RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how our headlight system works?

From my understanding the headlight has a Halogen bulb with a glass lens as the housing.

I want to put 5000k bulbs in however I am not sure if there is a ballast for the oem light or what the hell is going on in there. I am hearing that the wiring harness picks up the slightest changes in current and causes a trouble light to appear on the dash.

Is it true???

That sounds to hardcore for a Chrysler. My 2006 dodge charger had no such devices to control current. However Chrysler was a totally different company 6 years ago! (that was my polite way of saying cheap).

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you have projector headlights that can be adjusted for HIDs its possible. If not don't put them in there I fuggin hate people like that, I get ebbing them and turn on my highbeams from my 4x4 and let them know how it feels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like you'll need a set of hid's thats are canbus. It seems like they are going the way of the luxury cars. They sense the difference in current/resistance to detect if there is a bulb out somewhere. Usually this is simply defeated by getting canbus hids but worst case scenario you may need a canceller. I'll do some research, see what I can dig up for the rams.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you'll need a set of hid's thats are canbus. It seems like they are going the way of the luxury cars. They sense the difference in current/resistance to detect if there is a bulb out somewhere. Usually this is simply defeated by getting canbus hids but worst case scenario you may need a canceller. I'll do some research, see what I can dig up for the rams.
Thanks Andy I appreciate your help. And for everyone out there, you will not blind anyone with your bright hid kit as long as you have a projector lens housing. I've been through this with my charger. I made a home made housing and it worked amazing. If you have the stock housing, be prepared to piss off a lot of ppl.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
HIDs should not be put in halogen lenses. They do not direct the light but scatter it and blinds oncoming drivers. HIDs should only be used in the proper headlit housing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DataRider

·
Registered
24 Posts
HIDs should not be put in halogen lenses. They do not direct the light but scatter it and blinds oncoming drivers. HIDs should only be used in the proper headlit housing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Normally I would agree, as you are mostly correct. HID's do not have the same dimensions as the halogen bulbs they replace so the light does get scattered and tends to blind people. I have been victim of said blinding. However, that seems to only ring true with reflector housings. Projector housings aren't (as) susceptible to the same scattering/misdirecting of the light due to the fact that the housings have a cutoff shield built in, which prevents the light from being projected above a certain height. This will in most cases prevent blinding of oncoming drivers, assuming the headlights are aligned properly and/or you aren't towing. I always recommend checking your headlight alignment after any major changes like that. Cheers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think I am going to throw a set from retrofit source in my truck. Does anyone know if separate hi/low beam lights are used in the projectors, or is it a single bulb?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am going to throw a set from retrofit source in my truck. Does anyone know if separate hi/low beam lights are used in the projectors, or is it a single bulb?
Retrofit source sells great stuff. I bought projector lenses and bulbs for a retrofit on my 2006 charger. I believe our projector lens has the internal flap that switches from low to high beam. It's one bulb. I'll confirm it tonight if I have time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to update everyone that I have confirmed that our low beam bulbs are 9012 size and also are in a proper projector lens. There is a nice clean cut off line that we cannot see with our stock bulbs unless they are lighting a wall up close. TRS (retrofit source) sells a mopar kit that is designed for our chrysler canbus vehicles. That being said,there is a video on you tube (I searched ram 1500 hid) and found someone with a 2013 install this kit. The headlight assembly has to be removed and a bit of modifiaction needs to be made to the headlight assemnbly to support the wires. What I like about this install is that the individual places the actual ballast inside the headlight assemby! I am still on the fence as to place the ballast inside the head aseembly to avoid climate changes or just place it in the engine bay. Anyway I will be ordering this kit and I'll post some pics when I finally have her up and running.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I tried ordering the kit from TRS and they have the capcitors on back order... I did some more searching around and ended up buying an HID kit off of Xenon HID Kits - HID Headlight Kits | XenonHIDs.com.

It was $40 cheaper than TRS and shipping is free. The only ballasts that are CANBUS freindly are there moon ballasts. Will keep everyone informed of the install and provide pics.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
What are the actual advantages of hid over our stock headlights? Real world not what the ads say!

Too bad I would have ordered a kit with ya I see if you order multiple you get discounts..... did you get fog light ones as well?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HID's with projectors make a huge difference. I don't understand why they didnt include a DS2 headlight system in our stock headlight assemblies. Its really dumb and cheap. I'll take some before and after shots to answer your question. As for the fog lights, Iam tempted but I am pretty sure I'll be blinding people with that setup. There is no reflector covering the light. I might retrofit a projector lens. I am still debating. Its a lot of work to make it work properly. I've already done this on my dodge charger since I wasnt willing to pay $1000 per headlight just to have a projector lens.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What are the actual advantages of hid over our stock headlights? Real world not what the ads say!
The last couple of vehicles I've owned have had factory HID lighting, or I have fitted them with OEM HID assemblies and done the wiring and fuses needed (which is nice because the ballast is incorporated into the lamp housing). In short - it's worth every penny.

There really is a big difference over halogen in the way the light is thrown and focused. It's a "cleaner" light so to speak, bright, white and reflective objects are seen from a much greater distance, which is fantastic if you've got reflective paint used on the roads, and feels like you can see for miles.

With aftermarket, you absolutely need to have something designed for HID that incorporates a shroud or whatever in the projector to address beam cutoff, and hopefully the ability to open up for full on high beam. Otherwise it tends to just puke the light every which way you have hot spots, dim spots and the light generally looks like ass (been there, done that lol).

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Doing some research last night it seems people really like philups kits... any comments? I'm not so much concerned with cost, as much as quality product. It seems everyone says this one or that one is the best....what do you guys all think?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well after lots of research I ordered an hid retro kit for TRS. Spoke to matt from TRS who was very help full as they didn't have a kit specifically put together already for mine. I went with the denso ballast (a little higher end then the other one they carry) and the plug and play kit together with resistors, relays and capacitors and 5000K lamps.... worked out to 255+ 27 for shipping all USD.... hope it's a good system! Definately not the cheapest!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I ended up ordering a cheap canbus 35w system from opt7. It had good reviews and is supposed to be plug and play with our trucks - no cancelers/resistors or relays. It was only $80, so if it's junk, no big deal.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yah TRS makes good stuff but Iam not willing to spend $300 on lights. You can honestly use any CANBUS ballast if it ever fails. Plus the lens in our trucks isn't super amazing. The lens makes such a difference. Acura's have the best OEM lenses out there. Its rediculous how auto manufacturers haven't caught up with them.

My kit cost me $160 with CANBUS ballasts, 5000k bulbs, capacitors, and cancellers. Not bad but who knows about quality.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yah TRS makes good stuff but Iam not willing to spend $300 on lights. You can honestly use any CANBUS ballast if it ever fails. Plus the lens in our trucks isn't super amazing. The lens makes such a difference. Acura's have the best OEM lenses out there. Its rediculous how auto manufacturers haven't caught up with them.

My kit cost me $160 with CANBUS ballasts, 5000k bulbs, capacitors, and cancellers. Not bad but who knows about quality.
I'm sure there will be minimal if any difference, except for a lighter wallet....

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just got my lights installed - the kit came with canbus specific ballasts, capacitors, and a relay. The directions stated only to use the relay on vehicles from 2004 or earlier or if the lights flickered when installed using the vehicle power source. I threw them in with no flickering or cell, so I opted not to use the relay.

So far, they seem to work ok. I plan to check amperage draw on startup just to make sure they are fine.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts