RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer has a charge of $500 for "DFD" 8-Spd Auto 8HP70 Trans (Buy). I found that it was strange that the transmission would not be included in the base price. I was able to view my Window Sticker on-line yesterday, no mention of the $500 for transmission.

Is this the Dealer trying to get an extra $500?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Assuming you bought a Diesel? If so than the 8 Speed is standard. Not sure why the dealer would list a charge of $500. Think it would be wise to ask.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Maybe. I didn't pay anything extra for the transmission.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The dealer is correct. The Hemi and Diesel both get the up charge for the HP70 trans. ($500)

The reason they don't tell you about it "From the base price", is because they don't know what the base price is. Some trucks have the Pentastar V6 and some have the hemi. AND, generally, they quote the price from the Hemi. ($2850)

·
Registered
827 Posts
When I was obsessively building trucks at RamTrucks.com a couple months ago the $500 up charge for the tranny was always there. Not on my window sticker tho. In any big bureaucracy one can expect internal pieces to not always be in synch with each other. It's just the nature of dealing with a bureaucracy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My $500 tranny option was on my POC along with all the builds I did at RAM.com

$500 tranny
$4000 engine

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Here is the Window Sticker with no mention of the $500 up charge , I want to have my facts before going in to finish the deal.

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7VM5ES389920

*****EDIT******

SOrry... I misspoke.

You got a Laramie. The base engine is the Hemi, so the trans is included in the base price, and the "Up Charge" for the Diesel was only $2850. On my BigHorn... the base engine was the V6 Pentastar. SO... the engine Up-Charge was $4000, and the trans was $500.

FYI... If you order a lower model with the Crew Cab and the 6'4" bed... then Hemi is standard also.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Doc, you sure the Hemi is standard with the Laramie? IIRC, my build sheet lists a $4k charge for my Laramie EcoD, with the V6 as standard. I'll need to dig around for the details. This point has always confused me, as I thought the Hemi was standard in the Laramie, too, but the build details on my truck have me wondering otherwise...

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Hemi WAS standard with the Laramies, I believe it changed in the spring (March/April) and they introduced the Pentastar as its base engine. If you ordered early, Hemi was base and $2850 upcharge, more recently V6 and the $4500 hit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
They are officially robbing you. All 2014 RAM's come with the ZF 8 speed. I think the only model that is an exception is the HFE and the Sport. All powertrains will officially be using the 8 speed even the new 2015 Challenger Hellcat!!

However you guys may have a different configuration option in the USA. I never saw that $500 charge.

·
Registered
827 Posts
They are officially robbing you. All 2014 RAM's come with the ZF 8 speed. I think the only model that is an exception is the HFE and the Sport. All powertrains will officially be using the 8 speed even the new 2015 Challenger Hellcat!!
You, ah, have some funny ideas re. how goods and services are priced in a a free market. If folks are buying a good or service, then the price is in the right ballpark.

·
Registered
360 Posts

However you guys may have a different configuration option in the USA. I never saw that $500 charge.
Not all come with a ZF 8 speed and there are TWO versions of the ZF, the Pentastar equipped models come with the FCA made 8HP45 model. The Hemi and EcoDiesel models come with the ZF built 8HP70 transmission. Unless you get a Hemi equipped Tradesman in which case it is possible to find 6 speed (65RFE) equipped Hemi models, they are rarer but I have seen a couple on lots and dealer webpages.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
My engine upgrade to Ecodiesel is listed at $4,000 on the window sticker. That's for a Tradesman. The transmission is also listed separately and mine shows the 8HP70 as $500 right on the sticker. Over base Pentestar gas with the 8HP45 transmission mine has $4,500 added on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I never looked or paid attention to anything but the cost difference between the hemi because I felt that was my only other option. Then I worked hard to keep the dealers from taking advantage of me so the economics of owning a diesel worked out. That is why I said I'd never own another diesel the math didn't workout in the full cost of ownership.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Compared to the Hemi, it's $2800 something plus the $500 for the diesel transmission. Now I think I saw some Hemi's with that 70 series transmission. That would knock out the $500 fee there. Then it would probably be hidden in the base price. .

Compared to the V6 gas it's 4 grand plus the transmission.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There's no logic to it. I too have looked at millions of window stickers. Mine is a Laramie yet it shows $4k for the Diesel and $500 for the tranny....BUT, my "base price" is $1650 less than other stickers that show the diesel for $2850 and no tranny charge. So what does this mean? Nobody got ripped off. It all adds up to the same price!!!!

·
Registered
360 Posts
There is a logic to it, your Laramie's base engine was the Pentastar and earlier produced Laramies' had the Hemi as their base engine. Your 1650 difference is the $1150 engine and $500 transmission upgrade from the Pentastar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts