propel stations that sell Diesel HPR (High Performance Renewable) that is 75+ Cetane.

I think the Federal lower limit is 40 Cetane.
well, now that I know that....how do I know the cetane rating at the pump? I don't recall ever seeing a sticker like the octane has.

·
Registered
130 Posts
well, now that I know that....how do I know the cetane rating at the pump? I don't recall ever seeing a sticker like the octane has.
Same here, I've never seen a cetane rating sticker at the stations near me. the station I usually go to (Mobil) has a sticker that says "Not a Mobil branded product" but that's it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have my own 275 gallon storage tank at home, and at least my wholesaler can get me #2 summer diesel with a cetane of around 54 vs the 40 cetane at the pumps. I don't run the summer stuff from mid December thru March, but my Ram loves the "good" stuff. Also, I have a 2 micron filter on my bulk tank, so my Ram's fuel filters come out very clean with 30,000 mile changes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts