RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as most have said, the reluctor wheel recall can be a dangerous problem. It always seems to happen at the worst possible time.
I was driving into VT for a meeting and got caught behind a slowpoke going 35-40 in a 50 zone.
Came to a passing zone and began the pass and halfway past the truck craps out!! Now I'm in the wrong lane with NO power at all. Luckily I was able to get back behind the car and in front of the line of cars that was behind me and part way off the road. I was only about 1 foot from a drainage ditch on a NARROW 2 lane road, traffic had to stop to get around with traffic coming from both directions with a lot of 18 wheeler traffic, NOT a safe place to be.
This could have been a disaster had there been vehicles coming the other way.

I'm only assuming that it's the W58 recall. No noise, nothing dripping, and eng will crank about 3 revolutions and stop.
All I saw was a "SERVICE Electronic brakes" message because I was too busy trying not to get killed.

40 minutes from the house took 3 1/2 hours to get back home.

Dealer is saying 2 week bfore they can even look at it. :mad:

I swapped out my ECU that has the GDE tune but can't get it back now unless I have the tranny pulled out and the wheel replaced :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This REALLY Sucks!

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I'm glad that you're safe. What is your year and mileage?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2015, 59,020 Mi. Does anyone know if GDE will re-tune after the w58 Re-flash?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
2015, 59,020 Mi. Does anyone know if GDE will re-tune after the w58 Re-flash?
If you have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune, then he can send you the update.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Ugh......sorry that happened to you alot folks don't seem to understand how the loss of power can affect you at a crucial moment glad you were able to navigate safely thru it. A two week wait on top of the that is a bit of salt in an open wound.

Hopefully the dealer will be able to get on it sooner, let us know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
This has happened to many while in the process of passing someone so the engine is running at higher RPM. Makes sense it comes apart under those circumstances if it’s compromised. Glad you’re ok.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never got the recall on my 19 Classic. Does the reluctor wheel affect only the 14-18 models? I know the recall does say that but sometimes they use 14-18 to imply 2nd gen and forget about the classics although it’s the same platform.
Sorry this happened to you and glad you are safe OP.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Reactions: madmax1212

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune, then he can send you the update.
No,I have the original Hot Tune.
Happy to hear you stayed safe. I assume you didn't have the w58 recall completed.
No I didn't have the recall done because of my $850 GDE Tune that I'm going to lose anyways.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The worst part is the vehicle you were attempting to pass probably pointed and laughed at you when you broke down next to them while attempting to pass them, like a “haha” in a Nelson from The Simpsons voice.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The worst part is the vehicle you were attempting to pass probably pointed and laughed at you when you broke down next to them while attempting to pass them, like a “haha” in a Nelson from The Simpsons voice.
D'oh! When something go's wrong blame the guy that can't speak English....

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
No,I have the original Hot Tune.

No I didn't have the recall done because of my $850 GDE Tune that I'm going to lose anyways.
You don’t have to loose your original GDE tune. You just need to find an ECU and program it to your truck with Alphaobd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts