RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner and forum member. I have to ask, every single mod I read about claims more MPG....If I did them all, I should be getting 50MPG. Are there any legit ones or must do out there? Specifically, highest return for the $ invested and preferably those that wont potentially void a warranty considering it is a new truck. I am aware that for any warranty work they would have to prove the mod caused but I don't want to give them any excuse should something arise.

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Only use the products that use snake oil.

But seriously, I had an 04 hemi, and if I added up all the HP and mpg claims from every aftermarket accessory, I probably would have had 500 horse and should have gotten +20mpg instead of 11mpg. Diesels however after a little more responsive to engine programming though. Start with a good ECU program to give you the best bang for your buck. Intake and exhaust are all negligible for the time being unless you are deleted but then you don't need to worry about your warranty too much

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not sure what the temps are after the inter-cooler. But I'm sure there's room to obtained some HP with a better inter-cooler. I doubt MPG will come from that though. But colder denser air with a tune should provide more HP then the stock inter-cooler setup and lower EGT's some.

However, the turbine side of the ED turbo is the lacking part in the system to make HP. Durability with lets say an extra 100WHP daily driver, who knows but if someone doesn't push these trucks we will never know.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Keep your speed down and your mileage will rise. It is that easy ( next to an aftermarket tune).

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
If there was a way to improve mileage legally and legitimately, the manufacturer would be doing it. The GDE tune will net you a couple mpg more, but at the expense of being not quite kosher, if that bothers you. It should pass current smog tests currently in the U.S. See the many other threads regarding the GDE tune on this forum... Good luck in your quest...

·
Registered
619 Posts
I been reading all these posts about the GDE and logged into their web page today. Sounds like a lot of money for little gain if you drive like me, I'm old and slow. I never go over 5 mile an hour over the speed limits and am not in a hurry to get there.

So are there other benefits other than a little better mileage and quicker response? I see the price is $750ish US which would make it pretty much 1 000 for me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
GDE tune and good light weight tonneau cover. GDE is solid early investment if you want the truck for the long haul. Do research here read all the posts about them(GDE).

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I been reading all these posts about the GDE and logged into their web page today. Sounds like a lot of money for little gain if you drive like me, I'm old and slow. I never go over 5 mile an hour over the speed limits and am not in a hurry to get there.

So are there other benefits other than a little better mileage and quicker response? I see the price is $750ish US which would make it pretty much 1 000 for me.
I am only planning on keeping the truck a maximum of the warranty period, 8 yr. / 80K miles) and then trading or selling. So, a tune would not pay for itself in my case. IMO, these trucks are too complex and to go without a warranty is to commit financial suicide.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just my two cents in regards to the cost. I paid 1500 in my last diesel 03 f350 to have plugs welded in the EGR with an edge to remove the codes. I gained no power and was done just to make the motor last. As far and mpg I'm on same page as everyone else best way to gain mpg is with the right foot.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
50 mpg might be done by cutting off the body, making a low, pointed enclosure just over the motor and some kind of lay-down operating position. You would need to cut the weight and wind resistance way down. Then maybe lop off a couple cylinders, add large diameter but tiny width tires hard as all heck, change gearing to something like a 1:55 rear end, lighten all oils etc.

All that could be done to get to the 50 mpg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If there was a way to improve mileage legally and legitimately, the manufacturer would be doing it. The GDE tune will net you a couple mpg more, but at the expense of being not quite kosher, if that bothers you. It should pass current smog tests currently in the U.S. See the many other threads regarding the GDE tune on this forum... Good luck in your quest...
Thanks for all the great replies. I would love to do a GDE tune. It would be worth it to me to gain another 2-3 mpg. but i would lean toward keeping the orig. ECM for any warranty work which seems to double the cost of such. Am I missing something? Would I not even need to worry about that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
50 mpg might be done by cutting off the body, making a low, pointed enclosure just over the motor and some kind of lay-down operating position. You would need to cut the weight and wind resistance way down. Then maybe lop off a couple cylinders, add large diameter but tiny width tires hard as all heck, change gearing to something like a 1:55 rear end, lighten all oils etc.

All that could be done to get to the 50 mpg.
Capt., have you been spying on my secret project?

moded ram.jpg

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies. I would love to do a GDE tune. It would be worth it to me to gain another 2-3 mpg. but i would lean toward keeping the orig. ECM for any warranty work which seems to double the cost of such. Am I missing something? Would I not even need to worry about that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
If you plan on keeping the truck a long time, then perhaps the increase in mileage alone doesn't justify the tune, but the increase in mileage plus longevity of the engine certainly does. Many don't keep the old ECM and do the return for re-tune thing if necessary.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Keep your speed down and your mileage will rise. It is that easy ( next to an aftermarket tune).
A friend of mine bought a new Freightliner a few years back. He was complaining of spending so much on fuel. He was running 70 mph. I asked him if he wanted to make an extra $10k to $15k a year. Of course he said yes. He slowed down to 55/60 and saved a fortune.

Every 1 MPH above 55 translates to 1/10 of a
MPG lost. Going from 5mpg to 6mpg saves about $1,000 per month.

EcoDiesel is no different. Mcsap is right. Slow down, save fuel, keep more $$ in your pocket.

A delete tune is probably the biggest bang for your buck. More power, less breakdowns, and you'll probably pick up a few mpg in the process.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Here you go, getting close.

About a year ago Green Car Report did a drive from Chicago to LA and on a short 1 hour leg hit 49 mpg.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I am only planning on keeping the truck a maximum of the warranty period, 8 yr. / 80K miles) and then trading or selling. So, a tune would not pay for itself in my case. IMO, these trucks are too complex and to go without a warranty is to commit financial suicide.
I'm hoping by the time my extended warranty is up, GDE will have a tune update that turns off and/or ignores every sensor on this machine. As you say, we won't be able to afford to keep them on the road otherwise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts